Murdoch: Ouf! Is this meltdown?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murdoch: Ouf! Is this meltdown?

Phone hacking: Rebekah Brooks arrested and now the Met Commissioner resigns ...

Blige! (As we used to say in our village)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Could we organise a sweep to see who'll be next?

Comment

Falling like ninepins. Fascinating stuff. I think the Commons committee should shelve its hearings until the investigation has run its course. Either those summoned are likely to have been arrested come Tuesday or they'll do an Ollie North and keep schtum. Good theatre but not much else.

Comment

There has been a deafening silence from Cameron over the weekend.

Hague piped up yesterday to defend his relationship with Coulson.

Am I the only person who feels that Stephenson's resignation makes Cameron's position untenable?

Comment

As I said before, Brooks being arrested by appointment on a Sunday, cannot appear before tribunal on Tuesday, ditto Stephenson ....... so, nice and cosy, all in remand and cannot talk. Moi? Cynical?

Comment

Augean stables ? - the diversion of two rivers to wash away 30 years accumulation of dung - though the originator of the scheme was not given his promised reward - 30 years of dung from the Murdoch stables seems to require a few days longer to wash away.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              As I said before, Brooks being arrested by appointment on a Sunday, cannot appear before tribunal on Tuesday, ditto Stephenson ....... so, nice and cosy, all in remand and cannot talk. Moi? Cynical?
              My thoughts also when I heard the news at about 1 today.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                My thoughts also when I heard the news at about 1 today.
                The Labour people are being a bit cautious. I think there's a possibility that the police are trying to protect their case. With the eyes of the nation on the committee enquiry, they don't want anyone claiming she won't get a fair trial - should she be charged.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

So being responsible for dodgy dealings with the press is worthy of resignation (quite rightly IMV)
                  and being responsible for your officers murdering an innocent man on the tube gets you promotion ?

lets hope some sticks to Cameron :biggrin:

Comment

An interesting theory being propounded on Radio 4 10pm news: that the reason Paul Stephenson gave for his resignation might not be the whole truth and that there is a big question for Paul Stephenson to answer. It was Stephenson, it seems, who set the ridiculously short time-scale of a few hours for John Yates to decide whether or not to re-open the hacking investigation. This put John Yates in an extremely difficult situation and meant there was only one answer that he could give.

(I wondered something along the same lines in the earlier thread, which is now closed.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                      Good theatre but not much else.
                      I think we should give Rupert Murdoch and News Corps more credit.

Once it was obviously damaging his business, Rupert seems to have been sincerely moved by the reports of phone hacking this week. Rupert has shown us that he's a man of honour who believed he had a reputation that had been tarnished. He even referred to the hacking as not reflecting the values of his mother and father.

"Look at me!", says Rupert, "I had a mum and dad and I can prove it. So, I'm really not a bastard, after all."

Presumably News Corps have finally forked out for some external public relations advice. Be interesting to see where that shows in the companies' accounts.

I think we should be looking at what the crooks and shysters in his companies are doing now and will do next. He and they have been happy to go along with anything his venemous organs have done for the last 40 years but this, this has affected Rupert, Rupert's mum and Rupert's dad.

PR. Every word of it. Every action.

Meltdown? I don't believe it's any such thing.

Comment

I have to say that this whole affair is beginning to resemble a witch hunt. All the wronged MPs, and non-News Corp papers, have a sniff of blood, and are not going to let go. Not to mention the BBC, whose main competitors are, of course, BskyB and Sky news.

It didn't take long for Gordon Brown's pantomime tirade to be exposed as the nonsense it was- even the Guardian admitted it was fantasy. How bizarre that the former PM's first speech to the Commons was over this, rather than Libya, for example.

I'm sure it had nothing to do with The Sun's rejection of him at the last election..... :erm:

There are plenty of competitors and others who have nothing to lose, and everything to gain, be it revenge or market share, from the demise of the Murdoch Empire. It strikes me as incredibly naive to assume that they are all acting purely out of a sense of moral outrage. :doh::doh:
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by hackneyvi View Post
                          Meltdown? I don't believe it's any such thing.
                          Perhaps the metaphor should have been of dominoes falling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                            It didn't take long for Gordon Brown's pantomime tirade to be exposed as the nonsense it was- even the Guardian admitted it was fantasy.
                            Well, it was apparently the Guardian's 'fantasy' that Brown swallowed, and they were the ones who had to apologise to The Sun :sadface:

Comment

Deleted.

Too close to bedtime to be thinking about these beggars.

Sweet dreams. :hug:
                              Last edited by Guest; 17-07-11, 22:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X