Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone have trouble with the bag check tonight?

Unfortunately, I'd just purchased a wonderful little bottle of super-sweet Tokaji and had it with me...I didn't even plan on drinking it tonight, but picked it up the minute I saw it at a shop because it was so unusual. (Not cheap, and definitely more than I've ever paid for a half-bottle.) If somebody dared to try to take it from me, I was fully prepared to miss the concert, demand to speak to the house manager immediately, and throw such a gargantuan, monstrous, fur-flying hissy fit that even Philip Trueman would have told me to get a grip and calm down.

Thankfully, my handbag was large enough to bury it under several layers of stuff (books, papers, camera, phone, umbrella, hat, etc.) I said a quick prayer (should have been to Dionysus, ha!) and hoped for the best. Here's how I did it: when I came up to the bag check lady, I opened it wide, "helpfully" removed the top couple of items for her-- and as she was rooting around, I pushed the bottle deeper and back towards me as I lifted out more stuff. Never saw a thing! I kept it wrapped up and that was that.

Close call...it wouldn't have been pretty!

Comment

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
      Did anyone have trouble with the bag check tonight?

Unfortunately, I'd just purchased a wonderful little bottle of super-sweet Tokaji and had it with me...I didn't even plan on drinking it tonight, but picked it up the minute I saw it at a shop because it was so unusual. (Not cheap, and definitely more than I've ever paid for a half-bottle.) If somebody dared to try to take it from me, I was fully prepared to miss the concert, demand to speak to the house manager immediately, and throw such a gargantuan, monstrous, fur-flying hissy fit that even Philip Trueman would have told me to get a grip and calm down.

Thankfully, my handbag was large enough to bury it under several layers of stuff (books, papers, camera, phone, umbrella, hat, etc.) I said a quick prayer (should have been to Dionysus, ha!) and hoped for the best. Here's how I did it: when I came up to the bag check lady, I opened it wide, "helpfully" removed the top couple of items for her-- and as she was rooting around, I pushed the bottle deeper and back towards me as I lifted out more stuff. Never saw a thing! I kept it wrapped up and that was that.

Close call...it wouldn't have been pretty!
      Nice one cavatina!

What's your choice of food to accompany your bottle of delight, or do you neck it by itself?

Comment

... throw such a gargantuan, monstrous, fur-flying hissy fit that even Philip Trueman would have told me to get a grip and calm down.
        As it happens, I wouldn't've seen it anyway. Last night I was at Rusalka at Glyndebourne, where the attitude towards the audience bringing their own food and drink is far more civilised.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Nice one cavatina! What's your choice of food to accompany your bottle of delight, or do you neck it by itself?
          Caramel crème brulée. Haven't made it yet, but I'm going to save up my calories for the whole day, pick an appropriate concert, and enjoy the hell out of myself! Of course, I instantly remembered Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau singing the Schubert lied Lob des Tokayers..."O köstlicher Tokayer, o königlicher Wein"...ha!

Did you know that tokaji has its own sweetness rating system?

Puttonyos is the name given to denote the level of sugar and hence the sweetness of Hungarian dessert wine, called Tokaji (or tokay). It is traditionally measured by the number of hods of sweet botrytised or nobly rotted grapes (known as Aszú) added to a barrel of wine, but is now measured in grams of residual sugar. The Puttonyos was actually the 25 kg basket or hod of Aszu grapes, and the more added to the barrel of wine, the sweeter the eventual wine. Measurement goes from 3 to 6 Puttonyos. A Tokaji made entirely from Aszu grapes is known as Aszu Eszencia.

[edit] Residual sugar levels (grams per litre):
          3 Puttonyos - 60
          4 Puttonyos - 90
          5 Puttonyos - 120
          6 Puttonyos - 150
          Aszu Eszencia - 180
          I didn't get this one (I wish!!) but check out this Robert Parker review:

Oh. My. God. Those are the three words you will utter as this ultra-gloopy nectar seems to stick itself to the sides of your glass. Coming in at a…drum-roll please…2.1% ABV, it has a sensational bouquet that is so pure and visceral with orange liqueur, white flowers, passion fruit, marmalade, quince jus and apricots, then in the background…warm gingerbread! The palate is fat, viscous, thick and syrupy, struck through with razor-sharp acidity that makes this super-rare Essencia the real deal. It will
          outlast you and I, trust me. Brilliant. 2,050 375mls bottled in September 2007. Drink now-3000.
          Tasted October 2009. 100 points
          Yep... I definitely know how to keep myself entertained. Back on topic-- sorry! I do get a little carried away, don't I.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-11, 12:06.

Comment

BAG CHECK INFO UPDATE:

Today I was ridiculously, embarrassingly late to the Arena season queue (for normal people who need a translation, I got there a little before 4pm ) and hadn't had time to drop off a half-bottle of Sauternes I picked up this afternoon. Not expensive in the absolute sense, but good quality and more that I paid for the Tokaji...I definitely would have been defecating bricks if someone tried to confiscate it.

Rather than risk an incident, I solved the problem by preemptively asking a 'Coat what I should do with it if there were a bag check tonight. She told me I could either "promise them I wouldn't drink it in the Hall", or check it in the coatroom. She also informed me, quote, "they're just looking for picnics." Well, now we know. There wasn't a bag check tonight in any event, but at least I won't have to worry about it anymore.

It's still annoying since I don't know which day I can bring my OTT desserts and do up my little mini-Lucullan feast in the grand manner. It would be such a drag to go through all the trouble and not be able to enjoy it in the Hall...somehow, that's part of the point. Now all I have to do is figure out which concert goes with which wine and hope for the best.

Speaking of Sauternes, did you know they're still drinkable after 148 years? More Robert Parker on another perfect 100/100:

1847 Chateau d'Yquem, 1er cru superieur, Sauternes

The 1847 Yquem would have received more than 100 points if possible. The wine is huge and massive, with a surprisingly youthful color, remarkable honeyed and botrytised flavors, staggering richness, and a finish that lasted 40+ seconds. The question that must be asked is whether the great modern day Yquem vintages will last as long? I say, yes, though I doubt any of my readers will live long enough to find out what the 1975, 1976, 1983, 1986, or 1989 will taste like at age 148! 100/100

Comment

Speaking of Sauternes, did you know they're still drinkable after 148 years? More Robert Parker on another perfect 100/100:
              Yes, but by that time they rather resemble a urine sample from someone suffering with flu

Comment

If the bag cheack are to find picnics they have failed 100% with me, mind you my cool box doesn't look unlike a washbag! Usually whomever carries out the checks just peers in (4 of them on the Fisrt Night) and occasionally a rummage will occur. One wonders how the RAH Security Policy involves searching for food: are they worried about explosive devices; knives; recording equipment etc??!! In any event eating in the Bull Run below the Area is now accepted, well sometimes anyway...

Incidentally, for those who are aware of the Bull Run,no one is now allowed to sit down in the corridor but folk are allowed to sit on the stairs at each end and between the 2 bar areas which completely argues against what the Blue Coats were saying earlier in the season who stated the stairs were a Fire Exit and following Council inspections people were not allowed to sit on them for Health and Safety reasons! That is what occured on the Bolivar evening anyway...

I can't imagine why but the words brewery and P***-*p come to mind.

Comment

Yes, but by that time they rather resemble a urine sample from someone suffering with flu
                  Hm, can't say I've ever had the privilege of that particular libation crossing my palate...I would enquire further, but know we better drop it. Like, yesterday.

Originally posted by NickWraight View Post
                  If the bag cheack are to find picnics they have failed 100% with me, mind you my cool box doesn't look unlike a washbag!
                  I suppose clever covert containers ought to do it, then. Sandwich in a lightbulb box? etc. All ideas welcome!

Comment

I suppose clever covert containers ought to do it, then. Sandwich in a lightbulb box? etc. All ideas welcome!
                    I do not see that we should be breaking the rules, however ingeniously. One scheme that should be put to the test is to bring in an empty water bottle, with the intention of filling it from a drinking water tap inside. The RAH will be on very shaky ground if they try to prevent that.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
                      bring in an empty water bottle
                      ...... explaining that you have to provide a sample at a specific time - probably during that particularly quiet passage in the second movement of the concerto.

Comment

I do not see that we should be breaking the rules, however ingeniously.
                        When Rhubarb starts selling the quality of wine I'm bringing, I'll be more than happy to buy it from them.

Comment

Has the serving of a weekend roast in the Arena Foyer bar been quietly dropped? I didn't see it last night. I just got to the Elgar Room in time, and I had the roast lamb there (not too bad, but the meat was very dry).

Comment

Go veggie! At 65 it's kept me going 20 years!

(Famous last words)

Comment

Working...
                            X