Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catching up on the back catalogue since arriving back, I thought I'd take in Prom 17 and very glad I did - Aruna Sairam is quite magnificent and driven along by the very fine veena of Hari Sivanesan and excellent percussion it was something I will have another look at. This BBC3 world music mentoring seemed much more effective than I recall last year's event being.

Comment

I will definitely dig that one out -in backlog mode at the moment; I haven't listened to all the WOMAD programmes, but I did catch a real stinker on Sat... which I switched off after 20 mins of Susheela Raman caterwauling.
      Not quite sure what happened there - was it just me (?) - I really didn't enjoy it at any level.

I'll revisit the rest of the show because I am a fan of Hassan Erraji and I'd like to catch the Nightingale from the North. But first, when I have time it will be this one
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012whh6 - don't seem to tire of Dub Colossus...

Comment

Driving from the west we went in and out of reception Global - mostly out. I did catch a bit of Aurelio Martinez and thought he sounded great and caught half a track by Dub Colossus before we re-entered to Radio Luxemburg territory.
        Yesterday I heard a Hardangar fiddler who I also really enjoyed.
        I did hear a fine track on Cerys yesterday by Mamani Keita - sounded a wee bit Amadou and mariam at first, but I really liked her voice. Here it is from Spotty.

She played this too, says he in a totally unconnected fashion.

Mighty fine!

Comment

>>I switched off after 20 mins

I was there.
          And can tell you that I'm a fifteen minute man, myself

Comment

Lat - we've discussed D.I.D. in the past - Danny Baker was this week's castaway - I know he gets a bit of a mixed press (here as well as elsewhere) but I thought he did something pretty interesting. He chose eight records from the time till he was about six years old and played them saying they had stayed with him and that they had in some way influenced much that came after. What a mouth by Tommy Steele, a rather good version of Underneath the Arches by Max Bygraves (never thought I'd hear myself say that), Peter Sellars, Dean Martin...and Cliff singing 'the next time', which was on an EP that was one of the first records to come in our house - hadn't heard it for years but knew all the words. I thought it was an unusual take on the D.I.D. theme. Had me wondering what would be the songs that I would choose - those early songs that made an impact. Eddie Calvert is one I remember getting turned up on the wireless when it came on. My mum liked him.

Comment

Interesting. I am not anti-Danny. Just not hugely pro. On paper, he should be a presenter who really appeals. A lot of interesting facts and approaches. I prefer him to many. However, I don't catch everything he says. He gabbles a bit. I find Gid a little bit like that too. Have been dipping in to 6music again - Gid and Tom Ravenscroft. That evening programme works musically for me. Very much liked recent tracks by Brent Cash and Pete and the Pirates. Have also noted Butcher Boy, the Woodcraft Folk and the Outsiders, among others. A further listen to "Impossible Germany" may mark a change of view on Wilco - very, very, good - and there was that excellent Mickey Newbury track "Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In".

Still working my way through the Womad broadcasts. Do agree with you GT on Susheela Raman. That particular programme wasn't for me - the Hassan Erraji and the Khaira Arby. Plenty of good stuff though still to come.

On early records, 1970 was my year. Age 7. Started writing down the Top 30 every week and everything changed then both for better and worse. Danny was clearly more receptive to music at a younger age. I was listening to the radio ships' broadcasts and other stations in the 1960s - going "over the wavebands" as Van would have it. Tony Brandon, I think, and probably JP with "Perfumed Garden". A few more. Bit muddled on the dates but at 5 or 6 it was like a foreign language with more than just an audio dimension. There are records from that period that stick in my mind particularly - "Albatross", "The Israelites", others.

My parents were understandably thinking more in terms of "Junior Choice" and an early memory is having had played the Alan Price version of "Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear". The Randy Newman original is now a favourite for that reason. Some of the old songs that were redone in the seventies tap in to thoughts of my grandparents and my parents - "Misty", "I Only Have Eyes For You", even "Shadow of Your Smile". But my childhood is all represented by 1970, a very traumatic year in which music became the answer - "Woodstock", "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "To Be Young Gifted and Black", "Tears of a Clown", "Abraham Martin and John", "Big Yellow Taxi" and many, many, more.

(Actually, I think if there is any tune that says to me "this is radio, this is life" from what was a kid's perspective, it is this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0Ur...eature=related)
              Last edited by Guest; 05-08-11, 01:00.

Comment

I'll be very interested to read the feedback from tonight's prom,
                the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra playing Mahler.

I predict a 2-0 win for the Orch., with Dudamel scoring in extra time.

Here they are mambo-ing
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAaiBNCYU4&NR=1

[if you only watch 1 YouTube clip this week...]

And here's the 'official' FoR3 thread....
                http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea....m.-(Mahler-2) which has generally negative and/or 'set-up-to-fail' anticipatory posts
                Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-08-11, 07:53. Reason: watch the clip! listen to the Prom! is it live on TV?

Comment

Two uplifting things. That Mambo clip - very good. Just can't imagine them playing Mahler though - at least not like that!

And Danny Baker....have just been listening to that one. He did come across extremely well. Quite how someone can keep that philosophy going is difficult to comprehend but I found it more encouraging than most things I hear. Almost life coaching stuff. I may go back to his BBC London programme more regularly.

Comment

Thanks for the Theme 1, Lat - takes me back, and very Beatley now that I listen.

I suppose my earliest musical memories would have been something like Casey Jones, Champion, Davy Crockett - American theme tunes
                    Casey JonesSteamin' and a-rollin'Casey JonesYou never have to guessWhen you hear the tooting of the whistleIt's Casey at the throttle of the Cannonball Express

or
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD6FlisQLEM (apparently I used to sing it in church with me coonskin hat on)

This sound was also something that my mum would stop everything if it came on the radio, and it has a strong effect and I still like the sound of it
                    nostalgia - Cherry pink and apple blossom white-Eddie Calvert [COLUMBIA] 78rpm

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                      I predict a 2-0 win for the Orch., with Dudamel scoring in extra time.
                      I think you mean time added on Global - the trainers could be on a few times for the effects of the twirling trumpets - and that kinda showboating could leave them open to being hit on the counterpoint.

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                      And here's the 'official' FoR3 thread....
                      http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea....m.-(Mahler-2) which has generally negative and/or 'set-up-to-fail' anticipatory posts
                      Looks like there's a prediction of a disappointing no-score draw from the promenaders over by - kids doin' Mahler; Honestly!
                      Do we do 'smoking keyboards' over here Host Global? :cool2:
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 05-08-11, 09:24. Reason: Lacked emotion!

Comment

:cool2:
                        Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        Do we do 'smoking keyboards' over here Host Global? :cool2:
                        Smoking but never inhaled. :cool2:

This sound was also something that my mum would stop everything if it came on the radio, and it has a strong effect and I still like the sound of it
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TcLd...eature=related
                        And I'd love to hear the SB Orch. doing a take on that....
                        Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-08-11, 10:08. Reason: added the blossom tribute...

Comment

I am increasingly interested in the ways in which the modern era of pop music (some might say birth year 1952 when Al Martino had the first number 1 but it would be fairer to say 1955-1956 with rock and roll) influenced the personalities of perhaps three generations and in different ways.

I don't think it would be too far fetched to say that it was huge. The wartime generations share distinctive traits that directly reflect the experience of living with war. The computer, i-phone and gaming generation have personalities that merge into those devices.

Someone born, say, in 1955 has been the same age as pop music throughout his or her lifetime. I arrived when it was aged 7 a month after the Beatles' first hit single. It always strikes me as a bit weird that I got into music at the age of 7 too. It is now aged 56 but for me a few years younger perhaps.

When I referred to Danny Baker as a gabbler, I want to make it clear that this wasn't a comment on his illness. I always thought he had that way although much of his presentation is of merit.

Do you remember when the Proms did Constant Lambert's Rio Grande? Grand it was too. I am still looking forward to the Zawinul. I posted this - a real grower - on "The Verb" thread but it is worth including here as well:

Pursuit of the Woman with the Feathered Hat, arranged by Matthew Barley - Viktoria Mullova/Matthew Barley Ensemble and Special Guest Julian Joseph (piano), p...

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            I am increasingly interested in the ways in which the modern era of pop music (some might say birth year 1952 when Al Martino had the first number 1
                            The very day I was born Lat was the day of that first chart - don't recall the Fluff show, mind you - couldn't hear it for the screams. (sorry mum!)

Nice tune that, by the way Lat.

Comment

"Nice one" as the didgeridoo playing hippy who first introduced me to Womad used to say. He went on to play at garden parties for lords and ladies and I maintained a promise to myself never again to travel to a festival in a Citroen 2cv.

I probably repeat myself on this next one. I normally do eventually. No 1 on the week I was born was "Return to Sender". I refused to accept the instruction thereby setting myself on a lifelong course of occasional stroppy rebellion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                No 1 on the week I was born was "Return to Sender". I refused to accept the instruction thereby setting myself on a lifelong course of occasional stroppy rebellion.
                                Now oddly enough Lat that record has an extremely strong memory for me - Christmas '62 it must have been I got it from Santa (I was an Elvis fan). My sis got 'Bachelor Boy' (she liked Cliff). We woke up at 4 that Christmas morning - I got the Oor Wullie annual out and we then made a Christmas pact to play our new records in turn for the rest of the morning. Musta driven our folks daft (sorry mum!). 'Return to Sender' always makes me think of Christmas - not 'Bachelor Boy' - it makes me think of 'Return to Sender' (she wrote upon it....)

Comment

Working...
                                X