Prom 9: Thursday 21st July, 2011 at 7.30 p.m. (Sibelius, Bartók, Janácek)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 9: Thursday 21st July, 2011 at 7.30 p.m. (Sibelius, Bartók, Janácek)

Presented by Martin Handley

Two works by Sibelius begin this concert with Sir Mark Elder and the Hallé. Scènes Historiques Suite No 2 reveals the composer's lighter side, opening with The Chase, in which horns are heard through the mist, followed by a wild chase, with impelling rhythms. The great Seventh Symphony has long been admired for its intensity and concision; its conclusion has been called "the grandest celebration of C major there ever was".

Bartók's last completed concerto was written in conditions of great poverty and adversity during the composer's exile in New York, but none of this is apparent from the work itself., which is generally melodic, mellow, even nostalgic in tone. It is championed tonight by András Schiff, appearing at the Proms for the first time since his 2006 solo recital. And, to close, a joyous sequence of sonic snapshots: Janácek's Sinfonietta is his typically bold evocation of a beloved city, the Moravian regional capital, Brno.

Sibelius: Scènes historiques - Suite No. 2
    Sibelius: Symphony No. 7 in C major
    Bartók: Piano Concerto No. 3
    Janácek: Sinfonietta

András Schiff (piano)
    Hallé
    Sir Mark Elder (conductor)

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Bartók's last completed concerto ...
    Completed, yes, but not by Bartók, who did not quite manage the task. The final few bars were the work of Serly et al, IIRC.

Comment

Serly tout seul, I think, Bryn? I don't have my score handy, but I seem to remember it was the last 17 bars that Serly orchestrated/completed. Nice job he made of it too, though I don't know how extensive Bartók's sketches were.

Heck of a nice programme, this one.

Comment

Fully agree with you Makropulos about the programme - and I'll certainly be tuning in. When the schedules were first published I frankly (admittedly on cursory reading) was underwhelmed. However just looking through this forum now I must say there are some interesting concerts that have been programmed - and that's just this coming week :-) !

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

This is going to be my first prom in the hall - what an exciting programme. It suggests to me those programmes of the past which seemed not to conform as much tp the overture-concerto-symphony mould. Can't wait
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            This is going to be my first prom in the hall - what an exciting programme. It suggests to me those programmes of the past which seemed not to conform as much tp the overture-concerto-symphony mould. Can't wait
            Caliban, you mean your first Prom in the hall this year I presume?

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              Caliban, you mean your first Prom in the hall this year I presume?
              Oooops I do indeed saly!

Comment

It's on BBC4. The interval "special guests" are more object and less gushing than usual, which can only be a good thing.
                The interview with Schiff was interesting. He suggested that there was only one way to play Bartok - the way the composer himself played it. Does that mean I should ditch all but 2 of my CDs of Elgar's Enigma Variations, and 25 Alpensinfonies? :sadface
                THERE's some sparkling playing from Schiff tonight, but he's safe as Barto never recorded it.

Comment

I could do without the permanent text in the corner of the screen telling me which piece of music we are listening to. Yes I now it's Bartok's piano concerto no 3, that's why I'm watching!
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

I forgot all about it being on BBC4. Fortunately there is an early hours repeat. Recorder duly programmed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      I forgot all about it being on BBC4. Fortunately there is an early hours repeat. Recorder duly programmed.
                      Returned from the Hall, where of course the cameras were in evidence - I assumed it was being recorded for future Tx, thanks very much for the heads-up about the relay this evening. Shall consult the iPlayer this weekend. It will be interesting to see how it came across the airwaves.

The highlight by a mile was the Bartok. Schiff's tone on the piano absolutely ravishing, subtle, poignant.

But in the Hall, the Sibelius 7 (and, to a lesser extent, Sinfonietta) needed much more edge, a pulse - the symphony in particular seemed... well I said 'polite', someone I was with said 'light', someone else 'limp'. It was disappointing. Parts of it felt like an early run-through. Some great solo playing - but it was the delicate jewellery of the concerto that was suited by the Hallé/Elder approach (and the agreeable Sibelius opener, which is delicate and light).
                      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 21-07-11, 22:39.

Comment

The early hours repeat starts at 01:45 on BBC4 (just over 2 hours time). If programming a recorder, best to allow 2 hours 30 minutes for safety, I guess.

Comment

Very good Prom tonight, again from the Arena (rather closer to the stage than usual for me). INPO:

(1) and (2): I'm a big Sibelius fan, so it was a treat to hear the suite from Scènes historiques live, which I will undoubtedly never hear live ever again. The Sibelius 7 was more spacious in places than I've heard in other live performances, which worked for me.
                          (3) Schiff seemed a tad mannered in one or two places in the 1st 2 movements of the Bartok, which led to some note-fudging. Fortunately, the finale was clear sailing. His encore, the 'Hungarian Melody' by Schubert, announced very gently from the stage, was splendid.
                          (4) The 13 extra brass for the fanfare were placed stage right/house left in the first tier of risers directly behind the orchestra, and it worked quite well, with the 'call and response' element of the finale between them and the regular orchestral brass coming off nicely. Sir Mark took that opening/closing fanfare fractionally faster than I'm used to hearing, but it worked out fine.

This was my first experience hearing the Hallé live (for obvious logistical reasons, given my moniker), and I now understand their high reputation among aficionados.

Comment

I watched it on BBC 4. The Bartok Third as Caliban says was ravishing as was the Schubert encore: A Hungarian Melody. A remarkable performance from Andras Schiff.

I loved the Scenes Historiques. The second suite is so rarely played. A few years ago Elder gave a taught rendition of the 7th Symphony which hit the Sibelian G-spot which I heard on the radio: if I remeber rightly they played some Colin Matthews in the same programme. However I was confused by this latest Sibelius 7. I felt Elder fiddled about with phrases, teasing them and trying to explore untried effects and several times the central section almost ground to a halt. Maybe I am used to the colder, blunter, brisker Sibelius of Alex Gibson and Colin Davis but this left me feeling rather flat. I liked the Janacek right up until the closing section where the trumpet fanfares return when the music was brilliantly articulated by the flutes and piccolo who seemed to drown out all that those brass players who appeared to lose all umph.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                              ... ravishing as was the Schubert encore: A Hungarian Melody. A remarkable performance from Andras Schiff.
                              Yes Chris, I forgot to mention the encore - a real treat. What a pianist!

Comment

Working...
                              X