A quick glance around the schedules

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macau Arts Festival - that's the one for me Global - do you think they'll be the Noodle Western Orchestra for that leg of the tour?

Comment

Dunno, but looks like that there Cerys is spreading her wings a bit - maybe you're right about her shaking it up on Wo3....could be good.

http://fb.me/E5lwPpbj

Comment

She's great Sunday morning company that Cerys!

Last night, up here on Beeb2 Scotland there was a very affectionate tribute to Gerry Rafferty voiced by fellow Buddy David Tennant and including the great John Byrne and the Big Yin among many others - here's the Artwork Scotland link if you fancy it. Some top tunes in there
        A film about the late Gerry Rafferty, one of Scotland's best-loved singer/songwriters.

Comment

Yes. I look forward to seeing that clip. I hadn't realised until the death of Jerry Lieber that he and Stoller had produced the first Stealers Wheel album. That, of course, included the famous single which was later used rather luridly by Tarantino.

Like both of you, I have been listening sporadically to 6 music. I was round at Guy's place last night metaphorically. He played some absolute classics from his record collection, some that were not so good, and others that were new to me. One of his musical ears seems almost identical to one of mine even if the other isn't. I would have found it difficult to have picked out better tracks from Neil Young, Julie London and Led Zeppelin than the ones he chose. The Laura Veirs song was also good. Of the new, I particularly enjoyed Ivan Campo and a most strange track "Sanctus, Osanna In Excelsis And Benedictus" from the Cathedral Choir of St John the Divine which featured whales. And the background to De La Soul's "The Magic Number" was fascinating.

Then I stayed for the 40th anniversary of Philadelphia soul with Dave Pearce. I would, of course, choose Stax and Motown every time and by many miles. Nile Rodgers aside, disco was the start of the downhill slide for soul. But the Philly sound really just predates it, although the two often then ran in parallel. In that way, it is interesting. While it always seemed too sweet and over-produced - still does - I always quite liked it. At one point, it seemed to be as popular in the South East and almost as representative of it as the Jam. All the weekends in Caistor and so on, not that I went. However, I recall a few garden parties with a lot of that kind of music and coloured lights. It was very popular with work friends when I was 18. And it was a hell of a lot more uplifting than the excruciating modern R n B so-called. There was at least some soul - and jazz - in it so it wasn't a bad listen.
          Last edited by Guest; 30-08-11, 23:01.

Comment

Words & Music, the Exotic edition from Sun. - if you're in a rush, then fast forward to about 30 mins in for a little segment comprising...

Joseph Conrad
            Extract from Heart of Darkness, Simon Woods
            00:30
            N/A — Nyanza Rukina
            Performer: Twa Tribesmen
            Rounder, CD5106, 1
            00:31
            David Fanshawe — African Sanctus
            Performer: Choristers of St George’s Chapel, Windsor, Bournemouth Symphony Chorus, Alan Parker and Andy Pask (guitars), Eric Allen, Gary Kettel, Terry Emmery (percussion), Harold Fisher (drums), Kwasi Asare Kantamanto (traditional drums), Elizabeth Buriani, Mary Chebwana (ululations)
            Silva Classics, SILKD6003, 1
            00:34
            Rudyard Kipling
            Extract from The Jungle Book, Greta Scaachi
            00:35
            Robert and Richard Sherman — I Wanna Be Like You
            Performer: Louis Prima and Phil Harris (vocals)
            Pickwick Music, DSMCD457, 5

And, if you can stick with it thru the G & S you are rewarded with a little Ladysmith Black Mambazo.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              it was generally a delight.
              Pretty enjoyable those noodling western orchestra chaps but I tell you, I'm not sure I've heard a better whistler than that guy.
              Of course there's always Rog
              Roger Whittaker's live performance in Canada.This performance was with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra at the Jubilee Auditorium on September 20th, 1976
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 01-09-11, 14:14. Reason: Just wetting my whistle.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                Pretty enjoyable those noodling western orchestra chaps but I tell you, I'm not sure I've heard a better whistler than that guy.
                Of course there's always Rog
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJq72iV-VA
                Ronnie Ronaldo anyone?

Comment

Congrats to the Kronos Quartet on this recent award....

When are they going to appear in r3's schedule?

Comment

I think it was Verity on LJ a couple of weeks back who played a Steve Reich piece about upcoming anniversary of the World Trade centre attacks which the KQ had commissioned and played - I found it very moving. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14744219

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      I think it was Verity on LJ a couple of weeks back who played a Steve Reich piece about upcoming anniversary of the World Trade centre attacks which the KQ had commissioned and played - I found it very moving. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14744219
                      Hmm, yes I heard it and don't doubt his and their honourable intentions; but (ain't there always a but) personally I'm going into media overload on this particular anniversary. Could someone maybe play some of their work just because it's there I wonder?

Comment

The Kronos Quartet are a curious blind spot for me. On paper, they are an ensemble of whom I should very much approve but in practice, they too often come across to me as cultural tourists...Let's make a Mexican cd, let's make an African cd, let's make an Indian cd, let's make a Middle Eastern cd...after which it is "been there, done that, what's next ? "

Similarly, I would not belittle anyone being moved by the Reich 9/11 piece but when I heard it I was annoyed. Musically and structurally it seemed so similar to Different Trains as to be quite outrageous. And I didn't really think that the world needed another Transmigration of Souls just because a date was ticking by on the calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                          The Kronos Quartet are a curious blind spot for me. On paper, they are an ensemble of whom I should very much approve but in practice, they too often come across to me as cultural tourists...Let's make a Mexican cd, let's make an African cd, let's make an Indian cd, let's make a Middle Eastern cd...after which it is "been there, done that, what's next ? "

Similarly, I would not belittle anyone being moved by the Reich 9/11 piece but when I heard it I was annoyed. Musically and structurally it seemed so similar to Different Trains as to be quite outrageous. And I didn't really think that the world needed another Transmigration of Souls just because a date was ticking by on the calendar.
                          I'm not too familiar with much of Reich's work, zola - I did enjoy the Different Trains piece when Reich was R3 Composer of the week but I'm not so familiar that I immediately linked this piece to it. I agree about the anniversary thing and am tending to shut out most stuff but when I heard that KQ piece it was my first notion that 10 years had passed.
                          I saw Kronos in the late 80s in Glasgow - it was different from anything else I had seen before and I listened to some of their stuff for quite a while afterwards. My issue with them is that they tend to sound the same to me whatever they do - so if I haven't heard them for a while I enjoy it but fairly quickly lose interest - I did enjoy the Twin Towers' piece but it was late at night and it certainly roused me from my reverie.

Comment

Hi John. I think the thing that most got to me with the Reich piece was that it was a commission. If it was something that Reich felt compelled to write and had embarked on of his own accord, so be it. But to me, it did have the feel of something written to order, recycing old ideas and ticking boxes. But just my personal reaction to it at the time !

Now spinning, Viktoria Mullova, The Peasant Girl.

Comment

Viktoria Mullova, The Peasant Girl - One of my top five cds of the year (to date) -

Viktoria and the Matthew Barley Ensemble (Julian Joseph, Paul Clarvis and Sam Walton), making their new CD, The Peasant Girl, at Abbey Road Studio no. 2. ht...

Comment

World Routes - the good doctor goes out later

Mr Wright's latest monthly note has just hit the ether

World Routes moves to Sunday evenings at 10-11pm
                                That's no bad thing - at least it isn't being canned, shortened, or merging, although it was sometimes a welcome diversion on a Sat. afternoon...with LA it will be there to be listened to...

The upcoming episode, although largely a repeat does look to have an interesting piece from Mr Denselow, as if in answer to recent paeans of praise on these board...
                                A Man Who Knows His Stuff.
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014f9xy

Comment

Working...
                                X