Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Academy is A Very Good Thing, imo, John. Lucy and James are off to Colombia at the end of April to record mentor & mentee
    at the big vallenato carnival that's held every year in Valledupar - so plenty in store I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      The Academy is A Very Good Thing, imo, John. Lucy and James are off to Colombia at the end of April to record mentor & mentee
      at the big vallenato carnival that's held every year in Valledupar - so plenty in store I think.
      Ahhhh the sweet sound of records from Columbia; and who remembers the 1940 Olympics?
      ...)

Last edited by Globaltruth; 30-01-12, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Ahhhh the sweet sound of records from Columbia; and who remembers the 1940 Olympics?
        ...)

a historic (inner) sleeve design globaltruth! meanwhile, presumably we had to 'make do' with 'his masters voice', (and the jack russel dog)

interesting to hear more from Colombia in the months ahead.

a particularly generous 'world routes' show last night, so glad the emphasis is on preservation, and passing on olde culture. congratulations to all!

erm ..... sky hasn't mentioned the academy winner ths far.... (but there's doubtless been some grotesque news of greed, or violence, to focus all media energy on instead : eh)!

Comment

Friends ... I know you all have huge demands on your time but if you want to enjoy a tremendous documentary on this Colombian music then
          head for youtube where ' El Acordéon Del Diablo ' featuring the true legend and creator of much the music, Pacho Rada, along with that rather ebullient
          Alfredo Gutiérrez, amongst others. It's in several parts but will form one of your five-a-day ...
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Last edited by Guest; 30-01-12, 19:59.

Comment

And I really should have included this link to the film

Comment

thanks for the 'five a day' tips, and to stefan schwietert's film making - magnifico

Comment

handsome,
                I bet that Stefan is a Les Blanc fan.

Comment

who wouldn't be a fan though eh!?

i would like to have been at the ny 2008 'complete retrospective' of blanc's fillums, preferably with (a large) thermosflask and plenty of sandwiches.

btw how many parts does 'accordian del diablo' have on youtube all together...?

Comment

I saw a ' Part 8 ' and assumed ( wrongly ? ) that the rest are there ?
                    I have it on video somewhere or other - recorded off Arte tv a few years back.

Comment

Finally managed to listen to this - uplifting (esp. as I'd previously listened to Jocelyn Pook's musings on death).
                      A worthy winner I reckon.

Enjoyment only marred by some bloke in the audience shouting
                      'Shame on yer, what's wrong with Garth Brooks. Oop the Potters.'
                      Disgraceful behaviour I thought.

I do agree it's a good use of licence payers money which in traditional style r3 manage to keep very quiet about...

Comment

Yes, there is always one. I noticed a gentleman who cheered before all the enthusiastic but polite clapping. Mind you, I preferred it to "if we must persist with that term". Call me a humble soul but I like it and think that we must. And for ever more.

So good was this programme that I will listen to it again. The two earlier winners were brilliant. And if my lunchtime ears did not deceive me, José Hernando Noguera is popping in to 94.9 tomorrow. A chat with Uncle Robert and maybe a performance or two.

Baker played River Man just after 3 accompanied by a log fire. There is something about that song which touches emotions that are almost beyond anything definable. I never tire of it and it could one day be the one record I would take more than any other.

Comment

I saw a ' Part 8 ' and assumed ( wrongly ? ) that the rest are there ?
                          I have it on video somewhere or other - recorded off Arte tv a few years back.

all nine episodes of pacho rada and co present and correct...eventually (only episode 2 was a bit slow appearing, but the rest roughly in sequence).

thanks v much for that excellent link/info paul sherratt. complete with yodeling

that's my 'nine a day' done and dusted!

Comment

Thanks for that hansome.
                            >>>complete with yodeling
                            I was sitting next to Lopa K at the gig and when ' the winner ' was announced I asked her she thought there
                            might be a bit of yodeling from the mentee or mentor. She looked at me as if I was daft !

Comment

>>Oop the Potters.'
                              Disgraceful behaviour I thought <<

I didn't hear that but obviously as a Port Vale chap, I'm bound to agree.
                              The poor Stoke fan probably wandered in by mistake. They struggle when outside N Staffs.

PS
                              We do have some time for high-wireact Mr Brooks in this area. Before it became Bentley, GC bought a dozen Rolls Royce cars as gifts
                              for his staff.

Comment

You don't get that kind of thing at York City.
                                Last edited by Guest; 31-01-12, 23:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X