Pubs are excellent places to get drinks

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pubs are excellent places to get drinks

Anyone care to recommend their favorite RAH-area pubs or restaurants?

And for those nights when there's a late Prom, is there a "late night" pub nearby where one might grab a quickie before they close?

The only one I've ever been to is 5 mins walk away, in Queen's Gate Mews: http://www.thequeensarmskensington.co.uk/

Very nice to mill around outside on a warm evening, away from the traffic, getting some fresh air after the concert. And also goggle at the vintage cars in the showroom opposite - Bugattis, Lagondas etc.

Very civilised.

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 08-07-11, 16:06.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Iirc the nearest pub was down Queens Gate Mews, about 5 minutes' walk away from the RAH. No other prommers seemed to know about it, so it was a good place to go for an interval refreshment - better than the RAH bar.

This was back in the 60s, mind.

S-A

Comment

Ah! my post crossed with Caliban's. Good to know great minds think alike!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Ah! my post crossed with Caliban's. Good to know great minds think alike!

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The Queens Arms is the nearest
            the RAH is a pain if you want to nip out and have a cheap(ish) cup of tea and cheese sandwich
            I guess all the folks in the posh apartments don't really need caffs or a local
            you are going to need more than a pint for the 17th though

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              you are going to need more than a pint for the 17th though
              I shan't drink anything beforehand for that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I shan't drink anything beforehand for that one!
                you will probably need several after though (i'm trying to decide whether to come or not, a friend of mine who has played it says it's dreadful and would be a waste of a good evening , on the other hand .............. i'm a bit intrigued but if I do make it will definitely bring a hip flask !)

Comment

Very nice to mill around outside on a warm evening, away from the traffic, getting some fresh air after the concert. And also goggle at the vintage cars in the showroom opposite - Bugattis, Lagondas etc.

Very civilised.
                  I'll second all the above- the Queen's Arms is the Albert Hall pub!

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Agreed about the Queens. But Caliban the vintage cars have not been there for at least a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Mersey View Post
                      Agreed about the Queens. But Caliban the vintage cars have not been there for at least a couple of years.
                      A quick look at the website-

shows that they've moved to Richmond. A shame- I used to enjoy dreaming about owning one of those wonderful cars over a pint or three.....

Ah well, if I win the 166,000,000 euro lottery I might pay them a visit!
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Always had a soft spot for the Hoop and Toy - not least because it features in Roman Polanski's film, Repulsion.

Comment

The bar in IC is a lot cheaper than most of the hostelries in the area, and it is just across the road from the Albert Hall, if you're after a quick drink before the concert. The Queen's Arms and Legs is good though expensive, but my favourite has to be the Gloucester Arms (nee the Finnegans Wake) on the Gloucester Road. It has so many memories for me, it's coming out of my ears.

I know the Hoop and Toy, of course, as it's just across the road from my favourite Italian restaurant Pierinos: however I didn't realise that it was in a Polaski film...

Comment

I should have said "Roman Polanski" to avoid confusion with the celebrated soprano Deborah Polaski (who was a much better singer than Anne Evans as Brünnhilde under Uncle Bernie Haitink at CovG in the early 90s, but I digress).

Comment

Gosh, you all seem to frequent the same hostelries and eateries as myself. I first discovered the Queen's "Legs" in 1968 and have been there most Prom seasons. There was the pleasure of dreaming about owning one of the vintage cars in the showroom of Coys. Then we used to enjoy chatting with the musicians: Hugh Bean was a regular, John Georgiardis and Colin Davis occasionally, Anna Reynolds the mezzo popped in with her then husband Frank Shipway, the conductor, (she is now married to Jean Cox, the heldentenor), Jack Brymer and co.

Then the ex Colonel mentions Pierino's (my favourite thin crispy pizzas). Why Ex? have you been promoted to Brigadier?

I remember John Georgiardis for an occasion when he had parked his open sports car outside the Queens. A lout backed his car quite loudly into his front bumper as he pulled out (happily no damage done) and drove off at speed. But the principle still stands, the driver should have had the manners to stop. JG with equal speed after shouting "Oi! Stop!" threw his car keys very hard at the retreating rear window cracking the pane. Sadly, the driver continued roaring into the distance.

Comment

Working...
                              X