Prom 9: Thursday 21st July, 2011 at 7.30 p.m. (Sibelius, Bartók, Janácek)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Intriguing interviews with 3 punters on the rail in the arena after that, though: any Message Boarders among the trio???
    In connection with the Proms, what is a punter? From the definitions in the Urban Dictionary, even though some are quite reasonable, I don't think I want to be known as a punter.

Of course, if you were to go to the Proms regularly, you'd most probably know them.

Comment

As a musical term, "punter" simply denotes a bread and butter providing member of the public, i.e. them as buys the tickets, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
        That final C major chord [Sibelius 7th] has to be absolutely electrifying in its majesty not, as I heard last night, somewhat low on voltage - a light giving one final weak burst before it finally goes out.
        The whole Sibelius 7 seemed low on voltage ... although I was listening through TV speakers so wouldn't have got much low brass or double bass.

It's quite funny, these days almost everytime I hear a Sibelius symphony, the "soundbites" that stick out are those snippets used in the boot-up sequence of various versions of the Sibelius notation software ... quite a distraction! And there's a bit in Sibelius 5 quoted in PMD's Symphony No.1 which has a similar distractive effect. How does one exorcise such connotations?

Comment

I really enjoyed this concert and I thought that the Seventh Symphony worked well. For me though the second half of the concert "stood out."

Here's a review from Andrew Clements in the Guardian which some of you may not have already seen.

András Schiff's strikingly thoughtful account of Bartók's Third Piano Concerto really caught the attention – the opening movement quietly reflective and almost elegiac, writes Andrew Clements

and another from a site that is new to me:-

As an aside - does anybody have any comments / opinions about the Halle under Elder - how does it compare say to the Halle of say 30 years ago?

Best wishes,

Tevot

Comment

The Sibelius like Caliban said earlier, was rather to 'polite', but the Bartok was a different league. A great peformance, apart from maybe (was it the first movt?), where i think Schiff played a feew wrong notes? Havnt heard the Janacek Sinfoniettta(being rather tired at this point!!)
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              As a musical term, "punter" simply denotes a bread and butter providing member of the public, i.e. them as buys the tickets, innit?
              But for those of us in the Arena (as well as those in the Gallery) the accepted term is "Prommer". Why not use that word, instead of another which has connotations of gambling addiction and prostitute usage?

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Sullivan View Post
                But for those of us in the Arena (as well as those in the Gallery) the accepted term is "Prommer". Why not use that word, instead of another which has connotations of gambling addiction and prostitute usage?

What century are you living in? I don't see it as pejorative in any sense. It is commonly used with the meaning that Bryn indicated, and is a very useful and apposite word.

Comment

I thought punters floated aimlessly down the River Cam

Comment

Oh come on - 'punters' just means 'customers' - in the real world in the 21st century, that is.

The "connotations" you mention make me think Beckenham must have really changed since I last went there 20 odd years ago...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Oh come on - 'punters' just means 'customers' - in the real world in the 21st century, that is.
                      That's just your interpretation of the word.

The "connotations" you mention make me think Beckenham must have really changed since I last went there 20 odd years ago...
                      I wouldn't know. I spend most of my time in bed and at the Royal Albert Hall, so I don't have much time to look around Beckenham, although there are a few bookies and, according to the adverts in the local rag, a few brothels, just as in any other urban location.

Comment

That's just your interpretation of the word.
                        Not so - I use it based on its common English usage these days

Comment

I'm a punter

You're a punter

She/he's a punter

We're punters

You're punters

They're punters

It all fits, innit

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I'm a punter

You're a punter

She/he's a punter

We're punters

You're punters

They're punters

It all fits, innit
                            The world is full of complete punters, Ammy...

Comment

I use it based on my aunt Ena's usage - and you can't get more common!
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I enjoyed the Bartok piano concerto,this music obviouly means a lot to Andras Schiff. The Janacek was superb.Sibelius just doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid (which is obviously my loss).

Comment

Working...
                                X