Substituting Martha Argerich

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substituting Martha Argerich

It was good that ticket-holders for Prom 5 were e-mailed to notify us that Martha Argerich would not be appearing on 18 July to perform in the Beethoven Triple Concerto. But I have to say I'm hugely unimpressed by news that she will be replaced by that evening's conductor, Myung-Whun Chung.

One of the four or five greatest pianists in the world cancels a concert - and you can bet that most of the people who bought tickets to the concert did so specifically to hear her - and the solution is simply to have the conductor take her place? I don't doubt Myung-Whun Chung's talent, but he's hardly a world-renowned pianist. Is there simply no other pianist with something approaching Argerich's reputation who's available at two or three weeks' notice? Or what about a young, up-and-coming pianist - maybe one of the BBC's own New Generation artists - who has the Triple Concerto in their repertoire and would leap at the opportunity to perform it at the Proms, before an audience that would be supportive, excited and interested to see what they would make of it. Having the conductor play suggests that the BBC is too lazy - or too cheap - to find a different substitute.

When seated tickets are as expensive as they are for the Proms, this leaves a sour taste.

I sympathise with you.

However, anyone who books tickets for an Argerich concert must realise that there is a high probability that she will cancel. She joined the list of frequent no-show pianists some time ago.

Comment

Hi James,

Martha Argarich has been unwell for some time.

Beethoven's Triple Concerto is not a virtuoso piece. Like the Pastoral Symphony it is one of Beethoven's gentlest pieces and was written for good amateurs to play. It was dedicated to Prince Franz Joseph Maximilian von Lobkowitz who played the violin part. I suppose we might say that the premiere included the conductor as pianist and, of course, composer . It is really like a very pleasant conversation with an orchestra butting in occasionally.

Myung-Wun Chung is best known as a conductor these days but regularly plays the piano. For many years he was the rock upon which the Chung Trio stood, playing with his sisters violinist Kyung-wha Chung (a fabulous player) and cellist Myung-wha Chung. In 1974 Myung-Wun Chung won the second prize of the Tchaikovsky Piano Competition in Moscow. He regularly plays (amongst other works) Beethoven's Triple concerto with Renaud Capuçon, violin, Gautier Capuçon, cello and the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France. If, like me, you often watch download concerts on Arte Live you will find that the Capuçons are almost honorary members of the orchestra. Look at it as three old friends making music together with their best mates.

I am sure you will be well surprised.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Comment

Substitute

This week's Radio Times lists Frank Braley as pianist now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
          This week's Radio Times lists Frank Braley as pianist now.
          Interesting, the news has not reached the Proms Website yet. It still proclaims Myung Wun Chung making his piano debut at the Proms. Mind you the brilliant young French pianist, Frank Braley often plays with Renaud and Gautier Capuçon.

Comment

I've just asked on Twitter, and got confirmation that Frank Braley will replace Martha Argerich in the performance of Beethoven's Triple Concerto at Prom 5.

Comment

Working...
            X