Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a lovely programme you might have missed R4 Lyrical Journey....The Proclaimers Sunshine on Leith....tremendous live version at end of prog'....iplaqy will not link it yet....Sunday 10 Feb R4 1330hrs
    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      Thanks GT - was audience participation available for you and Mrs GT?

In the most recent Songlines mag, Joe Boyd chooses 5 few tracks for His world and I was mightily impressed by this old bit of guitar tango.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRguzgfaBGo

So he does, and here's his list

Carlos Gardel ‘Mano a Mano’ on Nimbus Records
      * Toots & the Maytals ‘Premature’ on Island Records
      * Étoile de Dakar featuring Youssou N’Dour ‘Jalo’ on Sterns
      * Detty Kurnia ‘Sorban Palid’ on Riverboat Records
      * Forro in the Dark ‘Asa Branca’ on Nublu Records
      Also on the free Songlines CD this month:
      Bassekou Kouyaté & Ngoni ba ‘Ne Me Fatigue Pas’ on Out Here Records
      * Nicolas Repac ‘Chain Gang Blues’ on No Format
      * Frigg ‘Vierivä’ on Frigg Ltd
      * Anaïs Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer ‘Willie’s Lady (Child 6)’ on Wilderland Records
      * Ballaké Sissoko ‘Asa Branca’ on No Format
      * We Banjo 3 ‘Over the Waterfall/Liberty Polka’ on We Banjo 3
      * Abdou Diop ‘Kodo’ on Sterns
      * Vinicio Capossela ‘Abbandonato’ on Ponderose Music & Art
      * The Dust Busters with John Cohen ‘The Honest Farmer’ on Smithsonian Folkways
      * Arifa ‘Maktub’ on Mundus Production
      Any r3 presenters out there want to own up to also doing a cut and paste job on this list for the playlist for their show? (I've also got some old rope if you want to give me some money for it)

Other world music magazines are available in other formats.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        Here's a lovely programme you might have missed R4 Lyrical Journey....The Proclaimers Sunshine on Leith....tremendous live version at end of prog'....iplaqy will not link it yet....Sunday 10 Feb R4 1330hrs
        Just listened to it, not a huge fan of their music but it was still a lovely programme. I suspect young JC will be or will have been agog. And why not....

here's the link
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngn3q

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Just listened to it, not a huge fan of their music but it was still a lovely programme. I suspect young JC will be or will have been agog. And why not....

here's the link
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngn3q
          Thanks 8th and GT, Scottish icons I have to say - and they always seem like regular guys - I love that idea about their songs no longer belonging to them as they are taken on by others. Great stuff - worth watching a couple of minutes from the 5-1 victory at Hampden.
          hibs fans singins Sunshine on leith in the 5-1 final! Truely awesome

Comment

The Proclaimers have had the odd great songwriting moment, and "Sunshine on Leith" certainly does it for me.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

i don't know where this belongs, but thought i'd park it here if that's ok gt!

Stewart Lee: I can now listen to music that was never aimed at me, from a time and a place I have no connection with – and even nearly enjoy it

Comment

And froots encourages sharing their froots radio...so here's the link
                http://froots.podomatic.com/entry/20...01_00_00-08_00

I hope it works... if not, then just go to
                http://froots.podomatic.com/
                and click wildly about.

in the old days on the r3 MB's Ian Anderson used to post from time to time.Now you can listen to him introducing music. So that's progress.

Be grateful there's no robots amongst them...(although I'm not too sure about Track 3)

a reason why you should listen to that froots radio?

Well, the Beale Street Sheiks for one. Recorded about 1923, there is a strong possibility that their song contains these immortal lyrics
                Now chicken, chicken, oh, chicken
                You may go up in a balloon
                Chicken, chicken, you may hide behind the moon, dog gone ya
                Now chicken, I never let a fowl be
                Ten thousand dollar worth, best fowl on earth
                He don't roost too high for me
                I got to thinkin' about chicken late the other night
                Man, I couldn't hardly rest
                I got out of bed, put on my old shoes
                Thought of where some chicken was at
                I grabbed xxxxxxx
                Some I never let fall
                I don't think I robbed your hen house
                Till I get the roost, poor chicken an' all
                CHORUS
                Oh, that chicken made me awful mad the other night, man
                That's sompin I didn't like to take
                I grabbed my little haversack down across my back
                Grabbed the chicken right by the neck
                Then I turned around, quick as I could
                A chicken all way up there
                I once stole a xxxxx I'll steal a chicken from anywhere
                Now who amongst us can honestly say we haven't got to thinking about chicken late at night?
                Last edited by Globaltruth; 18-02-13, 19:04. Reason: "I'll steal a chicken from anywhere." Allegedly

Comment

...and of course that there Frank Stokes of the Beale Street Sheiks was celebrated by our good pal Bob, G!
                  http://www.kotapparel.com/images/products/bt-621[black]-large.png

Comment

...and of course that there Frank Stokes of the Beale Street Sheiks was celebrated by our good pal Bob, G!
                    http://www.kotapparel.com/images/products/bt-621[black]-large.png
                    for
                    I grabbed xxxxxxx
                    read

I grabbed me little appetite
                    Ahhh at last, my place in the pantheon of ethnomusicologists is guaranteed.
                    Last edited by Globaltruth; 19-02-13, 11:49. Reason: well, what else would he grab?

Comment

She moved through the fair

'Irish Heartbeat' by Van with the Chieftains was a great favourite among me and my pals all those years ago - we even had a party piece going with 'Star of the County Down', I seem to recall. It was the first time I really encountered 'She moved through the fair', but it was not a pleasant experience for me. Thought Van sang it very dirge-like and when I encountered it afterwards I tended to shut it out - until today.
                      Glorious day, heading back from Perth and 'Soul Music' came on R4 with a variety of folk talking about and singing the song - Sinead O'Connor gave a great insight among others; but the story of the man who sang it at his own funeral was a high point and I had a wee touch of a tear in the eye - oh well, I was on my own. Well worth a listen - tempted to say that it's what quality public service broadcasting is all about...oh go on, go on, go on!!!
                      Sinéad O'Connor & others talk about the haunting beauty of this ancient song. From 2013.

Comment

Then there was this today
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013r2h6

Well worth a listen if you like offbeat drama, , some strongly written characters,a fresh style, some belting good but all too brief WM and, right at the end, some nice observations about 'those Westerners who like all that ethnic stuff'.

Comment

'Irish Heartbeat' by Van with the Chieftains was a great favourite among me and my pals all those years ago - we even had a party piece going with 'Star of the County Down', I seem to recall. It was the first time I really encountered 'She moved through the fair', but it was not a pleasant experience for me. Thought Van sang it very dirge-like and when I encountered it afterwards I tended to shut it out - until today.
                          Glorious day, heading back from Perth and 'Soul Music' came on R4 with a variety of folk talking about and singing the song - Sinead O'Connor gave a great insight among others; but the story of the man who sang it at his own funeral was a high point and I had a wee touch of a tear in the eye - oh well, I was on my own. Well worth a listen - tempted to say that it's what quality public service broadcasting is all about...oh go on, go on, go on!!!
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qm2fw
                          You're a soft old devil JC, but a good recommendation for all that, so thanks. Here's the lyrics:

My young love said to me, 'My mother won't mind,
                          And my father won't slight you for your lack of kind,'
                          He went away from me and this he did say,
                          'It will not be long, love, till our wedding day.'

He went away from me and he moved through the fair,
                          And slowly I watched him move here and move there,
                          He went his way homeward with one star awake,
                          As the swan in the evening moves over the lake.

The people were saying no two were e'er wed
                          But one has a sorrow that never was said,
                          And I smiled as she passed with her goods and her gear,
                          And that was the last that I saw of my dear.

I dreamt last night that my young love came in,
                          He came in so sweetly, his feet made no din;
                          He stepped close beside me, and this he did say,
                          'It will not be long love, till our wedding day.'
                          They're a pale thing without the music...

So - whose version are we going to plump for? Ethereal:-
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1YxHZPcMaQ

Dramatic:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBaIG8Mocec

Traditional:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-g_4yVxnQY

Comment

Another gem on this weeks Private Passions where, so often, you stumble across great songs shared.
                            This week it was an unaccompanied female singer from the Balkans singing a traditional song called Gde si bilo jare moje [Where is my little goat]. Such poignancy, & feeling, as was explained, this was more than a song about a lost goat. Sadly the playlist doesn't provide a clue as to who the artist was, nor a meaningful link, but it's worth a Listen Again.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              Another gem on this weeks Private Passions where, so often, you stumble across great songs shared.
                              This week it was an unaccompanied female singer from the Balkans singing a traditional song called Gde si bilo jare moje [Where is my little goat]. Such poignancy, & feeling, as was explained, this was more than a song about a lost goat. Sadly the playlist doesn't provide a clue as to who the artist was, nor a meaningful link, but it's worth a Listen Again.
                              Very haunting, G... this may be the woman who was singing but also includes Dr Duran shaking booty and some footage of Charlie. My Balkan spelling's pretty ropey these days so I could be wrong.
                              Introduction to the Radio 3 Stage and excerpts from the performance by Svetlana Spajic with Andrew Cronshaw, Tigran Aleksanyan and Ian Blake, introduced by L...

...but she doesn't sing till the last couple of minutes -such a powerful voice.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 23-02-13, 11:03. Reason: booty indeed!

Comment

Very haunting, G... this may be the woman who was singing but also includes Dr Duran shaking booty and some footage of Charlie. My Balkan spelling's pretty ropey these days so I could be wrong.
                                Introduction to the Radio 3 Stage and excerpts from the performance by Svetlana Spajic with Andrew Cronshaw, Tigran Aleksanyan and Ian Blake, introduced by L...

...but she doesn't sing till the last couple of minutes -such a powerful voice.
                                Lovely JC, thanks for finding that - I reckon that's her alright.
                                How great to see the r3 crew in full swing too.

Comment

Working...
                                X