Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social networking and the Proms

Do any of the people who post here meet up at the Proms? Maybe social networking could be useful after all?

Currently at the Bax symphony 2 Prom.

I confess to being a bit wary of meeting up with fellow boarders. While it could be a great idea I just think that the vision people have of me in their head might just be better than the reality.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I confess to being a bit wary of meeting up with fellow boarders. While it could be a great idea I just think that the vision people have of me in their head might just be better than the reality.
      Considering I picture you as a Russian puppet with internet access, I should think so!!

Dave2002: as a newbie, I'm definitely up for a meetup, and would suggest the IC bar next door as a good spot. The problem with meetups seems to be that the non-regulars don't all show up on the same day, and the regular Prommers are busy queuing and can't wander off too far or too long. However, the board ought to at least give it a try one night!

Comment

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
        Considering I picture you as a Russian puppet with internet access, I should think so!!

Dave2002: as a newbie, I'm definitely up for a meetup, and would suggest the IC bar next door as a good spot. The problem with meetups seems to be that the non-regulars don't all show up on the same day, and the regular Prommers are busy queuing and can't wander off too far or too long. However, the board ought to at least give it a try one night!
        You're always welcome to do what Prokky did and come announce yourself at the front row: depending on who you are, I'm sure someone will be willing to talk to you. Even if it is just me.

While it could be a great idea I just think that the vision people have of me in their head might just be better than the reality.
        For good or ill, I don't think anyone would connect my nym to my appearance in a million years.

Comment

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
          For good or ill, I don't think anyone would connect my nym to my appearance in a million years.
          I'm awfully tempted to put a certain photograph up on Flickr and link to it ..

Comment

You're always welcome to do what Prokky did and come announce yourself at the front row: depending on who you are, I'm sure someone will be willing to talk to you. Even if it is just me.

Cavatina were you wearing a light blue headscarf for the Bournemouth Liszt/Glière/Rachmaninov prom???
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm awfully tempted to put a certain photograph up on Flickr and link to it ..
              Hmpfh! Here, let's do the tiny ink version instead:

Cavatina were you wearing a light blue headscarf for the Bournemouth Liszt/Glière/Rachmaninov prom???
              Er, no-- I was wearing a soft cotton taupe sundress with a pale yellow floral cardigan, small silver beads on a string and taupe t-strap bohemian sandals. With my long blonde hair down my back. Front row extreme left or close to it.

Lately, I've noticed a couple of people who look like they recognise me...introduce yourself next time!

Comment

Lately, I've noticed a couple of people who look like they recognise me...introduce yourself next time!
                OK, I will

Comment

Er, no-- I was wearing a soft cotton taupe sundress with a pale yellow floral cardigan, small silver beads on a string and taupe t-strap bohemian sandals. With my long blonde hair down my back. Front row extreme left or close to it.
                  Thanks! I shall peer through my lorgnette during this evening's proceedings!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I would use social netwreok at the Proms but my phone is quite basic. I hope to upgrade though?!?!?!?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I have met one message-boarding-Promenader in the arena a few times but I think that came about through conversation rather than setting it up. I am planning to be in the arena for the two orchestral Proms on Friday (Haitink and Manze), Haitink on Saturday and Dausgaard on Monday. I shall be in the hall on Sunday(Layton) but otherwise placed. If you see a balding, whitehaired, tubby old man in t-shirt and casual trousers/jeans standing roughly a metre or two in front of the mat with the Radio 3 logo (the "arid fountain" as I heard it described) feel free to introduce yourself: you might have found me. I have been mistaken in the queues for Thomas Allen and Daniel Barenboim not that my friends think that true.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Thanks! I shall peer through my lorgnette during this evening's proceedings!
                        If you could have seen my reaction to reading the above, it probably looked something like...

:cool2:

Ha! Just kidding...why not come down and introduce yourself? Lots of us are up front in the mosh pit...who knows, I might even overhear a screen name or two of all the people who never bothered to tell me their handles around this place. Though in a couple of cases, I'm not sure I want to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                          If you see a balding, whitehaired, tubby old man in t-shirt and casual trousers/jeans standing roughly a metre or two in front of the mat with the Radio 3 logo (the "arid fountain" as I heard it described) feel free to introduce yourself: you might have found me.
                          Might being the operative word. That description doesn't exactly make you stand out from the arena crowd!

Comment

That description doesn't exactly make you stand out from the arena crowd!
                            I haven't really since the 70s!!

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                              Might being the operative word. That description doesn't exactly make you stand out from the arena crowd!
                              I like it!

Would that I were to join you all, placed over the head, the pair of frilly pink smalls someone (not me!) has left on our washing line, would provide the necessary distinctiveness!

Comment

Working...
                              X