Prom 74: Saturday 10th September at 7.30 p.m. (Last Night of the Proms)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well MrGongGong, all things go in and out of fashion. Perhaps beyond your ken, or desire to admit, there are many people who still do associate themselves with the values expressed in some of the '1950s style English event'. They would also far prefer that than the kind of relevant modern celebration of the world around us (in a very real sense) that it could be you might prefer. I wonder why?!

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

but not the dreadful sea songs please no
      So enlighten me - objectively please. Why is "Panic" better than the Sea Songs? (apart form the fact that hardly anyone would want to listen to the former).

Comment

I've been out walking all afternoon, so quite exhausted and will probably turn on the television for Last Night, having the remote handy to silence it before You'll Never Walk Alone and Climb Every Mountain. I doubt if the sound will come back on but I'm quite interested to see if any of our regulars in the front row will catch the eye of the cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          So enlighten me - objectively please. Why is "Panic" better than the Sea Songs? (apart form the fact that hardly anyone would want to listen to the former).
          Panic Music Video, Morrissey, Marr, The Smiths

I rest my case

Comment

This will annoy some, but doesn't Gardner look splendidly Sargent-like, down to a very fulsome carnation. No detachable stiff collar but apart from that we could be in the 50s...

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              MrGongGong. You're very naughty.

Comment

Is the Rule Britannia in the Sargent arrangement? One assumes so, given Brunnhilde will be singing it.

Comment

Where was the serenity in those last wonderful exhalations of the orchestra in the Gotterdammerung? The destiny leitmotif anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    I'm quite interested to see if any of our regulars in the front row will catch the eye of the cameras.
                    Not me, because I'm not there.

Comment

How nice to see Lang Lang acknowledging the applause from the people behind the stage. I wish every performer would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        We have a world premiere from one of the most eminent living composers
                        That must be a reference to 'Musica Benevolens' , almost enough to put me off music for the rest of my life.

Fortunately redeemed by that sensational performance of the Liszt by Lang Lang.

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                          As has been pointed out previously on these boards, ticket income only covers about half the costs of the Proms. What the BBC have never revealed is the income they get from selling broadcast rights overseas (particularly for the Last Night), which one would imagine is not an insignificant sum.
                          Don't you have to pay to go to the Proms in the Park(s)? That would make quite a profit on the events themselves - I wonder whether that goes to offset the Official Proms or into some other pot.

It would be interesting to know where the revenue from broadcast rights goes too. After all, most of the so-called 'loss' comes out of Radio 3's budget. It wouldn't be quite the thing if indirect revenue was going to the commercial wing.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This must be the worst LNOP ever!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

In those verses, I declare,
                              I hear the sounds of Rupert Bear.

Comment

I have to say that, despite Mr Gardner's tailoring, it has been a dampus squibbus so far

Comment

Working...
                                X