Attention, newcomers: you're all invited to join Jon Jacob in a Proms Meetup

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention, newcomers: you're all invited to join Jon Jacob in a Proms Meetup

I just thought this might be a good place to mention that promenading newcomers are welcome to attend one of the Proms Meetups hosted by the talented and creative Jon Jacob, BBC producer and blogger extraordinaire:

"Are you thinking of going to a BBC Proms concert? Don’t know of anyone else who wants to go? Or maybe those people you’ve asked haven’t warmed to your persuasive tones? If you are going alone, you don’t want to and you fancy pairing up with me and a whole host of other people in similar situations, I’m proposing a #promsmeetup for selected concerts throughout the season. Equally nervous people feeling slightly self-conscious they’re going along to the Proms alone for the first time can meetup at a nominated time before the concert outside the Royal Albert Hall."

Keep checking his blog for more details...hope to see you there!

#promsmeetup

*blushes*

Thanks Cavatina. Very kind words.

Really hoping that we can get a bit 'oomph' behind it. I really like the idea of making some new friends via the Proms using the interweb as a starting point. On the one hand some people might be a little nervous about meeting up with strangers - in any other sphere you might be well advised to be cautious - but I figure that seeing as there are so many people there anyway, that it's somehow a less daunting prospect.

Spread the word. Thanks again for the link on here. Much appreciated.

Comment

And perhaps the nervous and slightly self-conscious thoroughlygood might spread the word (among Prommers particularly) about this forum

During the season the old BBC Proms messageboard (before people had to share the general board) was the busiest one on the Radio 3 site and we'd love to have some feedback about how people enjoyed (or didn't) the concerts.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Glad to help! I think this sounds like a marvelous way to foster a positive and welcoming atmosphere for newcomers, and hope it really takes off. Kudos!

FF: perhaps one way to promote the website would be to have someone print up a bunch of clever music-related pin badges, attach them to a colorful, hip-looking cardstock flyer with "Welcome to the Proms! Share your views at for3.org" etc. on the front, and Mr. Trueman's "Prommers Guide" in fine print on the back. Have a few of your minions snake down the day queues offering people their complimentary pin badges over opening weekend, and I'm sure you'd have lots of new posters by Monday. Oh, and for button ideas, I thought this one was particularly amusing...

Shop Treble Bass Clef Heart Mini Button designed by AlliCo. Lots of different size and color combinations to choose from. ✓Free Returns ✓High Quality Printing ✓Fast Shipping

And this one would be a perfect fit:

Shop Musical Shut Up Mini Button designed by AlliCo. Lots of different size and color combinations to choose from. ✓Free Returns ✓High Quality Printing ✓Fast Shipping

No? Oh well, that's what I'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          And perhaps the nervous and slightly self-conscious thoroughlygood might spread the word (among Prommers particularly) about this forum...
          It might first be a good idea to close off the repetitive & ill-informed gibberish now displayed in the Eternal Breakast & Classical Collection threads (maybe others) - they're too visible & just won't die naturally. Like it or not FoR3 is tarnished or enhanced by this forum & any BBC observers or potential new members will likely think the forum & FoR3 to be populated by pedantic, aged amateurs who've lost the plot. Incessant moaning here is bound to put many people off & will never do any good.

Sorry to interupt, Cavatina - what a good idea!

Comment

Loving the badge idea Cavatina. Your plea too French Franke. But when can wee meet face to face ? I don't think I've ever met you.

*looks all hopeful*

Comment

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
              It might first be a good idea to close off the repetitive & ill-informed gibberish now displayed in the Eternal Breakast & Classical Collection threads (maybe others) - they're too visible & just won't die naturally. Like it or not FoR3 is tarnished or enhanced by this forum & any BBC observers or potential new members will likely think the forum & FoR3 to be populated by pedantic, aged amateurs who've lost the plot. Incessant moaning here is bound to put many people off & will never do any good.

Sorry to interupt, Cavatina - what a good idea!
              As it happens Osborn, I'm relatively new here (signed up a year ago but haven't delved in very much). I've chosen to ignore any of that other stuff and just keep my eyes on this thread for the time being. Will venture further afield another time.

Are you at the Proms next Friday?

Comment

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
                any BBC observers or potential new members will likely think the forum & FoR3 to be populated by pedantic, aged amateurs who've lost the plot!

Is it possible that they don't think exactly the same as you?

Comment

Originally posted by thoroughlygood View Post
                  Loving the badge idea Cavatina. Your plea too French Franke. But when can wee meet face to face ? I don't think I've ever met you.

*looks all hopeful*
                  I'm a hick from the sticks and don't get to London too often. I'll probably see if I can get a night or two away coinciding with some nice-sounding PCMs and evening concerts that appeal. If I do ... I'll let you know

PS On the other issue - I'm keeping my mouth buttoned. This is about tg's #promsmeetup .
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This season is my first at the Proms, so I'll be looking forward to any #promsmeetup. Wonderful idea! Hope I have my twitter up and running on my prospective UK mobile.

And I'll be happy to wear a button or what-have-you for the site. I came here a couple month ago in search of a lively community, and I hope I've found the right place! I will however draw the line at sandwich board.

Comment

Well I'm something of a old retainer with regard to the Proms, as this will be my 20th Last Night if I make it to the end this year, but it will good to make new friends and renew old acquaintances on the south steps.

Havergal Brian rules! OK?

Comment

I always fear that things like 'live blogs' are primarily gimmicks but I have been following Mr Jon Jacob's 'First Night Live Blog', complete with behind-the-scenes video and audio clips, and it's really rather good: http://www.thoroughlygood.me/

Comment

I am actually quite excited by the First Night, particularly the Glagolitic Mass. So, shall we look out for the for3 MB afficiandos wearing their badges, or even their academic gowns or signature cushions? Well, at least give us a wave!

Comment

Working...
                          X