Trashing Sublimity- The Heptonstall-Derham problem

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring back Peter Barker now!

And they are "announcers" and not "presenters": when will the head suits at the BBC get this into their thick skulls?

I despair, I really do...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I was wondering that, after trawling all the way through, AM51. I'm surmising: either cav was reproducing it as an example of the sort of research she was involved in at that institution, or maybe contributing under a pseudonym?
      xxvii-xxviii, right between "we would like to thank" and "for research support". Just like I said, "I was hired to do analytic research support." You do remember what my real name is, right?

Here I am again on another RAND project in an entirely different subject area, right after "research staff for the report", appendix V-1:

As I said, I started in arts policy, and was put on projects in other subjects as I went through their PhD program in policy analysis. I didn't finish, but completed three years of coursework before my contract was up. Shall I go on, or is that enough for you?
      Last edited by Guest; 26-08-11, 00:19.

Comment

No, no, that's enough for mere mortals like me and (if I may be so bold, Anna) to savour for the moment, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by ff
          I mean, how many opportunities are there elsewhere on the airwaves for such personal reminiscences?
          Am I reading into things too much? I have a feeling that all these New Features are subtly using the image of classical music and/or Radio3 being Elite and Exclusive. Anybody can phone in to Radio2 or Radio Kent but Radio3… Now, that’s different. You will have to be able to talk about CLASSICAL MUSIC and say something ARTISTIC. Thus the presenter needs to have a good balance between being friendly and well…classy? posh? This is Radio3, you know?

Colonel Danby
          I despair, I really do...
          So do I and I have been for many moons

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
            No, no, that's enough for mere mortals like me and (if I may be so bold, Anna) to savour for the moment, thank you.
            So I'm supposed to keep quiet when someone who knows my real name tells everyone it isn't there when it's staring him right in the face? Is that how things are supposed to work around here? If it happened to you, would you just let that one slide, Ofcachap? Really?

Comment

This is just a suggestion: perhaps the more, and more often, one introduces oneself into one's posts (I'm using 'one' because 'you' might be thought to be specific to the individual), the more the attention of others turns towards one and to an analysis, or scrutiny, of what one has said about oneself
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
                xxvii-xxviii, right between "we would like to thank" and "for research support". Just like I said, "I was hired to do analytic research support." You do remember what my real name is, right?

Here I am again on another RAND project in an entirely different subject area, right after "research staff for the report", appendix V-1:

As I said, I started in arts policy, and was put on projects in other subjects as I went through their PhD program in policy analysis. I didn't finish, but completed three years of coursework before my contract was up. Shall I go on, or is that enough for you?
                Fairy nuff, cavatina.

I used to talk often to the great British heart surgeon Dr Donald Ross - we usually said stuff like

'The steak & kidney pie looks good'

'Yes I had that yesterday - pastry was a bit soggy'

'Well you shouldn't come down so late'

'Well yes, but I was trying out this new ....'

But it doesn't make me a heart surgeon

So you checked that the adding up was right - what do I know?

Nothing if you don't tell - and how can I tell if you're bluffing?

Pointless!

Comment

So I'm supposed to keep quiet when someone who knows my real name tells everyone it isn't there when it's staring him right in the face? Is that how things are supposed to work around here? If it happened to you, would you just let that one slide, Ofcachap? Really?
                  If you're referring to me, I don't remember your 'real name' cavatina. You blow so hot & cold over this sort of thing, but my do you blow!

Less wrapping, more content please!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    If you're referring to me, I don't remember your 'real name' cavatina. You blow so hot & cold over this sort of thing, but my do you blow!
                    No, I was talking about S-A. He knows my name and proclaimed it wasn't there, but it is-- surely you don't expect me to let that pass without comment.

Comment

No, I was talking about S-A. He knows my name and proclaimed it wasn't there, but it is-- surely you don't expect me to let that pass without comment.
                      Well if you're happy to tell a few your name, why not tell everyone so we can admire your limpid prose style in the report or note how accurately your equals signs are arranged underneath each other. One minute you're boasting, the next you're as timid as a paranoid aardvark!

As the prophet said "Put up or shut up"

Comment

>>>No, I was talking about S-A. He knows my name and proclaimed it wasn't there, but it is-- surely you don't expect me to let that pass without comment.<<<

I think we do....because we have corresponded for enough years with S-A to know the man ain't devious....
                        bong ching

Comment

I'm not saying he was devious, I'm saying he made a mistake.

French Frank: This is retarded. Please shunt all this irrelevant nonsense into a Diversion Thread--thanks!

Comment

French Frank: Please shunt all this irrelevant nonsense into a Diversion Thread--thanks!
                            Why should french frank do that? Surely the 'irrelevant nonsense' is of your own making? Either come out of the closet and name yourself or stop posting irrelevant Reports in what appears to be merely an attention seeking gesture

Comment

Cavatina: please set up your own blog and do all your showing off, boasting, name dropping or personal confessions and any related activities there in the future. Thank you.

Comment

Well, I'm minded to close the thread but I'll have Simon charging down on me if I do.

I think I will anyway. Start a new thread on any substantial issue raised here. As you know, I don't approve of any member being ganged up on ... But it is for such people to consider why it happens.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X