Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hear and Now - Aldeburgh and Cheltenham Festival 2011 - 16th July 2011

Nice to hear that Charlottes pieces are getting a positive response
    i'll email her a link to this thread

hackneyvi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Nice to hear that Charlottes pieces are getting a positive response
    i'll email her a link to this thread
    Oh!, Mr G - as usual, Oddball got the music immediately but I've taken days to accustom myself to new pieces. I wonder if my earlier comments (or even the happier babble of the later one), are they necessarily what she might expect or want to see?

I think she will be delighted to hear that someone is paying so much attention

Quote Originally Posted by hackneyvi View Post
    Oh!, Mr G - as usual, Oddball got the music immediately
    Let's say I get the music immediately, but at a level I feel comfortable with, no doubt as a result of listening to Contemporary music for many years.

From your posts, you are giving music a very deep level of analysis, and so it does not surprise me it may take a time to embed in your psyche if, as I understand it, you are a relative newcomer to this type of music.

hackneyvi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Probably best to stick to noms de plume on these boards, nar mean?

S-A
    I understand you, SA.

hackneyvi Guest

Deleted.
    Last edited by hackneyvi; 22-07-11 at 17:47.

hackneyvi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    From your posts, you are giving music a very deep level of analysis, and so it does not surprise me it may take a time to embed in your psyche if, as I understand it, you are a relative newcomer to this type of music.
    I've made attempts to listen to contemporary music, on and off, for 20 years and more but, somehow, now, I can enjoy and want to hear the new. But I really can't analyse music, Ob, because I don't have the necessary experience or the tools from any substantial musical education.

I find that I reject almost every piece of contemporary music I hear because it's not the same as the last one that I liked (I am aware of the absurdity of this; it may be a family characteristic). Knowing this, I have to reject my own rejection. Then, just try to open my ears wide and let them catch something of the shape or the deduced intentions of the music, something of its substance.

I can listen without getting a numb bum or getting fidgety to pretty much any piece now. But actually hearing what's played can be hard, either parts or the whole.

If you don't have a musical attention and memory to therefore hold on to some of the music or some or your reactions to it as it pours past, it's like swimming or sitting at low eye-level in a fast, wide river; it's possible to have a sense of moving quickly and continuously through the same moment because you have little perspective on the change in position.
    Last edited by hackneyvi; 22-07-11 at 14:21.

Deleted.
    ditto

hackneyvi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    ditto
    Are you feeling self-conscious, too, SA. Now that I know the the composer might be reading, I can't work out what I feel.

Are you feeling self-conscious, too, SA. Now that I know the the composer might be reading, I can't work out what I feel.
    Sad thing is, the iPlayer of that particular H&N seems to have gone before I had the chance. Never mind, I'm sure I'll catch up on her in due course.

S-A