Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
    My usually hazy memory clears - I saw her on stage at the ROH in Esclarmonde. It must have been one of the last productions she did at the ROH? (The programme is packed away). I was impressed with the voice, the acting was no doubt adequate but I don't recall it one way or the other. Which goes for the piece itself.

I've never really clicked with Massenet or French operatic music, although I did go to Werther recently, and, now, would give other Massenet a try. Maybe I'll listen to more Massenet - it would be better if I'd seen it live first though.
    I enjoyed Manon at the ROH with Netrebko and the now rather tarnished in reputation Grigolo.

Comment

What little I know of Manon, courtesy of various YouTube clips has attracted me, especially the St Sulpice scene smoulderingly sung here by Netrebko (especially from 4 minutes or so) and Villazon in fine voice. There is an even finer version by these two but I couldn't find it. https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf...MVMNf6Zi_D6iAw

Comment

The Pappano recording is very fine .

Comment

I have listened to Esclarmonde a lot in the last few weeks - Sutherland and Bonynge seem very much free to do what they wish with the music there being no living competitors . Some of their other recordings seem boxed in by comparison.

It is music to cheer you up.

Comment

Working...
          X