X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon Biazeck
    • Jul 2020

James Bowman (1941-2023)

The English countertenor, James Bowman has died.

In 2005, after several years of absence from the recording world, James Bowman recorded a very English recital programme covering five centuries of music. Pr...
    Last edited by Simon Biazeck; 28-03-23, 11:47. Reason: Link to auto-generated obituary site removed.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

A sad loss. Strange, though, that an obit that starts off with "Death Cause" then fails to indicate what that may have been.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Mighty loss.

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

As I recall him, he really 'moved-on' the concept of the counter-tenor voice from the older 'gentlemanly' image of Deller and co.

I remember seeing him on stage as a powerful 'Tamerlano'.

Comment

• CallMePaul
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Mighty loss.
          Agreed. I saw him perform in the 70s with the Early Music Consort of London and have a number of his recordings including (on LP so rarely played) the Willcocks/ King's Messiah where he sang all the alto numbers, which I think was the first time a countertenor had done this on record. He will be missed.

RIP James

Comment

• cat
            • May 2019

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            A sad loss. Strange, though, that an obit that starts off with "Death Cause" then fails to indicate what that may have been.
            That site uses AI to auto-generate obituaries solely to garner ad money. I'm sure in a day or two proper obituaries will be published in the broadsheets etc.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
              Agreed. I saw him perform in the 70s with the Early Music Consort of London and have a number of his recordings including (on LP so rarely played) the Willcocks/ King's Messiah where he sang all the alto numbers, which I think was the first time a countertenor had done this on record. He will be missed.

RIP James
              I saw him twice - at opposite ends of his career. First when I was student, also with the Early Music Consort, at Durham Music Festival 1970 and not again until over 40 years later in a concert at New College, Oxford.

RIP

Comment

• Master Jacques
                • Feb 2012

I'm shocked by the news, although I knew that James Bowman had not been in the best of health for some time. He has - quite simply - been one of the most important and cherished singers of "our time".

Comment

• silvestrione
                  • Jan 2011

I hear him immediately in my head singing 'Fine Knacks for Ladies' by Dowland...

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

There was a nice tribute on France Musique this morning, with an extract from his sublime AAM disc of the Vivaldi Stabat Mater. Another special disc is of the Queen Anne Birthday Ode with the AAM - the opening 'Eternal Light Divine' movement is just wonderful.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Sad news - time to get out the Pergolesi Stabat Mater with JB, Emma K and AAM/Hogwood

Comment

• hmvman
                        • Mar 2007

Sad news indeed. RIP, JB

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

A shame that the Glyndebourne DVD of A Midsummer Night's Dream is no longer in the catalogue. Fortunately, used copies are available at sensible prices.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck
                            • Jul 2020

I'm sure this has been shared elsewhere on the forum, but it is so engaging and a fitting tribute to this great singer and colleague.

The legendary counter-tenor talks to Wild Plum Arts about Benjamin Britten, new music he has sung, and more besides.

~SBz.
                            Last edited by Simon Biazeck; 28-03-23, 19:45.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
                              I'm sure this has been shared elsewhere on the forum, but it is so engaging and a fitting tribute this great singer and colleague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3hF4X3f6Bw
                              A wonderful, warm character coming over there. One of my early LPs:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X