Martha

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martha

Why all this concentration on Martha Argerich? She has cancelled, hasn't she? - again.

I speak with feeling as I once bought an expensive ticket for one of her concerts and she cancelled that too. I cannot remember who replaced her. Never again.

And who is replacing her this time?

And, while I am in a bad mood, what are the odds that Maria Joao Pires will cancel too?

Originally posted by Alf-Prufrock View Post
    And, while I am in a bad mood, what are the odds that Maria Joao Pires will cancel too?
    The odds of a performer cancelling are always go up by at least 200% immediately I buy a ticket for the recital. (I promise I'll only listen on the Radio 3.)

Comment

Much as I admire Martha Argerich's artistry, I'd never even contemplate going to see her live, because of her 'no show' reputation.

She really has become the Sly Stone of classical piano.

Comment

And who is replacing her this time?
        It was originally announced that the conductor, Myung-Whun Chung, would play. Latest is that it's the French pianist Frank Braley - making a French trio with the Capuçon brothers.

Add: I see from Wikipedia that he and les Capuçon are a regular trio for chamber performances.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Mandryka

She's good in Prokofiev 3, she should be, she plays it practically every week. I don't deny her great artistry when it's at it's best, but she can sometimes verge on the slapdash when she isn't completely committed on the occasion, and like many modern performers she loves to play too fast and rushes her fences as a result.
          The present adulation is a bit irritating, and I can think of many pianists who are just as deserving, but fashions come and go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            Mandryka

She's good in Prokofiev 3, she should be, she plays it practically every week. I don't deny her great artistry when it's at it's best, but she can sometimes verge on the slapdash when she isn't completely committed on the occasion, and like many modern performers she loves to play too fast and rushes her fences as a result.
            The present adulation is a bit irritating, and I can think of many pianists who are just as deserving, but fashions come and go.
            It's wrong, but performers who are capable of breathtaking brilliance one night and plodding mediocrity (or inadequacy) the next always seem to be prized more than performers who are reliably good, never or rarely cancel and are generally professional in all things. People buy their tickets in the hope that they'll see/hear something great, but can come away disappointed.

Personally, I try to avoid these kind of mavericks in concert - I believe there are relatively few in the classical world, though the rock world teems with them.

Comment

I see from the Verbier programme that she and the Capuçon are playing in a programme together this coming Friday. It'll be interesting to see if she shows for that. All three are regulars at the Verbier festival.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I have seen a DVD od her playing the Triple Concerto with the Capuçons. Frankly it was grim; Argerich especially was all over the place. Braley can only be an improvement

Comment

Martha Argerich is now 70 and one cannot expect the fantastic virtuosity of her younger days. The Ravel concerto at the 2009 Proms showed the old fingers couldn't match what she could achieve 40 years ago. This morning in CD Review some of her Tchaikovsky 1st Concerto with Kondrashin was played - some incredible pianism there, later bettered by her third recording with Abbado - but it's a roller-coaster ride, not for everyday consumption!.

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Friar View Post
                    Martha Argerich is now 70
                    Not only 70, but hasn't been in good health either. All things taken together, sadly, I suppose you have to ask yourself in the first place whether it's worth buying a ticket in the hope of hearing her recapture her best. Frank Braley isn't terribly well-known here but he would have been a very worthy first choice anyway, if it hadn't been for the diversion of Argerich.

Comment

I only saw Martha Argerich once with her ex husband Charles "I want you in my hotel room naked" Dutoit, I think in Prokofiev 3 at the Proms, but she is a notorious no shower. However good she is, people who just buy tickets to see her rather than to hear the music itself are really missing the point. I'm sure that Frank Braley will be an excellent replacement.

That said, I did have five tickets to hear Klaus Tennstedt in Mahler and other works, and he was indisposed for all them (not surprising, as he smoked 70 cigarettes a day). And to make things worse, the replacement was (shock horror) Lorin Maazel...

Comment

. . . what are the odds that Maria Joao Pires will cancel too?
                        Excellent odds - go for it!

Over the years I booked three times for her and all I got was three cancellations. Never again!
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Thanks for the news that Frank Braley is replacing Martha. I have heard him in the Ravel Trio with the Capuçon brothers. Quite wonderful. I would take him any time over Martha, to be frank.

Comment

What a load of sour nonsense . OK she cancels from time to time - she is 70 years old and has recovered from cancer . Quite clearly despite her supreme talent she seems to have quite severe self-confidence issues judging by all the profiles I have read .

Anyone , who thinks she is in decline should go and listen to the Lugano Festival recordings of the past few years . The Chopin Concerto No 1 from 2010 is better than both her studio recordings to my ears and was raved about by AMcG this morning too .

I was lucky enough to see her at the 2009 Prom , unlike an earlier poster but like the audience that night I thought it was quite brilliant and I shall always remember it together with the Scarlatti encore.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              What a load of sour nonsense . OK she cancels from time to time - she is 70 years old and has recovered from cancer . Quite clearly despite her supreme talent she seems to have quite severe self-confidence issues judging by all the profiles I have read .

Anyone , who thinks she is in decline should go and listen to the Lugano Festival recordings of the past few years . The Chopin Concerto No 1 from 2010 is better than both her studio recordings to my ears and was raved about by AMcG this morning too .

I was lucky enough to see her at the 2009 Prom , unlike an earlier poster but like the audience that night I thought it was quite brilliant and I shall always remember it together with the Scarlatti encore.
                              I agree with you, I unlike most of the postings on this topic am a big fan of Martha. I've been lucky enough to see her 2 times live in concert. I think that we always have to be fair in criticism. I have been lucky enough to see some great pianists live, Perahia, Schiff, Uchida and Argerich. All great in my book.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X