Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms Commissions

How many works commissioned for the Proms in, say, the last 40 years or so have entered the established repertoire? I suspect that many received only a few, if any, performances after the Prom concerned. Stand-out examples of the first category would include 'The Protecting Veil' and 'The Confession of Isobel Gowdie', but how many people have, for example, experienced a 'Panic' attack since that work's (in)famous premiere? There seem to have been a number of concerti written for the Proms that have have rarely, if ever, been heard again (which probably explains why I'm having trouble remembering any examples... )

Not quite what you asked, but if you make it BBC commissions that were not just for the Proms, then there's Boulez's Rituel and Birtwistle's Earth Dances - two pieces that certainly have entered the established repertoire. But I know what you mean about all those concertos and the like.

Comment

How do you define "entered the established repertoire"?

I think "Veni, Veni, Emmanuel" counts as a concerto that has been heard again. James MacMillan seems to be doing rather well, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post

I think "Veni, Veni, Emmanuel" counts as a concerto that has been heard again. James MacMillan seems to be doing rather well, so far.
        It counts as a concerto,but it wasn't a BBC commission (though it was first performed at a Prom).

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
          It counts as a concerto,but it wasn't a BBC commission (though it was first performed at a Prom).
          Darn, you're right. "Commissioned by Christian Salvesen PLC for the Scottish Chamber Orchestra". I apologise.

Comment

Darn, you're right. "Commissioned by Christian Salvesen PLC for the Scottish Chamber Orchestra". I apologise.
            It's a strange thing isn't it? (though nice of Christian Salvesen PLC to commission it - they seem to be a kind of Norwegian Eddie Stobart). I immediately thought of Veni, Veni too... and it's good to have it mentioned since it was given its first ever performance at a Prom.

Comment

How about: 'Given a public performance in any given concert season'? How many performances have there been of, say, David Blake's Violin Concerto?

Comment

I can think of quite a few works as Proms commissions which, if they haven't made it into the repertoire (whatever that means) nevertheless have been played a few times since, and crucially put on to disc for a listening public to get to know them. One such work was Jonathan Harvey's wonderful 'Madonna of Winter and Spring' which was given in August of 1986, and subsequently recorded by Nimbus: I was in the audience for this world premiere, and it was coupled with Messiaen's 'Poemes pour Mi' and the first London performance of Harrison Birtwistle's extraordinary 'Earth Dances'. This concert really changed my life. (BBC SO/Eötvos)

I've got the Harvey of course, and two accounts of the 'Earth Dances' (Goldilocks and Compact von Disc with the Cleveland Orchestra). Contemporary music rocks IMHO and long may it reign!

Comment

Sorry, the Collins Classics release was the BBCSO but conducted by Peter Eövös: Sir Andrew Davis was on the Decca label, with a marvellous account of Birtwistle's 'Panic' and the 'Earth Dances' with Dohnanyi.

Pardon my enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Danby View Post
                    I can think of quite a few works as Proms commissions which, if they haven't made it into the repertoire (whatever that means) nevertheless have been played a few times since, and crucially put on to disc for a listening public to get to know them. One such work was Jonathan Harvey's wonderful 'Madonna of Winter and Spring' which was given in August of 1986, and subsequently recorded by Nimbus: I was in the audience for this world premiere, and it was coupled with Messiaen's 'Poemes pour Mi' and the first London performance of Harrison Birtwistle's extraordinary 'Earth Dances'. This concert really changed my life. (BBC SO/Eötvos)
                    I was not there for that memorable 1987 Prom but feel very lucky to have it on cassette; I remember the broadcast especially the way the very beautiful light show in the Harvey matched the costumes of the performers to perfection. In answer to Ofchap I also treasure a copy of the Blake VC, true successor to the Schoenberg and Berg concertos, on the Argo LP of Iona Brown and the Philharmonia under Norman del Mar, coupled with "In Praise of Krishna", Teresa Cahill and the Northern Sinfonia under Blake.

It's more great composers such as David Blake than specific works whose repetition I deplore having to miss.

S-A

Comment

blog focused on new music, blog posts on 2011 Proms new works

Via Alex Ross' The Rest Is Noise blog, this blogger has several comments on a number of the new / newer works featured at this summer's Proms:

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X