• Show
Clear All

Alasdair Roberts tour dates, just announced

http://www.spiralearth.co.uk/news/story.asp?nid=6629

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Alasdair Roberts tour dates, just announced

http://www.spiralearth.co.uk/news/story.asp?nid=6629
      and I didn't know that Mike Harding had also gone internet only a la Mark Coles. Seems to be the refuge of choice for those discarded by the BBC.
      http://www.mikehardingfolkshow.com/
      and his thoughts on doing it
      http://www.mikehardingfolkshow.com/a-new-beginning/

(he does play that cracking Be Good Tanyas track...)

Comment

and I didn't know that Mike Harding had also gone internet only a la Mark Coles. Seems to be the refuge of choice for those discarded by the BBC.
        http://www.mikehardingfolkshow.com/
        and his thoughts on doing it
        http://www.mikehardingfolkshow.com/a-new-beginning/

(he does play that cracking Be Good Tanyas track...)
        Or you can have Mark Radcliffe's folk programme on the Beeb.

Fewer bright jumpers, less knowledge, more anecdotes, and with luck some Harry Worth.

Bellowhead (2 January), Karine Polwart (9 January), acclaimed songwriter Chris Wood (16 January) legendary folk-rock pioneers Fairport Convention (23 January) and Julie Fowlis at the folk awards (30 January). Not a mention of Sam Lee.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-01-13, 02:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          Or you can have Mark Radcliffe's folk programme on the Beeb.

Fewer bright jumpers, less knowledge, more anecdotes, and with luck some Harry Worth.

Bellowhead (2 January), Karine Polwart (9 January), acclaimed songwriter Chris Wood (16 January) legendary folk-rock pioneers Fairport Convention (23 January) and Julie Fowlis at the folk awards (30 January). Not a mention of Sam Lee.
          Well pointed out Lat - actually sounds worth a listen.

And will he play the Leedy Ludwig Temple Blocks???
          (this guy starts hitting the big time at 47seconds in, dammit)

Meanwhile I'm sure young OP will be paying especial attention to your requests once he knows he has a fellow Arsenal fan on board.

Comment

A real shame Mike Harding has been axed. I suppose its the fault of part timers like me who don't hear the show that often.

I've recommended it to plenty of people who have shown a slight interest in folk music, as a good place to go.
            Anyway, Wickham line up looking good this year, as always...and hopefully no ******* wurzels this year.

Oh, Happy new Year worldy types ! (that is real ale, BTW).
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              A real shame Mike Harding has been axed. I suppose its the fault of part timers like me who don't hear the show that often.

I've recommended it to plenty of people who have shown a slight interest in folk music, as a good place to go.
              Anyway, Wickham line up looking good this year, as always...and hopefully no ******* wurzels this year.

Oh, Happy new Year worldy types ! (that is real ale, BTW).
              Happy '13, ts - hope your saints finish 17th or better this year - my Saints are heading away from relly for the moment -anyway, I think the Folk programme has been needing a bit of a re-boot for a while and I don't have an issue with Radcliffe as a presenter - he has shown an interest in folk in the past - but it would have been good if they had got VS or Oilrig to take over the mike from Mike - folk who know what they're talkin' about.
              And thanks for the programme about Kirrie, Global - I even knew a couple of the people interviewed - they're proud of that Barrie link up there.

Comment

Nice way of putting the re-boot in John ...
                Nothing against Mike H himself but the job-for-life thing that the lazy R2 bosses seem to have believed in the past,
                is, imo, pretty unhealthy. Keep the slots as they are if you must, but freshen up the DJs on a regular basis.

Comment

On the quiet that Mark Coles has been getting better...and better. Could be because he has also discovered that cracking Bassekou Kouyate Jama Ko CD; or maybe he has got into his Shed groove a bit and now isn't quite so frenetic. Anyway the latest edition is well worth a listen (most of it - descends into slush for about 7 minutes near the end) but I can't find a track listing anywhere. Anyway it's easy enough to find the programme from here
                  http://markcolesmusic.com/ World Service's loss I reckon...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    Happy '13, ts - hope your saints finish 17th or better this year - my Saints are heading away from relly for the moment -anyway, I think the Folk programme has been needing a bit of a re-boot for a while and I don't have an issue with Radcliffe as a presenter - he has shown an interest in folk in the past - but it would have been good if they had got VS or Oilrig to take over the mike from Mike - folk who know what they're talkin' about.
                    And thanks for the programme about Kirrie, Global - I even knew a couple of the people interviewed - they're proud of that Barrie link up there.
                    you are probably right about MH...a little dabbling is a dangerous thing...!!
                    Any way, let us indeed hope for a triumphant 2013 for all the Saints teams hereabouts.
                    Perhaps a world football thread....
                    Like i don't spend enough time whatsiting about on this board.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Perhaps a world football thread....
                      Like i don't spend enough time whatsiting about on this board.
                      There's some musical giants in the Africa Cup of Nations, as you would expect ts, but it kicks off with an interesting match in Durban later this month - South Africa v Cape Verde. Haven't seen CV there before but if they play footie like they play their music they could be very elegant to watch indeed.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Here's the fixtures - in a musical sense who'd win between Nigeria and Ethiopia on the 29th?
                      Fixtures for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa

Comment

I'm sure that if FF were back she wouldn't mind you starting a World football thread over on Platform 3.

In the meantime on with the music

Comment

I'm sure that if FF were back she wouldn't mind you starting a World football thread over on Platform 3.

In the meantime on with the music
                          Yeah, but what about an African CON music football thread? - that'll get the banjo maestro in a fankle, G.

Comment

Seth Lakeman was on 'My life in 5 songs' with Phil Cunningham on Rad Scotty this morn and I had no problem with any of his selections, I have to say.
                            Seth Lakeman delves into his personal music collection and reveals five special songs.

...and while on a Scotty theme, Ricky Ross on 'Another Country' remembered Hank Williams 60 years on from his untimely passing.
                            A special programme celebrating the music, songwriting and legacy of Hank Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Seth Lakeman was on 'My life in 5 songs' with Phil Cunningham on Rad Scotty this morn and I had no problem with any of his selections, I have to say.
                              Seth Lakeman delves into his personal music collection and reveals five special songs.

...and while on a Scotty theme, Ricky Ross on 'Another Country' remembered Hank Williams 60 years on from his untimely passing.
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pf1zp
                              And speaking of country, this was pretty good too. Danny Robins exploring the story of Johnny Cash the prison reformer -

Danny Robins explores the little-known story of Johnny Cash the prison reformer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                And speaking of country, this was pretty good too. Danny Robins exploring the story of Johnny Cash the prison reformer -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pnmxg
                                I liked it too - I was impressed by the other JC's brother.
                                In the meantime, look who's getting sent by Kirsty to the desert island on Sunday.
                                Martin Carthy, folk musician, is interviewed by Kirsty Young for Desert Island Discs.

Comment

Working...
                                X