Prom 30/7/11 - CBSO/Nelsons-Midori

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 30/7/11 - CBSO/Nelsons-Midori

Caught this on BBC2 last night and thought it was a very good Prom. Midori played the Walton very well to my ears and Nelsons brought out some of the details in the orchestration I had not noticed before . The Prokofiev was rousing too and well sung I thought too.

Any other views ?

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    . . . Any other views ?
    Yes, plenty.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Caught this on BBC2 last night and thought it was a very good Prom. Midori played the Walton very well to my ears and Nelsons brought out some of the details in the orchestration I had not noticed before . The Prokofiev was rousing too and well sung I thought too.

Any other views ?
      Well ... in the words of Helen Reddy: 'it's you and me against the world'. Her performance has produced a positive (or do I mean negative?) torrent of scorn and opprobrium from most contributors to the existing thread devoted to this concert. I'm still not sure why this should be...

Comment

Well it was certainly different.

Comment

Midori

I did hear this concert on TV tonight, on play it again. I was interested because Ferret and others had been pretty critical of her playing, and I was out at a "musical" last night (don't ask) and missed it.

It was interesting to hear this concerto, and I have to say it was not very good.

I admire her ability to perform this work from memory, but I had huge problems with her sound, which was I think produced in a very surface way, and not into the string. Maybe her fiddle's lousy as well, as it's a Guanarius Del Jesu ...

I think the problem is twofold. A very tense vibrato in the left hand, and a very inflexible and tense right hand bow hold. This resulted in poor contact with the strings, and a weak sound.

I also felt, I'm sorry to say, that she misunderstood the music. Flying around the instrument in a very surface sort of way and not recognising the harmonic meaning really does not make much sense of the musical line, and made the concerto sound, well, uninteresting.

I do have the Heifetz recording and his incredibly dazzling technique is never used at the expense of the musical line. But who am I to say, I've never played this concerto so I'm really speaking without too much insight.

Comment

I find myself concurring with your fifth and sixth paragraphs there, aka. I'll take paragraphs three and four on trust.

Comment

Working...
            X