Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New time for Jazz Library

Roger Wright: "Our refreshed schedule introduces two new programmes which add to the richness of Radio 3's classical music output whilst also providing a home for Jazz and World Music. Jazz Record Requests remains at the heart of Saturday's schedule with our other Jazz programmes in regular weekly slots. We look forward to the autumn and our continued support of the London Jazz Festival as well as of the young artists coming through our World Routes Academy and New Generation Jazz Artist scheme."

Big news then is that there's no change for JRR. Minor news is that Jazz Library moves to midnight:

Jazz Record Requests remains at the same time of 5pm on Saturday afternoon while, from Saturday 17 September, Jazz Library moves to 12midnight. Jazz Line Up moves earlier to 11pm on Sunday evenings and Jazz On 3 remains at 11pm on Monday evenings.

Radio 3's jazz offering is further enhanced through the addition of the Jazz Library podcasts which are now available in perpetuity on the Radio 3 website along with associated articles and artist profiles.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

well it would just be moved to the grave yard slot wouldn't it ..... i listen again these days so it will not bother me much in terms of convenience but RW has been no friend to jazz on R3 ... it mustn't deliver too many listeners ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Jazz once again sidelined to the Graveyard Shift, and Podcasts are all well and good if you happen to have a Pod to cast them onto to. Thank goodness for iplayer. JRR is far too popular a programme for them to mess around with thank goodness.

Comment

Midnight Hour Blues
        By Leroy Carr

"In the wee midnight hour, long before the break of day
        In the wee midnight hour, long before the break of day
        When the blues creep up on you and carry your mind away"

YOUR BBC - We love jazz SO much we hide it away.

BN.

Comment

RW hates jazz
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            Well, you'll be allowed to tell him what you think - just as soon as comments are possible on the R3 blog - which they aren't at present ...

I drew attention to the fault last night and had an acknowledgement at 22.08.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

.....and World Routes to Sunday night so that all world music is on late at night. The Sunday night slot actually suits me personally - I think AK was there - but as with the jazz it represents a slight stepping back from the commitment.

What I don't see is the reasoning - to improve listening figures for these programmes, because he has been told that no one wants to hear classical music just before bedtime, or because he just feels like doing it?

Comment

....I would also add that as someone who at most dips into jazz, I find the two Saturday programmes the most accessible of the four. Of those, the one I probably find the most interesting has been moved to Midnight. Don't know if I am typical but if so they could be losing a percentage of the crossover audience with that change.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                  What I don't see is the reasoning - to improve listening figures for these programmes, because he has been told that no one wants to hear classical music just before bedtime, or because he just feels like doing it?
                  As far as jazz is concerned, it represents a complete retreat from what was being tried a decade ago ('the Jazz Zone'): Jazz Legends at 4pm on Fridays, JLU at 4pm on Sat, JRR 5pm on Sat, Jazz File 6-6.30 on Sat, and only Jon3 late night.

With Jazz Library permanently at midnight, there will be no extra hour for a repeat (unless they find an alternative slot for it). Now, one programme fewer (with the axeing of Jazz File) and everything pushed up to late night except the sacred JRR.

Why? For marketing reasons, no doubt, since the idea that jazz fans might actually want to hear programmes at an earlier than graveyard hour counts for nothing. Prejudging , the new Saturday afternoon classical programme from 3-5 looks like junk to attract the Classic FM market. Of course, I could be wrong ...

Comment

...has RW had lunch with Murdoch or NI execs lately?

Comment

I am very disappointed to hear this although I sometimes struggle to catch JL live as it clashes with football. Since I seem to catch the programme more often on "Listen Again" it isn't as catastrophic as it could have been but it does seem to be demonstrative of Radio 3's failure to take jazz seriously. It is better to catch the programme live and must admit that it is something I like to listen to whenever I have to take work home over the weekend.

Comment

Once this goes through, it means that only one hour of Radio Three's five and a half hours of regular jazz broadcasting will be on before 11 at night.

I particularly detest the marketing speak surrounding the move.
                        Radio 3's jazz offering is further enhanced through the addition of the Jazz Library podcasts
                        Would someone from the BBC like to explain what exactly the previous enhancement was? Simply shifting the times of the programmes isn't in itself an enhancement, it's merely a change. And to me, moving the best jazz programme on Radio Three to a ridiculously late time means it's a change for the worse.

Comment

Seems like we'll have to wait till the midnight hour, but we could always Pickett

I'll get me coat!

Shame that one of the best programmes on R3, not just the jazz ones, is on so late.

Comment

Roger Wright's blog doesn't actually mention the changes to the jazz programmes but that needn't stop you commenting about them.

Although the fact that the link to the comments page isn't working is a bit of a bummer. I've sent in two complaints about it.

Comment

how convenient .... i think we should all write to Ken Clarke [c/o House of Commons] and urge him to protest the move with his chum Chris ..... and direct to Lord Patten too [c/o House of Lords] ... it is pointless arguing with Wright, he is a Thompson placeman and it will not change until Thompson goes

Comment

Working...
                              X