Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, well Verity played that Chris Wood / Eliza Carthy / Martin Carthy / Trans Global Underground
    aka Imagined Village playing Cold Haily Rainy Night

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Yes, well Verity played that Chris Wood / Eliza Carthy / Martin Carthy / Trans Global Underground
      aka Imagined Village playing Cold Haily Rainy Night
      I'd heard it earlier in the day Global listening to Albion and CHRN came on crossing the moors on my way back from Dundee in the driving snow - felt for the poor brave soldier - -and great to hear it again last night ( never tire of it actually). Really liked the sound of Madina N'Diaye among on LJ last night

Comment

I mut confess to having not yet listened to this, but I did hear the good Prof Lawrie Taylor talking about it today...obviously we need to listen and then discuss ad nauseam. Or not...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ptzt7

Comment

Listened to it now, fairly familiar territory, surprised it warranted such attention...

Comment

Listened to it now, fairly familiar territory, surprised it warranted such attention...
            I usually hear this in the car, and heard it yesterday, but I never seem to manage to listen right through - I don't think I've tuned out of a R4 programme more often. Is the prof a hypnotist? I think we should be told.

Comment

I listened to the programme. Perhaps the least interesting thing about Womad is that there are a few middle aged white people there who read the Guardian. Early neo-liberalism was made to sound exactly like Disraelian conservatism but I'm sure it wasn't!
              Last edited by Guest; 26-01-13, 11:55.

Comment

I was listening to Last Word on R4 in the car in a kind of morbid way that I find I do when I've ten minutes to spare on a Friday afternoon - I usually have heard of about one of the subjects. However today I was fascinated to find that the subject of a favourite Ohrwurm of mine was actually real and had died - Pauline Phillips aka Abigail Van Buren, the Dear Abby of John Prine's great tune. Had never heard of her but Matthew played the song and I'll be humming along most of the weekend.
                From a BBC Old Grey Whistle Test performance in 1973, John Prine and Dear Abby.I upload this video purely for information of like minded fans, do not own cop...

Comment

I listened into a bit of Radio Scotty's Celtic Connections coverage last night - Ricky Ross' alt-country. I was interested in Be Good Tanyas, but got captivated by Mississippi songwriter John Murry who sang some raw songs accompanied by piano and guitar many that he wrote, he said while recovering from heroin addiction and trying to rebuild his relationship with his wife. Had a listen on spotty, but they're a bit heavily produced so I've stuck the Ricky Ross link with some times if you fancy a listen.

Murry has songs at 10, 26 and 52 minutes in - there's a couple after that but I forgot to time them. Worth a listen I thought.

Comment

i thought mak's 'world on 3' made a good extension to burn's night celebrations - (though i wasn't listening that intently) i liked the ivor cutler-alike song. also the sound of the pipes, especially that really deep registered one!

today, i'm wondering who the chap was who sounded like ivor in musical style, and sort of deadpan presentation. is there a whole bunch of them out there, or what?

Comment

There was a couple of nice tunes in there, but I felt humbled by the joy for life in Julian May's story of Mr Fan, Vietnamese boat person, barber and horse lover - unbridled enthusiasm.
                      Mr Fan, Vietnamese boatperson, barber, Chinese gardener, English horseman, tells his story

Comment

That big bad Howlin' Wolf getting covered by Bruce Dickinson in a two-parter on 6 music last night and tonight - says he got the name from his mum at three years old.
                        Bruce Dickinson presents a profile of blues giant Howlin' Wolf, aka Chester Burnett.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          That big bad Howlin' Wolf getting covered by Bruce Dickinson in a two-parter on 6 music last night and tonight - says he got the name from his mum at three years old.
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yv00x
                          Yes, 'Bruce' is a slightly unusual name,but waiting till 3 seems a little excessive. Anyway, I thought he was an airline pilot not a musician?

Comment

Lebanese trumpeter Ibrahim Maalouf hasn't done a version of Strange Fruit as far as I can see but he's guesting on Marky's Shed Show #81 this week and it really is great sounding Jazz with a nice hint of Arabic - Mark likes it and I'd like to hear a bit more too.
                            Player is on Mixcloud. Listen for free to their radio shows, DJ mix sets and Podcasts

Comment

Tango fuego

We went to watch and listen to some live tango yesterday at Sadlers Wells -I'm struggling to find any good illustrative clips.
                              This one concentrates on the sensational aspects of the dances
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wN-kjyr1gY
                              whereas we were entertained by some excellent solo musical numbers from the singer, Jesus Hidalgo - straight from his time warp in pre-war Argentina
                              and the superb quartet, Quarteto Fuego consisting of bandoneon, contrabass, piano and violin.
                              Needless to say some Piazolla was in evidence...so, although this isn't the Quarteto Fuego. I'll submit these instead which give more of a flavour:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZYmJQ_CzM
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF3icCr3Rt8

But, if you're in a hurry, just watch some Gotan Project because surely no-one can mention tango and not think of their work ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFzk_MX1DCo

Comment

We went to watch and listen to some live tango yesterday at Sadlers Wells -I'm struggling to find any good illustrative clips.
                                This one concentrates on the sensational aspects of the dances
                                Thanks GT - was audience participation available for you and Mrs GT?

In the most recent Songlines mag, Joe Boyd chooses 5 few tracks for His world and I was mightily impressed by this old bit of guitar tango.

Carlos Gardel canta con su estilo extraordinario "Mano a Mano", a pedido de mi mamá doña Graciela Soriano de Calvo. Edita el Dr. Guillermo Calvo Soriano de L...

Comment

Working...
                                X