Page 6 of 96 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: A quick glance around the schedules

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
    Candi must have been doing a couple of gigs, Paul, as last evening's was from a church in Manchester. The material between the songs was fairly uninspiring, but I love Candi Staton's voice and I love hearing her sing gospel and I thought she sounded in very fine form indeed.

I think she, like the other performers, were all doing three gigs each. Not sure if they were all at the same venue.
    I didn't listen last night in the end as the OH is in post minor op condition and we both needed some sleep. I'll try and listen later today.

Hope she's feelin' better, Paul - by the way, I liked the Sonny & Willie N photie in the book - very fine indeed!

Thanks for the thoughts John, all is going well so far. Yes I have to admit that picture really captures a sweet decisive moment. The funny thing was that I just grabbed a camera for that picture alone - as the bbc had brought in a photographer and I'd spent the afternoon ( 9 songs + 1 instrumental when Willie was only contracted for 4 ) filming the whole session on my home video camera. I have the tape somewhere ...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts John, all is going well so far. Yes I have to admit that picture really captures a sweet decisive moment. The funny thing was that I just grabbed a camera for that picture alone - as the bbc had brought in a photographer and I'd spent the afternoon ( 9 songs + 1 instrumental when Willie was only contracted for 4 ) filming the whole session on my home video camera. I have the tape somewhere ...
    Don't misplace that tape Paul!

Manchester seems to have been getting a rather unreasonable share of the spoils. I saw a really good interview with Rickety Bones on the Culture Show this evening - about halfway in - she's been re- performing the magnificent 'Pirates' and she was in mighty fine voice and as feisty as ever - well interviewed too I thought.

This Alasdair White feller is a fine fiddler,
    Unassuming James Mackenzie one of the finest pipers in the UK - only a snatch of them in this clip, their show with Matheu Watson & the three singers one of the highlights
    http://t.co/FkWfdia

Now - where was MAK? Or even BBC Alba?

Just started...

20:20 Twenty Minutes: Andy Kershaw picks the best of the BBC Radio 3 Music Planet series. bbc.in/rsONmc

Busy night....
    22:30 Hear and Now: Traditional musician Kathryn Tickell performs new works based on Northumbrian folk tunes. bbc.in/nAkHQQ

Lateralthinking1 Guest

Hi GT, these are all excellent recommendations. I didn't know that any of them were on tonight and I hope to catch up with them on the I-Player. I have lost touch a bit. Am I right in thinking that you have been enjoying a festival in the west of Scotland? If so, I would be interested to hear what you saw and what you thought about it, even if it will be a little off-topic on this thread! - Lat

Exclamation

I may well do a Hebridean report, but don't forget to listen to some of the proms that may be of interest,

For example:

Human Planet part 1

Human Planet Part 2

score from Nitin Sawney, a talented but occasionally self-indulgent musical, but interleaved with Greatest Hits from the Human Planet show. :cool2:

And proms 17 and 36 - links and comments later, although they should be popping up on the clever upcoming events listing at the bottom of the board.
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 24-07-11 at 10:19.