1.8.2011 - Frank Bridge [REPEAT]

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.8.2011 - Frank Bridge [REPEAT]

1/5. Donald Macleod is joined by Paul Hindmarsh to discuss Bridge's early musical inspiration.
    2/5. Bridge's relationship with pupil Benjamin Britten.
    3/5. The impact of the First World War on Bridge's work.
    4/5. How competitions and philanthropists helped Bridge's ambitions.
    5/5. Bridge finds himself increasingly at odds with his audience as he searches for a distinctive voice
    Last edited by french frank; 28-07-11, 20:46. Reason: Update
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    1/5. Donald Macleod is joined by Paul Hindmarsh to discuss Bridge's early musical inspiration.
    2/5. Bridge's relationship with pupil Benjamin Britten.
    3/5. The impact of the First World War on Bridge's work.
    4/5. tbc
    5/5. tbc
    Programme 5 has his second piano trio - one of his finest works and one of the great piano trios of its time and beyond in both directions...

Comment

Thanks - I've temporarily linked to the 2007 broadcast page which has the programme playlist.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Programme 5 has his second piano trio - one of his finest works and one of the great piano trios of its time and beyond in both directions...
        Iirc this is in a beautifully played but rather badly recorded version, and the commentator remarked that no CD of the work had yet been made. A crying shame, imv.

This was a very good COTW, which included a number of early orchestral songs, 1 or 2 of them almost Mahlerian in style. A pity the fourth quartet of 1938 - one of the finest of the genre in English music - was not included. The Magginis' recording is imv the best.

S-A

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          no CD of the work had yet been made.
          there seem to be several available now (e.g. on Amazon)
          the BBC Legends one looks interesting
          Last edited by mercia; 29-07-11, 06:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Iirc this is in a beautifully played but rather badly recorded version, and the commentator remarked that no CD of the work had yet been made. A crying shame, imv.
            I've got the 2nd trio now for more than 20 years in my collection on Chandos (combined with Bax), and since early 1990s too on Hyperion (with other music for piano trio of Bridge's).

Comment

Many thanks, mercia and Roehr.

Comment

I heard the programme that was on Monday. They had, wasnt it 2nd St Qt? Quite a fascinating piece. Bridge sholdmbe better known like Goossen's music.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  I heard the programme that was on Monday. They had, wasnt it 2nd St Qt? Quite a fascinating piece. Bridge sholdmbe better known like Goossen's music.
                  Immediately agreed, though I personally prefer SQs 3 and 4 (more forward looking than 2).
                  But all 4 Bridge string quartets should be heard more than is the case at the present IMO

Comment

I've already said this on the What are you listening to now? thread, but I do wish they would get their facts right. Britten wasn't fourteen when he heard Bridge's The Sea in 1924. He was ten. There were very few chances for the child to hear a full orchestra - in fact he may never have heard one before - and he was 'knocked sideways', as he said later.

I don't know quite what to make of Bridge's music. It doesn't seem to have a factor that makes me say, 'That's Bridge', yet I can't see why it's less well known than, say, RVW. Is it this lack of a unifying factor, or just bad luck and chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                      I've already said this on the What are you listening to now? thread, but I do wish they would get their facts right. Britten wasn't fourteen when he heard Bridge's The Sea in 1924. He was ten. There were very few chances for the child to hear a full orchestra - in fact he may never have heard one before - and he was 'knocked sideways', as he said later.

I don't know quite what to make of Bridge's music. It doesn't seem to have a factor that makes me say, 'That's Bridge', yet I can't see why it's less well known than, say, RVW. Is it this lack of a unifying factor, or just bad luck and chance?
                      Back in the 1950s, Bridge was bracketed by the then musical commentariat with British composers deemed stuck in late 19th century styles - Holbrooke, Bantock, Smythe a.o including Havergal Brian. I think I'm right in thinking Britten's performance of "Enter Spring" at the 1967 Aldeburgh Festival played a large part in getting Bridge reassessed and rehabilitated in terms of his neglected work from the Piano Sonata of 1924 onwards. That fine work - comparable in stature to Bax's 2nd imv but pushing their harmonic universe further out - shocked Bridge's contemporaries and followers and led to marginalisation in the conservative British musical establishment of the 1920s, and Bridge was reduced to having to hustle for conducting work, which had helped keep the wolf at bay. Somehow the composer's close kinship with composers such as Ireland and Bax during the previous decade got forgotten.

I possess reel-to-reels of broadcasts from that same year of his Piano and Violin Sonata of 1932 and the delightful Divertimenti for wind quintet of 1938; but I don't think it was until the 1980s that the rich vein of his entire creative output was really brought to public attention - by which time Anthony Payne had become a leading champion. Following on from folk music and Renaissance church music Ravel and Stravinsky were the main radicalising influences on British composers in the 1920s - all of these influences touched Bridge; but it was Bartok and the Second Viennese School that showed Bridge the possibility of progressing the chromatic harmonic world shared with "pastoralists" such as Bax towards atonality. This was Bridge's distinguishing characteristic, Mary. Bridge by nature, Bridge by name.

S-A

Comment

Thank you, Serial_Apologist. That's very interesting. If I knew more of Bridge's music - I don't know much - would I then be able to find the fingerprint that would enable me to recognise pieces by him I didn't know? I have the same problem with Holst, whereas RVW or Britten are always instantly recognisable.

Comment

Thank you, Serial_Apologist. That's very interesting. If I knew more of Bridge's music - I don't know much - would I then be able to find the fingerprint that would enable me to recognise pieces by him I didn't know? I have the same problem with Holst, whereas RVW or Britten are always instantly recognisable.
                          Holst had come to my mind earlier as another fine composer whose musical personality is not immediately recognisable. Another such composer is Roussel. I suspect that what all three composers had in common was a restless, exploratory streak that meant that those recurrent traits of harmony, melody and texture that imbue the work of RVW, Elgar, Britten and even (arguably) less significant figures - Delius, Warlock, Ireland, for example - simply didn't have time to get bedded down before their composers moved on to some new approach to composition. Sometimes what connects the work of these mysteriously 'anonymous' composers is not so much what the music sounds like as how it behaves under the surface.

Comment

That is a very difficult question to answer, Mary, calling into question as it does anybody's ability to recognise a particular composer by style. I always confuse works by Haydn and Mozart that I haven't heard before.

If I were to say that Bridge's later music, from the Piano Sonata onwards, makes a very personal use of bitonality, that might elicit misconstrued comparisons with, say, Koechlin, Himdemith or Milhaud. Many 20th century composers used bitonality and polytonality among other extended compositional techniques as alternatives to the atonality of the Second Viennese School, those following in its 12-tone serial wake, and, say, Varese. With almost all of them while one may find several keys being superimposed or combined simultaneously, there is usually one detectable main key underpinning the musical process in any given passage, and one can usually hear primary modulations going on under the surface that maintain a sense of musical direction in the manner of conventional tonal music, if not actually using conventional forms, eg sonata. This is, people will dispute, a generalisation: one would be hard-put to determine in which "key" the opening movement of Hindemith's 3rd string quartet of 1922 is written, with it's polytonal canonic opening movement. But bitonality in the mature Bridge's case really does serve to break down one's sense of tonal groundedness; it does not result in total atonality - though it comes very close in the second movement of the Fourth String Quartet of 1937/8 - but one senses atonality as a very powerful possible next step. As in the case of several of Bridge's mature comopositions, his characteristic tonal ambiguity serves well to express his uncertainties about so much that had dissolved the illusory feeling of security permeating his and so many other English composers' work pre WW1: Bridge's "Summer" of 1914 was in many ways his own "Lark Ascending"; or maybe a better analogy would be Delius's "In a Summer Garden". It was that Delian/Baxian harmony in the arcadian "Summer" that was to go sour, so to speak; but Bridge didn't eliminate its spirit entirely from is music, and it invests "Enter Spring" with a fantastic, organically expansive euphoria at once ultra-perfumed and teetering on a knife-edge with chaos. The ultra-chromaticism of later Bridge also lends to greater expansiveness in terms of organic development - which he had already demontrated in earlier pieces.

I hope you'll get a chanced to hear this remarkable work on next Tuesday's prom, Mary. Having heard several disappointing performances, due to slow pacing, I hope the conductor takes account of britten's zestful 1967 Aldeburgh performance.

To conclude, Bridge did "return" to tonality in late works such as the Divertimenti for Wind Quintet, the overture "Rebus", already heard at the Proms, and the terrifying Adagio for strings for a projected but, tragically, never completed symphony, of 1940. My guess is that this latter was a work of total despair, which would have been costly in terms of the effort to put it down: there is none of the Ireland-like urbanity of "Rebus", nor of its sense of a stylistic summation, but rather of Sysyphus and the boulder.

S-A

Comment

Excellent posting, S-A

Comment

Working...
                              X