Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

The removal of "Jazz Library" to a graveyard slot is outrageous. This is the one programme which serves to consider jazz with the respect and critical appraisal that the music deserves and was one of the two programmes that were "practical" listens insofar that you didn't need to switch the computer on to listen to it (albeit "Listen Again" is beneficial during the football season) and you could also listen to it in the car.

I think the programme is changing insofar that the apparent demise of CD's is changing the way people listen to music and I think attempts are made to take this into consideration. However, I feel that rather that shunting the programme to a later hour it would benefit from being expanded. The recent Jo Jones was an excellent case in point with studio demonstrations that showed you the essence of someone's style. I find this kind of format to be hugely compelling. As opposed to being a programme where the career of a musician is explored by either a combination of invited opinion, interviews with the subject of the programme and an overview of what records are available, I have always felt that there should be a follow up programme of about 30 mins duration whereby the chosen record is analysed from a musical theory point of view to explain to the lay listener what is exactly going on. As opposed to treating jazz in this fashion, I think the coverage of this idiom should be accorded more time for serious appreciation.

I'm not sure about Jazzrook's comments about selecting "more challanging" subjects. I actually prefer the variety and the appeal for me is very much being introduced to music about which I had been unfamiliar or not properly appreciated.

Comment

Vaguely interesting historical footnote (or perhaps not): Jenny Abramsky who became Director of Radio and Music in 1999, a couple of months after RW arrived at R3, ordered a review of BBC radio's jazz provision and it was shortly after that that the profile of jazz on R3 was substantially raised. Abramsky finally retired in 2008.

Incidentally, on Monday (with the departure of A.Parfitt) RW will officially become - by a very long margin - the current longest serving BBC Radio controller. And, if he hasn't already, by the end of the year he'll become the longest-serving controller ever of the Third/Radio 3. Ironic, isn't it
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

thank you ff
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Roger the Dodger

Comment

#35 is not an injunction, btw

Comment

Working...
              X