No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    Excellent posting, S-A
    That's very kind, Roehr. That I have special feelings for Frank Bridge's music must be pretty obvious! Thanks.

Comment

Excellent posting, S-A
      It certainly is! Thank you, S_A. There's plenty for me to consider there.

Comment

Excellent posting, S-A
        WOW what a great post.I love reading some of the stuff you guys put on here it's an education (who needs music books ?)
        I do love Bridge's music too.

Comment

Resuscitating this old thread I have a limited acquaintance with his music but I do find what I have heard compelling . His Oration for example strikes me as a very fine and intensely moving work . An old HMV Greensleeves record with Charles Groves conducting I still treasure for its The Sea and Enter Spring .

Any other recommended works and recordings ?

Comment

There is a Willow Grows Aslant a Brook is a haunting tone poem of nine minutes duration. A poignant oboe theme woven to a backdrop of harp glissandi cloaks the plunge of the stricken maiden in starkly memorable garb. A sombre cello solo section leads a ghostly cortege, before the piece returns to silence.

Bournemouth Sinfonietta/ Norman del Mar on Chandos.
            Last edited by Sir Velo; 22-02-14, 15:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              There is a Willow Grows Aslant a Brook is a haunting tone poem of nine minutes duration. A poignant oboe theme woven to a backdrop of harp glissandi cloaks the plunge of the stricken maiden in starkly memorable garb. A sombre cello solo section leads a ghostly cortege, before the piece returns to silence. A nice depiction of the human collateral of others' egoistical drivings.

Bournemouth Sinfonietta/ Norman del Mar on Chandos.
              Thanks Sir Velo with del Mar conducting it sounds well worth investigating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                There is a Willow Grows Aslant a Brook is a haunting tone poem of nine minutes duration. A poignant oboe theme woven to a backdrop of harp glissandi cloaks the plunge of the stricken maiden in starkly memorable garb. A sombre cello solo section leads a ghostly cortege, before the piece returns to silence. A nice depiction of the human collateral of others' egoistical drivings.
                Whereas to me it always conjures up the flatlands of the Thames estuary on a dull, windless November day.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  Resuscitating this old thread I have a limited acquaintance with his music but I do find what I have heard compelling . His Oration for example strikes me as a very fine and intensely moving work . An old HMV Greensleeves record with Charles Groves conducting I still treasure for its The Sea and Enter Spring .

Any other recommended works and recordings ?
                  This http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridge-Orche...=bridge+hickox will give you all Bridge's orchestral, concertante and vocal/orchestral music, or very near it. Something of a bargain, and - hurrah! - it seems to reproduce all the notes and sung texts from the single-disc issues.
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                  X