Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prom 9: Thursday 21st July, 2011 at 7.30 p.m. (Sibelius, Bartók, Janácek)

Default Prom 9: Thursday 21st July, 2011 at 7.30 p.m. (Sibelius, Bartók, Janácek)

Presented by Martin Handley

Two works by Sibelius begin this concert with Sir Mark Elder and the Hallé. Scènes Historiques Suite No 2 reveals the composer's lighter side, opening with The Chase, in which horns are heard through the mist, followed by a wild chase, with impelling rhythms. The great Seventh Symphony has long been admired for its intensity and concision; its conclusion has been called "the grandest celebration of C major there ever was".

Bartók's last completed concerto was written in conditions of great poverty and adversity during the composer's exile in New York, but none of this is apparent from the work itself., which is generally melodic, mellow, even nostalgic in tone. It is championed tonight by András Schiff, appearing at the Proms for the first time since his 2006 solo recital. And, to close, a joyous sequence of sonic snapshots: Janácek's Sinfonietta is his typically bold evocation of a beloved city, the Moravian regional capital, Brno.

Sibelius: Scènes historiques - Suite No. 2
    Sibelius: Symphony No. 7 in C major
    Bartók: Piano Concerto No. 3
    Janácek: Sinfonietta

András Schiff (piano)
    Hallé
    Sir Mark Elder (conductor)

Quote Originally Posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Bartók's last completed concerto ...
    Completed, yes, but not by Bartók, who did not quite manage the task. The final few bars were the work of Serly et al, IIRC.

Serly tout seul, I think, Bryn? I don't have my score handy, but I seem to remember it was the last 17 bars that Serly orchestrated/completed. Nice job he made of it too, though I don't know how extensive Bartók's sketches were.

Heck of a nice programme, this one.

Fully agree with you Makropulos about the programme - and I'll certainly be tuning in. When the schedules were first published I frankly (admittedly on cursory reading) was underwhelmed. However just looking through this forum now I must say there are some interesting concerts that have been programmed - and that's just this coming week :-) !

Best Wishes,

Tevot

This is going to be my first prom in the hall - what an exciting programme. It suggests to me those programmes of the past which seemed not to conform as much tp the overture-concerto-symphony mould. Can't wait
    "There is not much to see here," said I.
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."

Bleak House, Chapter 60

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban View Post
    This is going to be my first prom in the hall - what an exciting programme. It suggests to me those programmes of the past which seemed not to conform as much tp the overture-concerto-symphony mould. Can't wait
    Caliban, you mean your first Prom in the hall this year I presume?

Quote Originally Posted by salymap View Post
    Caliban, you mean your first Prom in the hall this year I presume?
    Oooops I do indeed saly!
    "There is not much to see here," said I.
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."

Bleak House, Chapter 60

It's on BBC4. The interval "special guests" are more object and less gushing than usual, which can only be a good thing.
    The interview with Schiff was interesting. He suggested that there was only one way to play Bartok - the way the composer himself played it. Does that mean I should ditch all but 2 of my CDs of Elgar's Enigma Variations, and 25 Alpensinfonies? :sadface
    THERE's some sparkling playing from Schiff tonight, but he's safe as Barto never recorded it.

I could do without the permanent text in the corner of the screen telling me which piece of music we are listening to. Yes I now it's Bartok's piano concerto no 3, that's why I'm watching!
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

I forgot all about it being on BBC4. Fortunately there is an early hours repeat. Recorder duly programmed.