Scott Ross - “Harpsichord Rebel” (Sunday Feature, 15.1.23)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott Ross - “Harpsichord Rebel” (Sunday Feature, 15.1.23)

Absolutely fascinating:

(I always wondered why in the 1980s, musical folk in Paris - where I was living at the time - went on & on about Ross and yet it was a name one hardly ever heard talked about back in the UK)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Absolutely fascinating:

(I always wondered why in the 1980s, musical folk in Paris - where I was living at the time - went on & on about Ross and yet it was a name one hardly ever heard talked about back in the UK)
    Haven’t listened to it yet. I remember reading about him when he was trying to finish his Scarlatti recordings before he died

Comment

I haven't read all this yet - I was looking for some pictures of the chateau which it has - but might be of interest
      On that sleeve for his 1985 recording of the Goldberg Variations , Scott Ross is seen standing in the grounds of Château d'Assas in Langued...

Comment

Indeed, it was a fascinating programme. I heard it as I was driving home from Manchester in the early evening. I’d never heard of Scott Ross until today.

Comment

I heard part of this whilst driving to work and found it fascinating. I’d always lusted after the complete Scarlatti set and picked it up in Nottinghill Gate. I’ve listened to the whole set twice and made a compilation cd of my favourite sonatas. I’m really looking forward to hearing this programme in its entirety.

I always thought the sound quality improved as the set continued. The playing is marvellous.

Comment

I first came across him in the 1970s when I think he was recording Couprin on Telefunken. One reason for his celebrity was the single-minded dedication to his art in the face of his health problems. As Andre Tubeuf said of Schnabel 'homme de rigeur et de sang-froid'.

Comment

Thanks for drawing attention to the programme about Scott Ross which I had missed. I only came across him via the Teldec Bach Edition which includes his excellent versions of The Italian Concerto and the Partitas. I have dipped into some of the Scarlatti, which are all on YouTube. If I got the full 555 I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get around to doing do it full justice.

Comment

France Musique et le festival Radio France Occitanie Montpellier proposent SCARLATTI 555, l’intégrale des sonates de Domenico Scarlatti donnée en concert. Récitals de clôture : François Guerrier (18h) et Frédérick Haas (20h).

That's a (French) programme about the Assas harpsichord.

Jean Rondeau has used the Assas harpsichord, which has been restored a bit since Ross's day -- here, you can see it and hear it in its modern incarnation.

'Vertigo': album out February 2016.Amazon: http://smarturl.it/vertigo-amazoniTunes: http://smarturl.it/vertigo-itunes More information: smarturl.it/rondeau-v...

I think the Frescobaldi was Ross's final recording, released in the year of death and I guess he must have known that death was likely when he recorded it. I always think you can sense something valedictory about the performances on it, but then, I have a very vivid imagination.

Girolamo Frescobaldi Toccatas & Dances1. Il Primo libro (Toccatas) 0:002. Partite Sopra L'Aria Della Romanesca 19:093. Il Secondo Libro 32:544. Aria Di Ba...
                Last edited by Mandryka; 16-01-23, 19:57.

Comment

When the complete edition of the Scarlatti sonatas was released Erato prepared a two disc set of highlights that was given to record shops and others, but not released for sale. I was given one of these highlights sets and for many years it was one of my favourite discs and was played regularly. I have since obtained his Bach recordings, which I think are wonderful as well.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

I had the feeling that his Scarlatti recordings were a bit unvaried compared with some others, and that it would have been nice to have used more than one instrument over the course of the set. But that was my impression back when it came out. I ought to give it another try to see if my impression might have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                      I had the feeling that his Scarlatti recordings were a bit unvaried compared with some others, and that it would have been nice to have used more than one instrument over the course of the set. But that was my impression back when it came out. I ought to give it another try to see if my impression might have changed.
                      I don't think the timescale allowed for anything other than just getting his head down and going for it. Perhaps, if there hadn't been the anniversary deadline to work to, using other instruments might have been an option - that's assuming Ross wanted to.

Comment

There's an earlier Scarlatti, just the 30 Essercizi, on Stil, which some people think is better. If anyone's interested and it's hard to get I can share the files.

Last edited by Mandryka; 16-01-23, 20:51.

Comment

I once went to a recital given by Sophie Yates and asked her afterwards if she would be interested in recording a complete Scarlatti cycle. Her eyes lit up and she replied that Yes, she would love to and she would use a variety of harpsichords.

I’ve always felt a little guilty about that exchange since I think that for about two seconds she thought I could make it happen until she realised I was just an average joe. One day, when those lottery numbers come up… (Along with the Berlin Philharmonic George Lloyd Symphony cycle…)

Comment

I admire Sophie Yates' recordings, especially her Handel discs.
                            The Brilliant Classics Scarlatti set from Pieter-Jan Belder is very good indeed, and he rings the changes over the 36 discs with a variety of different harpsichords, plus organ and fortepiano. I struck lucky in a closing down sale once and got the set for less than twenty quid!

Comment

I listened to Ross playing the third D’Anglebert suite today - certainly one of the more enjoyable things I’ve heard from him.

Comment

Working...
                              X