Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pilamenon View Post
    Listened to snatches in the car, and found it hard to take, mainly because it just seemed so dated. Scratching was good fun back in the 80s when it was relatively new. If I want to hear it now, I'd rather go back to Grandmaster Flash and crew. Anyway, will give this another go on the i-player to see if I can get more out of it, like cavatina.
    I too heard it in the car, and thought it decidedly MOTR.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Anyone able to give some idea (or even a lot of idea) of the techniques of virtuoso turntable playing?
      ff
      in the old place quite a few of us helped you to buy and set up a turntable set up - or at least we gave you some advice about possibilities.

Please do NOT practice the techniques for the Prokofiev concerto on that set up. If you MUST, then buy an old turntable from a car boot sale, and use old LPs (unwanted!) from charity shops!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        in the old place quite a few of us helped you to buy and set up a turntable set up - or at least we gave you some advice about possibilities.

Please do NOT practice the techniques for the Prokofiev concerto on that set up. If you MUST, then buy an old turntable from a car boot sale, and use old LPs (unwanted!) from charity shops!
        Indeed you did! And I wouldn't dream of putting it to such a use. I'm still astonished that the nondescript piece of rubber band stretched round the turntable regulates the speed so efficiently.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I too heard it in the car, and thought it decidedly MOTR.
          If Norrington had conducted, would he have asked the DJ to play the turntables without vibrato?
          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
            If Norrington had conducted, would he have asked the DJ to play the turntables without vibrato?
            Or, as Miles Davis's trumpet teacher advised him: "Don't use vibrato. You got plenty time to shake when you get old"

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Anyone able to give some idea (or even a lot of idea) of the techniques of virtuoso turntable playing?
              Surely you have to start from scratch! (I've already got my coat)

Comment

Working...
              X