Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to print Proms programme notes

Is there a way to do this? I use a Macintosh. I realize I could take screen images of each page but...... The flash player does not seem to have this option in Firefox or Chrome.

SOLVED: SEE BELOW.......
    Last edited by Guest; 20-07-11, 14:44. Reason: found solution and posted it as a new reply

Hello, Phil - good to see you!

I'll have to investigate this. It may be intended that people shouldn't do so - would be a pity because there's some really good stuff there. Full marks to R3. But they do seem to be releasing this information online quite cautiously.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

If you click the 'zoom out' icon and then click on the right arrow to cycle through all of the pages, you will find in your browser's cache a set of files of the form 'pagenn_zoom.jpg'. You will be able to browse the images at leisure or even print them. (Copying to a new directory is safer if you want to keep the files.) (The trick is knowing where the browser's cache is. I can't help you on that, I'm afraid.)

Comment

Andrew, I suppose you are using a Wintel machine. Correct?

I tried this on my mac with Chrome, Firefox and Safari. I found the caches for all three of these apps. I had the most success with Safari which let me see "webpage previews" which were jpeg files. These turn out to the the proms pages one sees. But the zoom files were not available at least the cache files could not be opened with a jpeg application. Note too, that I searched over "hidden" files in case these were made invisible. Does anyone have another suggestion?
        Last edited by Guest; 17-07-11, 22:13. Reason: missing some words

Comment

I've just checked out the programme notes for Prom 4.

When I scrolled down below the 'flash' book-form programme notes there were the links to individual programme notes for the pieces in the concert. These text programme notes aren't in an ideal format to print as there are the Proms calendars on the right. However, it is a simple matter to copy the text and paste it into Word, or equivalent programme.

Comment

You are absolutely correct. But of course the full program text is not available using this method. I was hoping to get the libretto form William Tell.
            Thanks for pointing this out.
            Phil

Comment

Apologies - I see what you mean!

Comment

Originally posted by philliplederer View Post
                You are absolutely correct. But of course the full program text is not available using this method. I was hoping to get the libretto form William Tell.l
                Well, it is there but it looks as if you'll have to work for it!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by philliplederer View Post
                  Andrew, I suppose you are using a Wintel machine. Correct?
                  Yes, I was using Windows, and Internet Explorer.

I note that Google Chrome even on a PC doesn't store the files as I assumed: but on my PC I managed to find a file (obvious from its size > 100KB and its timing), copied it to another drive, gave it a .jpg extension and read it successfully. I don't know whether this will work on a Mac ...

Comment

SOLVED: how to print Proms Programme booklets on a Mac using Safari.

Here is how to do it:

1.Find the proms programme booklet you want to print from the Proms webpages. Click on it to zoom in.

2.Download "FileJuicer" http://echoone.com/filejuicer/download

(Filejuicer provides a free trial which allows unlimited use viewing jpg files. A very neat watermark that says "FileJuicer" is printed on the top left hand corner of an image--it is not very distracting. If you want unlimited, un-watermarked use, it costs $20. I am happy with the trial version.)

3. Locate your Safari "cache.db:. It is found in Users/the users name here/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/cache.db

(The cache file is an encoded database that FileJuicer can decode.)

4. Drag the cache.db file into FileJuicer. This will create a list of Jpg and other files found in the cache. (Unless you have cleared the cache, you will find lots of images here!)

5. Browse through these and then open the desired ones with a jpg viewer such as "Preview". Then print using Preview which allows multiple images per print page. That is it.

Thanks for the help from everyone at For3.org

Phil in Rochester NY USA

Comment

Working...
                    X