Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theoretically, I'm live and let live about this. I'm not sure, though, that graduate gowns and hoods would be quite appropriate. An undergraduate gown might be possible and, for students from one of the ancient Scottish universities, the toga (or toga rubra).

However, might it not reinforce prejudices about Prommers ... ? Perhaps a warning is implied in Wikipedia's details of toga-wearing at Aberdeen, in the remark: "This element of separation [i.e. town-and-gown] often caused gowned students to be jeered by the local children of the city."

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Saucer of milk for the buffoon in the stoat coat

Comment

Since you obviously know so much more about this than they do perhaps you could write to them and point out how wrong they were?
        Glad to. One of the BBC Singers. Not exactly an overwhelming vote of confidence, although I'll concede that a light operetta such as Iolanthe is a different kettle of fish than the Academic Festival Overture.

I just think that this sort of nonsense perpetuates the view that the proms are dominated by some sort of eccentric clique, and that the casual viewer on television, or a newbie to the experience, would find the whole thing off-putting and exclusive. I find the last night almost impossible to watch or listen to because of the idiotic behaviour of the Prommers. Let's not send any more of the Proms down the same route. It's a music festival, not a fancy-dress party.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          and for the Scythian Suite
          some suggestions

Invocation of the sun............http://www.djmick.co.uk/images/2011/02/peta-2-1.jpg

Dance of the pagan monsters ........http://www.newsbiscuit.com/images/2002.jpg

Moon maidens.........http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aLSLK3FmdG...ril%2B1949.jpg

etc

The opening of Haydn's Creation
          http://ssy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/clegg.jpg
          My computer wouldn't allow me access to your first link, GG - and that's saying a lot, given my... normal surfing routine.

S-A

Comment

I haven't got a academic gown. Maybe I could wear my theatre gown instead.

I work for the NHS so there must be one lying around somewhere.

(Is Doctor Atomic on?)

Comment

Perhaps we should all dress up for Janacek's Glagolitic Mass as well:

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                Perhaps we should all dress up for Janacek's Glagolitic Mass as well:

Inadvisable to wear that beret in a thunderstorm, mind...

BTW I rather think the Glagolithic to be a bit more pagan than Catholic

Comment

PhilipT
                  If my memory is correct there was if was not just the BBC Singers who passed on their thanks.

To the objectors it is a harmless bit of fun. An elite clique does not own the Proms and neither do you.

Comment

Apologies for the way the first part of my last message appeared. It was done on a mobile with a very weak data link.

I really must learn how to press button A and B in the right order.

Comment

[The diversions may be pursued here.]
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Hey, let's just relax. It's only a bit of fun which hurts no-one.

Comment

Does this mean Prommers can come to the Gothic Symphony dressed in every item of clothing they own?

Comment

Minimalism. Can't wait for that one!

3VS

Comment

The Proms publicity is very clear that there is no dress code at the Proms. This means that (apart from rules of common decency) no-one should try to tell anyone else what they should or shouldn't wear at ANY Prom - it doesn't preclude anyone from making suggestions about what they might like to wear, and even encouraging them to do so with the offer of a glass of champagne, which isn't entirely unknown. While I wouldn't want to participate myself, I find the idea of a front row at the Gothic packed with skinny lads in black T-shirts and black jeans, and overweight girls in black skirts with heavy fringes, umm, fascinating ..

Comment

PhilipT

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X