Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Routes

I've just heard that R3 is thinking of presenting a new programme on Saturdays, between 3 & 5pm, where celebs pick their favourite music - I think I have that info right. If I am correct, does anyone know what will happen to World Routes?

Oh yes, can't leave out the celebs. There isn't a place for them anywhere else!

(What's the betting it is Lily Allen on the first one fresh from her honeymoon at Glastonbury?)

Comment

No its going to be Neil Diamond weekly

Comment

Originally posted by Brighton Gull View Post
        I've just heard that R3 is thinking of presenting a new programme on Saturdays, between 3 & 5pm, where celebs pick their favourite music - I think I have that info right. If I am correct, does anyone know what will happen to World Routes?
        R3's SoPP for 2010/11 had as a 'Challenge': "It will increase the opportunities for a wide range of people to express their individual musical passions on air." We've had the Comedy Classics on Breakfast, so more celebs picking their favourite music would seem to answer the challenge. But I hadn't heard about Saturday afternoons - where did you hear that? My guess is the hour won't be lost but perhaps a new programme is now planned?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Well after all, except when the schedulers can slip in a nice wee matinee trip to the Met, there's three hours of wall-to-wall non-classical musical input there on a Saturday afternoon, just ripe for the kickin' - experience suggests it probably means another late night.
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 14-06-11, 17:44. Reason: just switching my cynic switch off again!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Well after all, except when the schedulers can slip in a nice wee matinee trip to the Met, there's three hours of wall-to-wall non-classical musical input there on a Saturday afternoon, just ripe for the kickin' - experience suggests it probably means another late night.
            Yes, 3-5pm would affect Jazz Library too. You could have Sunday mornings, 10-12pm, if you wanted ...
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yep, Sunday morning 10 to 12 - would be ideal for the 'slebs - could then move straight into Radio 3's flagship celebrity choice programme: http://www.hayfestival.com/p-3883-pr...a-foreman.aspx

As noted above I guess existing world/jazz output on Saturday afternoons will now be moved to the wee small hours if this goes ahead.

Comment

Did we ever get to the bottom of this?

I'd like to know where the info came from and what the Desert Island Discs team would think of this..
                Or maybe it's celebs playing their favourite World Music/Jass?
                So, frinstance, we can have O'Bama playing his Toumani Diabate/Taj Mahal CD...

Anyway more facts would be handy.

Comment

I was ragin'!

If today's WR is anything to go by I think they'll do the job by Death by a Thousand cuts.
                  At 15.06 this afternoon they were still hanging about at the Wigmore Hall listening to the end of some String Driven Thing with Susie Klein that had been on earlier in the week and was being repeated. Announcer offers these details at the end, no apology and straight into the World Routes programme from Cape Verde already, I assume, 7 minutes in.
                  I felt right indignant I did as I drove along. It really isn't good enough that the R3 programmers deal with things in such a way; but I suppose it's what non-classical R3 listeners have got used to being treated like over the last few years - whenever there's an overrun, cut the beginning from Wo3, or LJ or WR. If I thought it would make a blind bit of difference I'd complain.

In the end I enjoyed a very interesting, what was left of it, programme about a place I know little about with some fine pieces of music. That Cesaria Evora has a voice to soothe my soul.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    If today's WR is anything to go by I think they'll do the job by Death by a Thousand cuts.
                    At 15.06 this afternoon they were still hanging about at the Wigmore Hall listening to the end of some String Driven Thing with Susie Klein that had been on earlier in the week and was being repeated. Announcer offers these details at the end, no apology and straight into the World Routes programme from Cape Verde already, I assume, 7 minutes in.
                    I felt right indignant I did as I drove along. It really isn't good enough that the R3 programmers deal with things in such a way; but I suppose it's what non-classical R3 listeners have got used to being treated like over the last few years - whenever there's an overrun, cut the beginning from Wo3, or LJ or WR. If I thought it would make a blind bit of difference I'd complain.

In the end I enjoyed a very interesting, what was left of it, programme about a place I know little about with some fine pieces of music. That Cesaria Evora has a voice to soothe my soul.
                    I agree JC - but I think it is worth dropping an email to the WR programme just to let them know someone noticed....and they can use it internally. And, who knows, it may even help.

Perhaps we need to organise a protest strike of World Music listeners to teach them a lesson?

Comment

I am not normally a WR listener - but do catch (and enjoy) it from time to time. I do however listen to Jazz Library and JRR (when it isn't shunted from the schedules completely as it was today!).

If a concert is recorded, has been previously broadcast and overran the first time, I am afraid I don't see why the overrun should be broadcast again.

I suppose (grudgingly) that in circumstances such as today when the Cardiff Singer of the World is a fixture at 2000h something has to give - but I agree why is it always the non-classical. Why can't they truncate or lose the opera for a change?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        ... - where did you hear that? My guess is the hour won't be lost but perhaps a new programme is now planned?
                        I don't think anything will happen to World Routes because, look!, it's:

Radio 3s flagship world music programme

All those other world music shows might cop it, but never the flagship, World Routes.

On all your behalves, I find this old press statement very calming.

Comment

Radio 3s flagship world music programme
                          The Radio 3 fleet seems to have a lot of flagships:

Breakfast - Radio 3's flagship breakfast programme
                          Music Matters - Radio 3's flagship classical music magazine programme
                          Night Waves - Flagship arts and ideas programme, featuring discussions between academics and artists

On johncorrigan's point, I agree. The recital was Monday's repeat so they knew it had overrun the hour. I would have thought that they could have shaved the few minutes off to preserve the following non-classical programme. I hear the BBC types springing to their feet here, pointing out that we (as in us) have complained about recorded concerts and recitals being chopped up. So let's say we disapprove of it as a principle, but there may be occasions when - to use a well-known BBC explanation to explain anything - it may be 'editorially justified'.

As a listener who isn't overly interested in 'world music', I have found the more contextualised approach of World Routes more to my taste on those occasions when the subject matter is of interest to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            I agree JC - but I think it is worth dropping an email to the WR programme just to let them know someone noticed....and they can use it internally. And, who knows, it may even help.

Perhaps we need to organise a protest strike of World Music listeners to teach them a lesson?
                            Did as you suggested Global - e-mail is winging its way to the WR folk.

Comment

I wonder why the OP chose the name ' Brighton Gull ' ?

Comment

Working...
                              X