Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, the principal purposes of the fountain are (1) cooling the surrounding air (2) providing a breathing space in the middle of a crowded arena and (3) adding moisture to the air which aids the voices of singers.
    Have you heard from any soloists or choristers that they're having a harder time of it this year? Surely now that the RAH is equipped with a modern air conditioning and ventilation system, this poses far less of a problem than it would have in the old days. If so, it only stands to reason that in the 21st century, there are far more efficient technologies available to introduce controlled humidity into a large concert space.

I always wanted to bring a pair of wellingtons and stand in the fountain during a concert ! now i never will be able to do that.
    Well, there's lots of things I wish I could do during a concert that I never will--but if I know what's good for me, I'll give talking about it a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
      modern air conditioning and ventilation system,
      *chortles*

Women to me last night whilst I stood at door 4: "Boy, it was roasting in there".

Comment

The hall has air-cooling, not full air-conditioning

Comment

Surely now that the RAH is equipped with a modern air conditioning and ventilation system, this poses far less of a problem than it would have in the old days. If so, it only stands to reason that in the 21st century, there are far more efficient technologies available to introduce controlled humidity into a large concert space.
          I don't think that's quite right, cavatina. The current system may be modern but it is far from state-of-the-art. We were told before it was installed that technically it was not 'air-conditioning', only 'forced air cooling', because there would be no humidity control, although it's fair to say there have been conflicting reports on this, and some suggestion that the original installation was modified in the light of early experience. The current fashion is to have an individual outlet under each seat (as at Glyndebourne and Cadogan Hall). That delivers the air precisely where it's needed and gives a large cross-sectional area and so a low (and therefore quiet) air velocity for the required flow rate (although I understand they still have to turn it off at Cadogan Hall during the performance), but there was no way they could have done that at the RAH.

Comment

Have you heard from any soloists or choristers that they're having a harder time of it this year?
            Equally important, have any of them been asked, as far as anyone knows?

The remaining question seems to be: does the existing "air-cooling system" serve to offer the level of air humidification allegedly offered by the fountain?

S-A

Comment

Back to the subject of the 20 minute rule, and with a serious risk of getting booted off the forum as a result of my very first post (which I am trying to word carefully ...).

Would forum members agree that it's nice to catch a breath of fresh air during the interval? Especially if it's a Prom where the second half is the most attractive part of the concert? Just remember to keep your season ticket with you so that you can show it on re-admission.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee McLernon View Post
                *chortles*
                Women to me last night whilst I stood at door 4: "Boy, it was roasting in there".
                Really? Well, you're usually a few spots back from my customary place-- do you get cold, or is it just me? Half the time I'm shivering and freezing to death... Maybe it's just my low blood pressure/empty stomach/adrenaline rush/bare legs etc.

Equally important, have any of them been asked, as far as anyone knows?
                Some afternoon on the steps, I'll ask them if anyone bothered. Most of the singers I know don't have any problem piping up when humidity is an issue... Now that I think of it, I know one tenor who demands that the air conditioning be turned off before his recitals because it dries out his voice; built-in humidity control isn't necessarily part of the bargain. Ah well, easy enough to find out.

In any event, all the people I've heard complaining about the fountain were miffed about the lack of seating, disrespect to "tradition" and/or the giant logo on the floor. Somehow, humidity never came up.
                Last edited by Guest; 15-08-11, 22:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Seedy Revue View Post
                  Back to the subject of the 20 minute rule, and with a serious risk of getting booted off the forum as a result of my very first post (which I am trying to word carefully ...).

Would forum members agree that it's nice to catch a breath of fresh air during the interval? Especially if it's a Prom where the second half is the most attractive part of the concert? Just remember to keep your season ticket with you so that you can show it on re-admission.
                  Welcome! Hope you're enjoying the season.

Personally, I stay in the hall since I'm too afraid of getting back late. I'm a horrible judge of time, and live by the "five minute, three minute, one minute" warnings. It is nice to roam around, though... today, I did a few semicircular laps in the gallery and flew down the staircases just to get rid of the nervous energy. That's okay; I always have plenty to spare.

Comment

Really? Well, you're usually a few spots back from my customary place-- do you get cold, or is it just me?
                    Oh, it's cold down in our spot (one of the reasons I go there), but that's right beside the outlet and at the bottom of the hall. It gets a lot warmer in the middle of the arena and up in the seats!

Comment

What nobody seems to have mentioned (unless I missed it) is that for Prommers who arrive by car (and don't go Boo, Hiss - it is necessary for some, especially those doing the east-west routes rather than the north-south ones ) the change to a 20-minute cutoff makes it virtually impossible to get into a popular weekday 7 pm-start programme. By the time you've found a post-6.30 parking space where you can park free of charge, and hoofed it back to the Hall, it's almost certain to be later than 6.40, and it's back of the day queue for you, mate! If you start paying for parking, even Promming can start to get very expensive.

And that reminds me of something I have to go and look for ...

Comment

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                        What nobody seems to have mentioned (unless I missed it) is that for Prommers who arrive by car (and don't go Boo, Hiss - it is necessary for some, especially those doing the east-west routes rather than the north-south ones ) the change to a 20-minute cutoff makes it virtually impossible to get into a popular weekday 7 pm-start programme. By the time you've found a post-6.30 parking space where you can park free of charge, and hoofed it back to the Hall, it's almost certain to be later than 6.40, and it's back of the day queue for you, mate! If you start paying for parking, even Promming can start to get very expensive.

And that reminds me of something I have to go and look for ...

You can always park in Hyde during the weekdays - 2.40 per hour until 6.30pm - min 15mins @ 60p. From outside the Serpentine Gallery is less than 10mins to hall if you really don't want to pay ! or you can sit in your car outside the Royal Geographical Society from about 6pm if you want ! I usually get to Hyde park by 5.50 sit around until 6.15 (for 7pm start) and head over to the hall

Comment

Quotation by Ferretfancy: For the NYO Prom a man with a broad carrying strap and a cue sheet, looking rather like an ice cream seller in movies of old, crept around the percussion department throughout the evening. If I had been a performer I would have wanted to knock him down.
                          I agree and I also (during the last three or four years) would like to mutilate the man with the camera on a gigantic boom who sticks it in the ears of double basses and tuba players whilst combing the hair of people sitting in the stalls. Surely Madame pour la Sécurité et la Santé au Travail has something to say about the nosey little oik?

Comment

I was interested to read all the discussion since my original post about the 20 minute cut-off - thank you! I drive to the Proms because if I don't, I can't get home again easily/safely. It's not just the parking, but the congestion charge that makes a massive difference when added to the cost of the ticket, and at the moment every single route through from the East of London is either being dug up or has been closed, all of which adds a lot to the journey. It's especially hideous on Fridays. In response to the comment about leaving earlier, I already am! There's a limit to how far you can push these things in the real world.

In response to one of the quotes about whether 10 minutes made much of a difference; yes, it does! Actually, even 5 minutes would make a difference. Of the 5 concerts I have now missed (all 7pm starts), I would only have been late for one of them in any of the previous years under the 10 minute rule as in all cases bar one I was between 30 seconds and 2 minutes beyond the 20 minute cut-off.

I do appreciate the work involved in and cost of the Proms, and I would hate them to have to stop because of lack of funding (is there a risk of this?) but could there not be some compromise on the timing? Could a 15 minute cut-off be considered?

With regards to posts about the fountain, I don't have strong feelings. I understood it was to keep the temperature down, but this year we haven't had a particularly hot summer, so I haven't been too hot in the hall.

Comment

Working...
                            X