Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prom 40: Saturday 13th August 2011 at 7.30 p.m. (Comedy Prom)

This is one Prom I be avoiding!
    Music is in the air all around you. You just take of it as much as you want(Sir Edward Elgar)

You can watch the NYO Prom from last Saturday over on BBC2 at 9pm if you suffer from Prom withdrawal symptoms.
    “Every piece of music is a rehearsal of one’s life,” - Sir Colin Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    This is one Prom I be avoiding!
    that makes two of us. Time for a

I went to one of the Hoffnung concerts, saw Flanders and Swann's and Joyce Grenfell's London stage shows and they were all very funny and still are to me. Only Victor Borge failed to make me laugh with his laboured antics.

I hope tonight is successful but wouldn't want to attend. Why not play some of Malcolm Arnold and other light hearted pieces, why these so-called comedians?

Quote Originally Posted by doversoul View Post
    Musical jokes are funny but making fun of music is not a joke. From the trailer I have been hearing plus the idea Radio3 seems to have about audience these days, I get an impression that this prom is the latter.
    That's why that Christmas comedy quiz was so dire. A comedian asking four other comedians questions about music and the arts. And the basic joke was that none of them knew any of the answers so they cracked jokes instead. Laboured, unfunny ones. Hope tonight's Prom is clever and witty.

making fun of music is not a joke
    I thought Anna Russell making fun of Wagner was funny

There's no lack of possible material for a program, even a Prom if we must, of music and laughter. We'll see.

I do notice that the BBC isn't televising this one immediately (if at all) - lack of confidence in what they probably call the "concept"?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    I do notice that the BBC isn't televising this one immediately (if at all) - lack of confidence in what they probably call the "concept"?
    Nothing wrong with the 'concept' - apparently - it will be broadcast at 9pm, BBC Two, 27 August

Quote Originally Posted by french frank View Post
    ........ Hope tonight's Prom is clever and witty.
    Well, it didn't seem to be by 8pm, or I've just aged hugely, so I turned it off.

Part one was a bit iffy for half an hour but Kit and the Widow rescued it with the songs about Andrew Lloyd-Webber and Stephen Sondheim (the first very barbed and sung by Kit Hesketh-Harvey and the second more affectionate sung by Susan Bullock). "Puccini in Punjabi" (a piece of Curryoke or Kareoke, geddit) worked because it continued on the laughter which had begun before and involved the audience in LNOTPs style.