BBC abandons IPO broadcast 1 Sep 2011

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC abandons IPO broadcast 1 Sep 2011

I was looking forward to catching up on this later, but the Listen Again link on the website says this is programme is not available. I believe the BBC abandoned the live broadcast because of the interruptions. All news stories quote the BBC as saying that they were 'forced' to do so. Why? Who forced them? It is perfectly possible to continue broadcasting an event as it takes place.

Could the BBC please explain why it took this decision and why it did not continue the broadcast - interruptions and all - just as the audience at the Prom heard it.

Probably you ought to put this question to the BBC directly if you are seeking some kind of official response? However, there is an extensive discussion of this topic already going on here on these messageboards - including input from concertgoers who were there in person.

Comment

Yes, thank you. I had not noticed when I started the thread. I have been following it since.

Comment

I was in the hall - and was periodically listening to the broadcast during the "disturbances" via m3player/radio. They did seem to stick with it for some time - before giving up !

I guess they thought it was a balance between a broadcast-able program - and just shouting ! I also guess they thought the whole might have to be abandoned and so decided to go to complete recordings rather than have a piece of music stopped. In the event only the Webern was really interrupted - so I think most of the other pieces can be broadcast on the repeat.

I also think they would, as broadcaster be responsible for the content so if people were shouting obscenities - then there might be complaints .

Comment

Well, there were disturbances apparently but of course we've had such disturbances for years now in the actions of the promenade audience who think that it their right to applaud during movements of works. Of course they don't always do this when a senior more stern conductor is on the podium and a case in question were the Brahms' nights with Bernard Haitink in command.
          I only wish that other conductors would ensure, somehow, that the selfish, lunatic fringe (I presume) would desist from showing their childish enthusiasm until the end of the work and then wait a second or so before clapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
            However, there is an extensive discussion of this topic already going on here on these messageboards - including input from concertgoers who were there in person.
            I lost interest in listening to the Proms this season at the anemic bitrate available to me, but when I heard about this I visited this board to see how this incident was received by the members. I was puzzled for several days that there didn't seem to be anything posted about it, but then I found some comments in a thread about "getting to the Proms." I saw nothing else until this one appeared, and when I clicked the link in the quoted post I found the thread in a totally unexpected place. It seems to me that a thread about disruption at the Proms should be in the "Proms" thread, but maybe I don't see the big picture.

Anyway, IMO, the BBC severely mishandled this issue. All the disruptive thugs should have been removed and arrested immediately and the broadcast should have gone on as scheduled. Behaving as it did, the BBC handed them a victory.

Comment

Hello Billy!

I don't know if you tried it, but the "Trouble at t'Proms" thread - which is linked in my message which you quoted - is specifically devoted to an in-depth discussion of this topic. I didn't start that thread, but many members have contributed their ideas and feelings about this topic... it hasn't passed unremarked or hidden-away! Quite the reverse! I am sure there is still space on there for your input if you'd like to share it with others, although many have already posted along the same lines as you've expressed.

Here's the link again

Comment

Thanks, Al. Appreciate the clarification.

My search had been pretty much confined to the "Proms 2011" section, so I didn't see that thread until I saw your earlier post. It didn't occur to me that a thread concerning a Prom would be posted somewere else, but judging from the participation on it others didn't have that problem.

Comment

This bit of the forum is for discussion of the music - hence, the non-musical entertainment is discussed elsewhere.

Comment

This must be the first Mehta Prom where Zubin's conducting hasn't been called into question !!

I still rather like him, I must say :-)

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                      Well, there were disturbances apparently but of course we've had such disturbances for years now in the actions of the promenade audience who think that it their right to applaud during movements of works. Of course they don't always do this when a senior more stern conductor is on the podium and a case in question were the Brahms' nights with Bernard Haitink in command.
                      I only wish that other conductors would ensure, somehow, that the selfish, lunatic fringe (I presume) would desist from showing their childish enthusiasm until the end of the work and then wait a second or so before clapping.
                      I share your dislike of thoughtless applause between movements, which usually starts in the further reaches of the hall, and not in the Arena. However, to equate this thoughtless behaviour with the demonstrations against the Israel Philharmonic that we suffered last week seems to be not only silly, but almost contemptible.For the record, I was there, and it was a deeply offensive display which at one stage lead to a fight high up in the hall which could have led to the participants falling over the edge. Please do not try to make cheap capital out of a serious and disturbing event.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        This must be the first Mehta Prom where Zubin's conducting hasn't been called into question !!

I still rather like him, I must say :-)
                        And so do I. I don't quite understand why he is not as highly rated by the critics as he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                        X