Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Albert Hall catering

The Royal Albert Hall has new caterers. The price of a cup of tea has rocketed. Last year it was £1.60 for a "tall" tea; that was the largest size tea available. This year it is £1.95 for a cup that is the size of the "large" from last year (i.e. medium sized). In my opinion that is exorbitant for a cup of hot water strained through a teabag and finished off with a splash of milk.

They've also started clamping down on the rules that do not allow you to eat your own food and drink your own liquids inside the hall. Yesterday, when going through the bag check, I was told I was not allowed to drink the water in the bottle that they saw in my bag. Unfortunately for them, that bottle of water had been bought from the refreshment desk inside door 12 at the Royal Albert Hall, so I should be allowed to drink it on the premises.

Jane

It is my understanding that on the First Night, several Prommers had items of food and/or drink 'confiscated' (stolen) from them. It was then disposed of as rubbish. A petition against these potentially illegal and medically dangerous actions by the Hall management has, I believe, been started. That said, on Sunday and Monday I took both food and drink, which I had purchased well away from the RAH, into the Arena, where I consumed it at my leisure (no, not during the performance) without any hassle from the staff there. Mind you, had any of them tried to 'confiscate' any such items from me, a loud shout of "thief", would have been heard.

Perhaps a mass eat and drink in could be organised by some of the regular Pommers?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Mind you, had any of them tried to 'confiscate' any such items from me, a loud shout of "thief", would have been heard.
      good for you
      now all we need is for the same shout to accompany the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber (allegedly ........ your honour )

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        good for you
        now all we need is for the same shout to accompany the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber (allegedly ........ your honour )

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Perhaps a mass eat and drink in could be organised by some of the regular Pommers?
          (Ignoring the typo) I really, really don't think that would be a good idea. There is no doubt that some of Rhubarb's prices are a lot higher - Mercier champagne is up by £10 a bottle over last year - and some of their other changes are not Prommer-friendly (e.g. the removal of the food servery from the Arena Foyer Bar). But mass disobedience is not the way forward here.

Comment

I really wouldn't buy food and drink from within the Albert Hall anyway, it is always been far too expensive: and the new regime seems to be even worse, although I haven't yet prommed at first hand this season. Easier to eat in the queue on the steps (the Sandwich Shop on the Gloucester Road is half price after 5pm), and if you want a quick drink there is always IC.

But the idea that arena promenaders are having their own food and drink confiscated on the door of the RAH is truly outrageous, especially when this includes bottled water: do they want somebody to collapse from the heat?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
              and some of their other changes are not Prommer-friendly (e.g. the removal of the food servery from the Arena Foyer Bar).
              Apparently there is a carvery at weekends in the Arena Foyer Bar; £12.50 for the main course & £17.50 if you have the Eton Mess as well (or should that be the eaten mess?).

Comment

At tonight's Prom my friend & I polished off a bottle of white from a thermos while we were seated in the interval and two charming women next to us likewise necked a thermos of gin & tonic

In the words of Mr Punch, 'That's the way to do it!'

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  At tonight's Prom my friend & I polished off a bottle of white from a thermos while we were seated in the interval and two charming women next to us likewise necked a thermos of gin & tonic

In the words of Mr Punch, 'That's the way to do it!'

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
                    (Ignoring the typo) I really, really don't think that would be a good idea. There is no doubt that some of Rhubarb's prices are a lot higher - Mercier champagne is up by £10 a bottle over last year - and some of their other changes are not Prommer-friendly (e.g. the removal of the food servery from the Arena Foyer Bar). But mass disobedience is not the way forward here.
                    Sorry (in a 'Schadenfreude' sort of way) to hear about the hike in the price of the Mercier. I've only ever paid more than £10 for a bottle of wine on one occasion in my life, and that was to accompany lunch on the occasion of our silver wedding anniversary. Otherwise, it's got to be more than 12% ABV and under £4.50 a bottle - and there's still some pretty satisfying stuff out there if you look out for special offers.

Comment

The Arena Bar has been conspicuously empty so far this season, as compared to the last few. I don't think mass disobedience is the answer either: just don't buy anything at the outlets and ask for a glass of tap water in the interval!

The prices charged for sandwiches start at £4 - more then than the costliest at Pret a Manger. One of the reasons is that as there is virtually nowhere else within 1/4 to 1/2 a mile of the RAH where anyone can purchase "picnic" style food and drink and 'Rhubarb' operates a virtual monopoly -there is IC bar but non regular Prommers wouldn't ordinarily know about it, or be able to use it, and the Queen's Arms. The Gloucester Road area is a fair old hike away which those less regular folk in seats would not want to do make.

It would be interesting nto know if the RAH staff are doing anything about audience members in other parts of the Hall who bring their own food. Wander round the stalls level corridor during the interval and many nights you will see homemade sandwiches etc being consumed. I would therefore assume it occurs all over the building. A question to the RAH "authorities" asking if they are treating the rest of the audience in the same manner as those in the Arena might be interesting and if not, why not?

This might all seem slightly petty to a lot of folk but being a regular Prommer since 1984 when the whole ethos of the place was akin to a former Eastern Bloc state to which at present we seem to be returning having enjoyed 15 years or so of warmer more sympathetic relations.

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Sullivan View Post
                        Apparently there is a carvery at weekends in the Arena Foyer Bar; £12.50 for the main course & £17.50 if you have the Eton Mess as well (or should that be the eaten mess?).
                        There wasn't last Sunday, presumably because the West Arena Foyer Bar was being used as a temporary changing room. Was there on Saturday?

Comment

In previous years in the gallery were the "picnics" of people's own food? Quite frankly the practicalities of what to eat make the Proms too much bother for me, the RAH being a bit isolated and if you're trying to get Promming tickets it's even more complicated.

Stopping people bringing in their own water is atrociously greedy. As if coughing fits aren't enough! What's next, charging for the toilets?

Comment

Originally posted by somename View Post
                            In previous years in the gallery were the "picnics" of people's own food? Quite frankly the practicalities of what to eat make the Proms too much bother for me, the RAH being a bit isolated and if you're trying to get Promming tickets it's even more complicated.

Stopping people bringing in their own water is atrociously greedy. As if coughing fits aren't enough! What's next, charging for the toilets?
                            Once the franchising deal with Ryanair has been signed off - yes!

Comment

Whilst queuing for last night's Prom I wandered up to get a programme from the new Box Office nearby. I asked for an ordinary 500 ml bottle of Coke and was told it was £2.80. Usually less than a pound elsewhere I told them to forget it and went to the teashop behind the Albert Memorial. Disgraceful.

People were eating and drinking in the arena. One surprise, I was allowed to take in my brolly this year: usually I have to deposit it. It is useful to lean on in my dotage. There was a time when you saw people with shooting sticks.

Comment

Working...
                              X