What is your verdict on this year's Proms?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear - the lamentations make for rather depressing reading. Fortunately, my ears have been telling me a somewhat different story during the last few weeks.

I don't really agree that this season is disappointing, or lacking in magic. Oddly enough, I was talking to a friend (another long time concertgoer) about this year's Proms and we both felt there had been a good number of very fine concerts - occasions that were well worth attending or watching/hearing on the BBC. I write this as someone who has been going to Proms since 1969. There were extraordinary concerts back then - Boult, Solti, Kempe, Mackerras...so many others - and these were undoubtedly very great musicians who did so much to enrich my musical experiences. But they're no longer with us, and musical life goes on. I should also say that as a season ticket holder during the 1970s, I went to quite a lot of dull and disappointing concerts back then too - there's nothing new about variable standards.

The 2011 season has been one I've mostly enjoyed so far. To take a few things at random: Haitink's two Brahms concerts would have been outstanding in any Prom year, Bychkov's Verdi Requiem was thrilling, the NYO concert with Jurowski is one of the best they've done for years, Jurowski's Faust Symphony concert (sorry, Petrushka) was a definite highlight, and curiosity seekers got to experience the "Gothic" Symphony - the sort of thing that's only ever likely to happen at something like the Proms. We got to hear a fascinating new edition of the Glagolitic Mass on the first night (only done once previously, in Vienna earlier this year), several programmes have been imaginative (the Elgar/Grainger/Strauss concert, for instance, putting choruses beside both familiar and unfamiliar pieces), and so on. Standard repertoire (such as most of what I've just mentioned) has been given fresh life rather than just gone through, and it's been great to have things like "Das klagende Lied", very well conducted and mostly very well sung - likewise the magnificent beast that is "Guillaume Tell". Visiting orchestras from Paris and Stockholm have acquitted themselves well, to say nothing of the COE, so I'm not inclined to grumble about visiting orchestras, especially as we have more to come.

On the whole, then, so far so good - and I'm looking forward to plenty more concerts in the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
      I think trying to pin some sort of significance to the change in branding to BBC Proms is a red herring, the full name is still given on the tickets, inside every programme and so on. I understand that the main reason for the increased prominence of "BBC" is a court case the Beeb lost trying to prevent another series of concerts "The Cathcart Spring Proms" (named after Dr Henry Cathcart, the third founder of the original Queen's Hall proms) being held in the RAH. It was ruled that the word "proms" itself was a generic description, not specifically connected with the annual summer series in the hall
      I believe the change was because of the "dreaded focus group" - many people did ( and probably still do ) that the Proms were merely broadcast by the BBC and were actually run by the Albert Hall (and/or some other organisation). No doubt the BBC felt that insufficient credit was being given to them for the work they do ! I also think Henry Wood bequeathed his name to the BBC as a trade mark - so presumably thats why the Cathcart proms were so named !

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
        Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
        The 2011 Proms season is drawing to its close.What is your verdict on a) The programme content offered and b) The standards of performance in comparison with 2010 and previous years (going back to when you last remember!)?

This should, I hope, lead to a lively discussion with many differing views.
        There are still 18 Proms to go ...isn't this a bit like reviewing a performance of 'Hamlet' half-way through Act IV?
        I haven't reviewed anything, and will not attempt to do so until the season is over, but there is no harm in alerting people to start assembling their thoughts on what has already been performed and their views on what is yet to come.
        It is for each individual to decide if and when to speak - I simply opened the thread in the expectation that, in the final verdict, there will be many differing views and a pretty lively subsequent discussion.

VH

Comment

Here's the Intellectual Property Office decision http://www.ipo.gov.uk/o17700.PDF which sets out most of the background. The decision wasn't made until 2000, though the Cathcart series was started in 1996 (and appears to have folded in 2009). The evidence presented by the BBC in opposition to the registration of a trademark by the Cathcart Proms suggests to my reading that prior to this time though BBC Proms sometimes appeared in conjunction prior to 1996 this was purely descriptive, and until this point the BBC saw "the Proms" as being purely identified with the series sponsored since 1927 by the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
            Here's the Intellectual Property Office decision http://www.ipo.gov.uk/o17700.PDF which sets out most of the background. The decision wasn't made until 2000, though the Cathcart series was started in 1996 (and appears to have folded in 2009). The evidence presented by the BBC in opposition to the registration of a trademark by the Cathcart Proms suggests to my reading that prior to this time though BBC Proms sometimes appeared in conjunction prior to 1996 this was purely descriptive, and until this point the BBC saw "the Proms" as being purely identified with the series sponsored since 1927 by the BBC.
            I saw that - interesting read !

Another interesting read http://www.europeanevents.co.uk/down...se%20study.pdf as far as I can see the "Cathart Proms" consisted of one concert - single - which hardly makes it a "Proms" series !

I suspect the BBC was a bit narked off at someone basically "ripping off" the LNOP - with some justification. The look and feel of the LN even down to the decoration of the conductors podium clearly lifted from the LN.

All this in aid of a corporate jolly for an IT firm !!

Comment

I've listened to more Proms this year than last, partly because I now listen via satellite tv rather than the flakey evening FM reception we get here (DAB radio here is even worse than FM) but it's not over yet so would rather not comment about the whole season.

One thing I've really enjoyed, and probably has made me listen to certain Proms that I would usually pass by are the comments on each Prom on this MB, most informative and entertaining.

Comment

What is your verdict on this year's Proms?

Not greatly inspirational. Nigel was good, and one ot two others, but mostly it was second rate garbage. Some of those Russian conductors (NOT Gergiev) should have been smothered at birth along with many of the British and other dubious ones. A few good soloists along with many totally dire ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                  Not greatly inspirational. Nigel was good, and one ot two others, but mostly it was second rate garbage. Some of those Russian conductors (NOT Gergiev) should have been smothered at birth along with many of the British and other dubious ones. A few good soloists along with many totally dire ones.
                  I'd like to hope this was just written to provoke. If you really meant it, then you have my sympathy.

Comment

I believe that this year's Proms is a bit of a mixed bag. There's been some good ones, like the William Tell, Brian's Gothic,The Sir Mark Elder Prom, the Verdi Requiem all together the interpretation was really good), an quite a few other to many to name here. The one prom i didn't like was ofcourse the Sir Roger Norrington Prom! Gah! Also there were some soloists etc,who shouldnt have been there!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Poor Bbm, not liking the Prom of the season. Ah well ...

As to The Gothic, hugely enjoyable in the Hall, dire choral intonation at times notwithstanding, but what a mess was made of the dynamics transmitted to those outside the Hall, listening by radio or on line.

Comment

I still think it would be good if the BBCSO had a principal conductor who had a bit of a following.

Even allowing for the disappointment of his cancellations, I am not sure that Mr Belohlavek is quite that

leading figure.

Id like to see a few older artists perform too. eg For pianists wouldn't it be good to hear John Lill or Howard Shelley ?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          I still think it would be good if the BBCSO had a principal conductor who had a bit of a following.

Even allowing for the disappointment of his cancellations, I am not sure that Mr Belohlavek is quite that leading figure.
                          Agree strongly. My feeling is that the BBCSO should try everything in its power to persuade the man conducting them tonight ... though whether they'll get him is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                            Agree strongly. My feeling is that the BBCSO should try everything in its power to persuade the man conducting them tonight ... though whether they'll get him is another matter.
                            I agree too but if Bychkov proves impossible then the BBC should do everything in its power to persuade Edward Gardner.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              I agree too but if Bychkov proves impossible then the BBC should do everything in its power to persuade Edward Gardner.
                              No argument with you there, Petrushka - I think that's a very good idea, and he'd be an excellent choice.
                              The orchestra played really well for him in the concert with Das klagende Lied, didn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                                No argument with you there, Petrushka - I think that's a very good idea, and he'd be an excellent choice.
                                The orchestra played really well for him in the concert with Das klagende Lied, didn't they?
                                Indeed they did. EG has the right profile, has been making some good records with them (Britten, Lutoslawski on Chandos). I have been saying he is the right man for the BBCSO for a year now (on the old BBC boards) and it looks to me as if things are tending that way.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X