Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    I caught the Cerys programme about the Sacred Harp singers yesterday on r4.
    Too short, but a competent taster. Interested to hear that this style of singing is being adopted in Europe & the Uk too.
    I wonder where? And can anyone remember which r3 presenter first played it ? Was it LJ or one of the World programmes?
    I'd like to thank them...
    The guy they talked to went to one in Neasdon - they might have been the choir that came into the Cerys studios a couple of weeks back and sang a couple of songs. You're right Global - it could have done with some more - great singing - loved hearing 'Amazing Grace' getting sung at a good lick.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      The guy they talked to went to one in Neasdon - they might have been the choir that came into the Cerys studios a couple of weeks back and sang a couple of songs. You're right Global - it could have done with some more - great singing - loved hearing 'Amazing Grace' getting sung at a good lick.
      Ah, no harps! An enjoyable programme. The polyphonic texture of the singing reminded me more of non-American Georgia than, say, Bulgaria or the Med. Con gusto! In spirit, it is even closer to the shaker songs found in Copland and elsewhere. I am not sure if we heard quite how it travelled from New England. Clearly, though, it is a force for good that is now having far-reaching appeal. I have always felt that religion is most likely to be broadly persuasive via music. And, of course, by being non-denominational.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        Ah, no harps! An enjoyable programme. The polyphonic texture of the singing reminded me more of non-American Georgia than, say, Bulgaria or the Med. Con gusto! In spirit, it is even closer to the shaker songs found in Copland and elsewhere. I am not sure if we heard quite how it travelled from New England. Clearly, though, it is a force for good that is now having far-reaching appeal. I have always felt that religion is most likely to be broadly persuasive via music. And, of course, by being non-denominational.
        Ah yes, the immortal words of Cliff Richard: 'why should the devil have all the best songs?'

more seriously it would be interesting to take a wider look at polyphonic singing across different cultures and times to understand it's relationship with religion.

Comment

Ah yes, the immortal words of Cliff Richard: 'why should the devil have all the best songs?' ...
          You're risking an early morning call from the Army* there,

* Sally Army, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            You're risking an early morning call from the Army* there,

* Sally Army, that is.
            Stand by your beds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCHI23FTP8

Comment

Cliff's version of that one is a total belter!

Comment

Cliff's version of that one is a total belter!
                Based on this I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtZ6DoeimP4

Comment

A treat coming up from Oilrig on Fri 21 Dec 11-1

Mary Ann Kennedy with tracks from across the globe, plus some previously unheard recordings from last summer's WOMAD Festival, including the mighty Hugh Masekela, Quebec foot-tappers Genticorum, star of Nigerian Afrobeat Femi Kuti, Danish folkies Habadekuk and the legendary Buena Vista Social Club.
                  Whilst on the 23rd, they've prised World Routes from Dr L's sticky fingers and
                  Moshe Morad continues his exploration of Rembetiko or the Greek blues, as it's known.
                  Recorded in Athens, the programme includes sessions by some of Greece's top folk musicians and concerts from some of the city's oldest clubs.
                  I'm sure the good Doctor will approve.

and, er, that's all I can find. Perhaps these will brighten things up a bit as well ...

if not then one of these certainly will

(other brands are available)
                  Last edited by Globaltruth; 08-12-12, 06:32. Reason: nearly forgot to put 3 dots in somewhere...

Comment

By the way did anyone catch Caroline Charles on Private Passions at 12 today?

Check out her first & last tracks...flying the flag baby

Comment

Wish I could find this somewhere to point you towards but if you fancy a listen you'll need to go 35 mins in to Paul Jones from Monday night - :
                      Katie Bell Nubin, with Dizzie Gillespie & His Orchestra
                      'Pressin’ On' from
                      Complete Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Vol. 7, Frémaux & Associés, FA1307

...she was Sister Rosetta's Mum. Great track, I thought - here's the link to the show if you fancy a listen.
                      Paul presents new releases and classic R&B, plus maybe a hint of a bluesy Christmas.

While I was there they played a trail to a Rad2 show about 'Dusty at the BBC' - a programme about the less visited rooms in the vaults in Broadcasting House.
                      Johnnie Walker introduces a portrait of Dusty drawn from BBC archive
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 18-12-12, 09:21. Reason: stoorie!

Comment

today's sally army fans, ever keen to get, have, buy, want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GumXcKArk-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS77SQhdvVY with funki porcini's 'this aint no way to live' as a soundtrack.

Katie Bell Nubin, with Dizzie Gillespie & His Orchestra 'Pressin’ On' from Complete Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Vol. 7, Frémaux & Associés, FA1307 ...she was Sister Rosetta's Mum. Great track, I thought - here's the link to the show if you fancy a listen.

thanks for that jc.....! impressive (as always, but incredible to also hear her mum)!! but who's paul jones again, he was once (very) famous?

although unfortunately i let the prog play on a bit and accidentally bumped into christina alligator doing eczemasvomitsong it's so hazerdous this time of year! (sorry if the last bit lowered the tone, but it sounded really awful to me....who ever picked that festive monstrosity..mr jones)?

i am enjoying the 'world routes' greek explorations this far. though sad, when asked about the economic crisis and its effect on traditional music, that the chap replied that 'greece doesn't value its musical heritage'! i suspect it might be because, like most other places, an ever larger proportion are listening to US mainstream influenced stuff? so it's a good job that dr duran and moshe moradis are getting around that part of the world, in case some music forms and existing clubs disappear entirely.

though hardship can also give olde traditions more oxygen too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfqNfQcCuM4&feature=fvw - excellent use of a cd player and a concrete rooftop! i first saw this dance at bayonne folk festival france in the 1980s, when it was still a failrly small annual fixture! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ba...04_%281%29.jpg the festival is massive now!

having been meaning to, i've finally lined 'world routes ' up on my dad's ipad, and bookmarked the prog for him for future reference ....as he always means to listen but forgets.

james p and lucy d have got one more listener in blighty this christmas! tum tee tum, every little helps n all! (i must do the same with mak's show too.... , rather than try to describe music programmes (usually in a torrent of incoherent babble), at meal times.

Comment

Prom 74: Staff Benda Bilili and Baloji

Tonight at 21.30 a repeat of the World Music Prom:
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01phtly

Almost as rare an event as this...

Comment

Tonight at 21.30 a repeat of the World Music Prom:

indeed, G.
                            Through a slight haze on Wednesday morning (was it?) I enjoyed a bit of Egyptian Baladi on R4.
                            Guy Schalom hunts out the spirit of the new Egypt in the musical roots of the bellydance

Comment

indeed, G.
                              Through a slight haze on Wednesday morning (was it?) I enjoyed a bit of Egyptian Baladi on R4.
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pg3qt
                              But did you catch the programme about Kirriemuir ? By the way, in passing, - that drawing; i reckon it was genuine - giant squid will take a whale like that apparently...if they eat too much it costs them more than a fiver to get better though: sick squid

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pgh27
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 28-12-12, 13:37. Reason: Kindly added linkage

Comment

Which story do you prefer?

I was planning to post a link to the programme Fiona Talkington did with Stuart Maconie on Radio 6 about songs that tell stories. Sadly it was awful, so my suggestion is that you should avoid it (PS will not be surprised).

Instead I'm recommending the album from The Life of PI (here it is on Spotify http://open.spotify.com/album/0ogV7CBV00ONXAVx4tm0gk), simply the best film & the best film music of 2012 - not just for WM fans either...not just me, another grumpy old g*t endorses it over on the Arts forum too. If you only go to 1 film, make sure it's that one, make sure it's 3D

Comment

Working...
                                X