A quick glance around the schedules

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul, did you realise that George Jones is 80 on Monday - I only know because Ricky Ross celebrated with an hour of GJ songs on the second half of his 'Another Country' programme on Radio Scotty this evening. He played some fine tunes many I'm sure you'd approve of both by George and by other artists.
    I missed the first hour which he spent on the centenary of Bill Monroe. Very fine programming.
    A double celebration of Bill Monroe's centenary and George Jones' 80th birthday.

Comment

He's done well to get there, John !
      I didn't know.
      But I bet all the relevant producers at Radio 2 will have their plans in place :nurse:
      Last edited by Guest; 10-09-11, 10:50.

Comment

John and music of the world fans everywhere, here's one glory that Ricky left out

Oh boy.

Comment

Paul, I quite liked that Meg Baird cd. I knew a little of her work with Espers but not the solo stuff. Very understated in tone. Apparently she has dug out a couple of songs from the barely known seventies - The Waltze of the Tennis Players (Alan Fraser) and All I Ever Wanted (New Riders of the the Purple Sage) - alongside the traditional tracks. The two I liked best though were the one by Jimmy Webb, perhaps predictably, if less predictably you can still hear him in the arrangement, and particularly her own composition Riverhouse in Tinicum which has a really lovely accompaniment. It is reminiscent of early Nick Drake I think.

She is obviously an interesting person too. Wikipedia says: "Baird comes from a family with deep roots in the folk tradition. Baird is the great-great niece of Isaac Garfield "I.G." Greer, a historian and Appalachian folk singer born in 1881.His inclusion on one of the earliest albums issued by the Archive of American Folk Song in the Library of Congress helped expose Baird to folk music at young age while she was taking piano lessons, teaching herself guitar, and listening to Smithsonian Folkways LPs." Thanks, Lat.

Last edited by Guest; 14-09-11, 14:04.

Comment

Lat, Some time in the early 60s my dad turned up at home with a Joan Baez LP (on the Vanguard Label I recall) - I remember being a big bit surprised that my dad would choose such a record but was thankful for it and though it was very sparse in its production - just Joan and a guitar at most - I remember loving quite a few of the songs. I was reminded of the record by Meg Baird's version of Barbary Ellen which felt a lot darker than Joan's - I really love Meg's version as I do much of the Dear Companion record - thanks Paul. Anyway you can have a look at a lot of that JB record on this in spotty which I just found - my dad's old thirty three and a third comprised tracks 14-27 - her version of engine 143 is majestic and Plaisir D'amour takes me back to the living room and that wee dansette in Paisley.

Comment

Lat, John,
              I must have said this before but I found that Meg in a reject pile of cd on the Isle of Man some four years ago.
              I tried then to get the plugger man to get the cd to a few of our late night chums but he said he'd run out of supplies ...
              Ms Baird has another new un due shortly and this time around I've made it much more difficult for the album not to reach those parts.
              Haven't heard it myself but with any luck we may get a track or two on three.

Comment

A fine find Paul - I really love 'All I ever wanted' - such wonderful emotion. And though I love 'Will O Winsbury' it's difficult not to think of this old classic when listening to it.
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

See the new one is out in a couple of weeks as you said Paul.
                On her second album, the singer-songwriter finds new ways to employ the hallmarks of traditional American folk. The result is authentically felt and expressed, authentically new, and authentically part of an ancient tradition.

Comment

Big thanks for that link John. Sounds very promising indeed. I sent a copy of 'Dear Companion' to the Max not Manx man for perspective purposes.
                  I still find it hard to resist, four years on ! Anyway it'll be interesting to see if Ms Baird also works for the not-quite-so-late-night workers.

Comment

Paul, Cerys played one of your fave guys this morning and very good it is too.

Comment

Bob Harris was in fine form in the early hours. Is there really only a place for one of him on radio? If someone knows of anyone similar, I would genuinely like to know. The powers that aren't have had 40 years to find one.

Anyhow, he had Amos Lee there. I was quite impressed by him. You can catch him at RAH with Adele. Oh dear.

Best of Amos Lee: https://goo.gl/FSq3KnSubscribe here: https://goo.gl/jM9k7VMusic video by Amos Lee performing El Camino. (P) (C) 2011 Blue Note Records. All...

There was also a track from the new Sandy Denny album recorded at 19 Rupert Street in 1967. Here's Denselow:

Comment

>>Paul, Cerys played one of your fave guys this morning

John, you should make sure that CM is aware of the truly wonderful 1998 Tom T Hall tribute album, ' The Tom t Hall Project '
                        She could easily fill half a programme with that album alone.
                        Do you have a copy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          There was also a track from the new Sandy Denny album recorded at 19 Rupert Street in 1967. Here's Denselow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/rj8r
                          Well Lat, it was a good few years on from when Sandy was there, but I used to live in the next street to Rupert Street and could see it out the kitchen window.

.....and no, I haven't seen that one Paul but it looks like a mighty fine line-up!

Comment

John,
                            It's a gem, you have to have a copy.
                            I'll put the brazier on.

Comment

Ry on 4

Ry Cooder on r4 right now?
                              That's almost as much coverage as he gets on r3 in a year..
                              .Ahh yes,on his new album he's attacking those people it's cool to dislike

Is he America's national muse?

well, probably not, but when he puts that bottle on that neck....

http://audioboo.fm/boos/476780-ry…
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 20-09-11, 07:50. Reason: added the link courtesy of the Today programme. could have been worse - could have been Clegg...

Comment

Actually Global I think for me ( nearly thirty years ago ) it was the creative bands which he put together that
                                excited even me more than his guitar work.
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X