World Routes

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brighton Gull View Post
    I've just heard that R3 is thinking of presenting a new programme on Saturdays, between 3 & 5pm, where celebs pick their favourite music - I think I have that info right. If I am correct, does anyone know what will happen to World Routes?
    World Routes still going strong Sunday evenings.

Lucy Durran deserves a gold medal for her programme on Samba. She has given me the answer to one of the great mysteries of 20th century popular music.

Comment

Well that's as enjoyable a 45 minutes as I've spent listening to music in a good while - 7 great tracks on WR review and finishing with Taj and Vusi Mahlasela - terrific journey from start to finish.
      Lucy Duran reviews recent world music CD releases and explores online archives.

Comment

Another great programme from Lucy last night.

It seemed to me the group Bongar were playing something that may have been pretty close to genuine African music - but with a simple melodic overlay. So was this a truly historic form of "original" Brazilian music , or was it perhaps a modern re-creation?

Comment

To answer my own question, it appears that Bongar is associated with the Candomble religion, and is well understood. But it is interesting, as it must be one of the surviving forms of music that originated in the 16th century, African music transposed to the American continent.

However I see they are closer to home, in that they have a link with a group in Northern Ireland, and often perform at the Belfast Carnival.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
            To answer my own question, it appears that Bongar is associated with the Candomble religion, and is well understood. But it is interesting, as it must be one of the surviving forms of music that originated in the 16th century, African music transposed to the American continent.

However I see they are closer to home, in that they have a link with a group in Northern Ireland, and often perform at the Belfast Carnival.
            A relevant piece of YouTube I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4g5Nbld3M

Comment

Thanks for the info Global - it's an interesting religion that candomble.

I see that tonight we've got the World Routes Academy - it'll be good to see how José Hernando's getting on. World Routes is in the 10 o'clock slot tonight and lasts for an hour.
              Last edited by johncorrigan; 27-05-12, 09:42. Reason: ..just in case anybody thinks any different!!!!

Comment

I really enjoyed that World Routes Imagined Village Max interviewing liverpool show tonight - although I was surprised that Stalinism was still around....whatever that is!...or was!
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 03-06-12, 23:12. Reason: just checkin' over my shoulder!!

Comment

It's still around John.
                  Songs in the Red Star Library are reprinted for educational, non-commerical, and fair use purposes only. Published under the provision of U.S. Code, Title 17...

Comment

And here's one they made earlier
                    WW2 American Wars Songs. "Stalin Wasn't Stallin' (A Modern Spiritual)" was an American patriotic song written in 1943 by Willie Johnson and originally record...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                      Now that's the start to a Monday you need Paul......of course I forgot that he moved around after he'd finished sorting out the USSR and created a bit unity elsewhere.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

PS, another AK fave!

Comment

electro voodoo

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Handsome, There are going to be one or two surprised guests when that warm-up piece is shown on the palace picnic big screen prior to Sir Cliff's performance.

Comment

one or two surprised guests

yes paul sherratt ........... phewee, that's all over now.

hark! is that dr lucy i can hear on my wireless now!?

Comment

World Routes is at 10 tonight and heading for Bamako - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kjtwn
                              or at least they were back in October; so before the trouble which seems to be getting worse - according to the info about the programme the music has fallen silent on the streets - and it looks like it's got a distance to go, calling it the new Somalia.
                              Up to 5,000 troops could be deployed to Mali in coming days to combat escalating Islamic extremism, say West African nations

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                World Routes is at 10 tonight and heading for Bamako - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kjtwn
                                or at least they were back in October; so before the trouble which seems to be getting worse - according to the info about the programme the music has fallen silent on the streets - and it looks like it's got a distance to go, calling it the new Somalia.
                                http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...?newsfeed=true
                                And what an excellent show it was from the good doctor. The griot version of 'rap' sounds more like a natural musical evolution - a form well suited to their needs. Some superb musicianship, presented with intelligence & thought. If you didn't catch it, remember that's what iplayer is for...

Comment

Working...
                                X