Proms Operas 2011 - a fallow year?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms Operas 2011 - a fallow year?

Is anyone else unimpressed with the Proms Operas this year? Only three, of which one is the "expected" Glyndebourne Prom (a jokey production of "Rinaldo", when we might have had Jurowski's acclaimed "Meistersinger"?). "William Tell" probably caters to Rossini completists, but few others. I am all in favour of "Der Freischutz", even in the Berlioz reworking... but it seems a thin year overall.

Which potential Proms Operas would you draw to Mr Wright's attention for next year? I know that this season isn't over yet! But the singers needed for major works will already be filling their diaries! Bear in mind... the genre of "Proms Opera" has come to imply some large-scale work that is rarely performed in a stage version.. either because of production costs, or the limited chance of making a fully-staged production pay its way.

Dunno about Meistersinger for this year - they did it last year, didn't they (WNO)?

What's Rusalka like?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Dunno about Meistersinger for this year - they did it last year, didn't they (WNO)?

What's Rusalka like?
      I dunno about WNO, but Glyndebourne's Meistersinger was brand-new this year, and won every plaudit imaginable

I haven't seen the current Glyndebourne Rusalka, so I can't say. But the opera itself combines truly magical music with a storyline that goes beyond the traditional fairytale approach of the dastardly deceiver - I'd go a long way to hear a decent Rusalka

Comment

The problem for us punters at home is that the Royal Opera and ENO have not yet formally announced what is on next summer. In the past Charles Mackerras regularly brought ENO concert performances to the Proms. Solti and Colin Davis brought ROH productions. From the ROH I would suggest something from Wagner's Ring which I read somewhere is due for partial production. From ENO I would go for something like Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier, Adams' Death of Klinghoffer or Offenbach's disgracefully neglected and tragic Tales of Hoffman. In the days of Pritchard and Haitink Glyndebourne used to come to the Proms twice a season. If that was possible I would love to see them in The Cunning Little Vixen and the double bill of L’Heure Espagnole and L’Enfant et les sortilèges. Of course it would be good to have WNO back again. And why not push the boat out and get a performance from English Touring Opera, Garsington Opera, Grange Park Opera, or Holland Park Opera? How about Opera North's Rheingold? Certainly we used to have about five operas per season. Bring it on.

Comment

Yes, Meistersinger was performed on the first weekend (I'm only mentioning this as a reason why they wouldn't do the Glyndebourne one this year).

The ROH Rusalka promises:

Conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin
          Rusalka Camilla Nylund
          Foreign princess Petra Lang
          Prince Bryan Hymel
          Ježibaba Agnes Zwierko
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

That's a tempting list, Chris Newman!

Although what I really had in mind are the concert performances the Beeb itself mounts, of more exotic fare that isn't showing in an opera house... for example like the extract of The Masque Of Orpheus which was done at the Proms recently? But I would certainly be pleased to see any of the other items you mention included in the Proms in future too!

Of course, the ROH used to have its very own Proms, which involved taking all the seats in the Stalls out. I s'pose those days have gone now?

Comment

The ROH Rusalka promises:

Conductor Yannick Nézet-Séguin
              Rusalka Camilla Nylund
              Foreign princess Petra Lang
              Prince Bryan Hymel
              Ježibaba Agnes Zwierko
              The Glyndebourne Rusalka this year featured

Rusalka Dina Kuznetsova
              Prince Pavel Cernoch
              Foreign Princess Tatiana Pavlovskaya
              Vodnik Mischa Schelomianski
              Ježibaba Larissa Diadkova

Comment

I would be very happy with either cast for Rusalka though Glyndebourne would not bring it back without a run beforehand. I hope to see two different productions in Prague in March (National Theatre and State Opera). I will not be surprised if the casts overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                  I would be very happy with either cast for Rusalka though Glyndebourne would not bring it back without a run beforehand. I hope to see two different productions in Prague in March (National Theatre and State Opera). I will not be surprised if the casts overlap.
                  Of course, there is more opera from along the Vltava in next year's Glyndebourne season And it's V Jurowski's last season as MD. It might not be entirely his shout on this, but I am sure he would want to slot his final Glyndebourne show as MD into the Proms if he could

Another potential synergy might be to achieve some London/BBC performances for the high-profile concert performances of opera Elder's been doing with the Halle.

Comment

You do know that the Ring is planned for the 2013 season, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Sullivan View Post
                      You do know that the Ring is planned for the 2013 season, don't you?
                      No, I'm a complete outsider to the planning of the Proms seasons Any news on the cast. orchestra or conductor of this good news?

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
                        Any news on the cast. orchestra or conductor?
                        Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Staatsoper.

Google is your friend.

Comment

Mary will no doubt wonder what from Britten's repertoire will be chosen for his centenary year ...

Comment

Mary will no doubt wonder what from Britten's repertoire will be chosen for his centenary year ...
                            Probably the same as they did for Tippett in his centenary year

Comment

I think we have had as many operas this year as previous

William Tell
                              Rinaldo
                              Verdi's Requiem

and coming up Der Freischütz in French - presumably the title got missed in translation !

Comment

Working...
                              X