Proms Operas 2011 - a fallow year?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jane Sullivan View Post
    Daniel Barenboim and the Berlin Staatsoper.

Google is your friend.
    Oh dear. I guess that means another four broadcasts being terminated. This time due to those opposed to Barenboim conducting Wagner. Messiaen's S. François was one thing, but I'm not standing for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      but I'm not standing for this.
      So buy a seat, then.

Comment

Is anyone else unimpressed with the Proms Operas this year? Only three, of which one is the "expected" Glyndebourne Prom (a jokey production of "Rinaldo", when we might have had Jurowski's acclaimed "Meistersinger"?). "William Tell" probably caters to Rossini completists, but few others. I am all in favour of "Der Freischutz", even in the Berlioz reworking... but it seems a thin year overall.
        I disagree - all of the operas this year are imo worth hearing, though I'd prefer Weber's version of Freischutz to Berlioz'. Meistersinger was performed at a Prom last year IIRC so could hardly be repeated in successive years.

I'd like to hear Busoni's Doktor Faust - that certainly fits the bill of a large scale work rarely performed in a stage version.

Comment

ROH summer season productions are Salome & Troyens.

Comment

Of course there's not only Wagner & Britten in 2013 but Verdi as well, so I expect they'll be plenty of opera. Then in 2014 we have R Strauss (150 birth anniversary).

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
              Of course, the ROH used to have its very own Proms, which involved taking all the seats in the Stalls out. I s'pose those days have gone now?
              I think when that first happened it was as part of the Proms season; subsequently the ROH did it as part of their own season (possibly sponsored by Paul Hamlyn?).

Holland Park Opera was mentioned - perhaps their production of La Wally would fit the 'rarity' criterion? & I've just seen Die frau ohne schatten at the Edinburgh Festival - perhaps that could be considered a rarity suitable for the Proms?

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                I think when that first happened it was as part of the Proms season; subsequently the ROH did it as part of their own season (possibly sponsored by Paul Hamlyn?).

Holland Park Opera was mentioned - perhaps their production of La Wally would fit the 'rarity' criterion? & I've just seen Die frau ohne schatten at the Edinburgh Festival - perhaps that could be considered a rarity suitable for the Proms?
                I didn't realise that the ROH Proms had begun under the umbrella of the BBC Proms. I would be in favour of seeing a return to something like that? So much is lost in the transfer from fully-staged production to the dingy stage of the Albert Hall.

Do you think Holland Park performances would be up to the standards of other Proms? I've seen three operas there over recent years - they all seemed to fit that old Abbey-Opera genre of "we might be a bit wonky, but it's yer only chance to see Pfitzner's Palestrina, so don't complain". The orchestral playing in particular struck me as very Dulux Economy White - clearly competent players, but all pulled together on about two rehearsals? As a Schnorrer's Glyndebourne - with picnic opportunity etc - it's a pleasant enough way to pass a summer evening, but I fear they'll suffer by comparison with any of the other Proms operas, and shorn of the dramatic action there might not be enough left to make a broadcast? Although actually the same can really be said of Garsington, for all their fancy prices.

How was Die Frau? Jonathan Kent's production has come in for some stick, but I would imagine the Mariinsky cast were The Right Stuff? More so than HPO, I mean

Comment

Originally posted by Lee McLernon View Post
                  ROH summer season productions are Salome & Troyens.
                  And I understand that Les Troyens will indeed feature at the Proms...
                  Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Chris Newman, I don't recall a year where Glyndebourne FO came to the Proms more than once since the 70s - from where my Prom prospectus collection starts. However, looking on the Proms Archive the Glyndebourne Chorus (probably in effect the same as the Festival Opera but not necessarily...) came twice in 1963, 65, 71, 72 and 94 (the latter is probably an error on the database which I can check at home).

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
                      I didn't realise that the ROH Proms had begun under the umbrella of the BBC Proms. I would be in favour of seeing a return to something like that? So much is lost in the transfer from fully-staged production to the dingy stage of the Albert Hall.

Do you think Holland Park performances would be up to the standards of other Proms? I've seen three operas there over recent years - they all seemed to fit that old Abbey-Opera genre of "we might be a bit wonky, but it's yer only chance to see Pfitzner's Palestrina, so don't complain". The orchestral playing in particular struck me as very Dulux Economy White - clearly competent players, but all pulled together on about two rehearsals? As a Schnorrer's Glyndebourne - with picnic opportunity etc - it's a pleasant enough way to pass a summer evening, but I fear they'll suffer by comparison with any of the other Proms operas, and shorn of the dramatic action there might not be enough left to make a broadcast? Although actually the same can really be said of Garsington, for all their fancy prices.

How was Die Frau? Jonathan Kent's production has come in for some stick, but I would imagine the Mariinsky cast were The Right Stuff? More so than HPO, I mean
                      The ROH Proms were an offshoot of the BBC Proms. Boris Christoff sang some bits of Boris Godounov at the 1970 Proms and liked the audience so much he pleaded with Colin Davis (who was just taking over at Covent Garden) to bring the complete opera to the Proms. They decided instead in 1971 to take the Proms to Covent Garden for that opera. The later ROH Proms were successful whilst they were heavily subsidised.

I remember sitting in the queue for Boris G in Wellington Street watching Alfred Hitchcock(who sat in his Rolls most of the time) on the opposite side of the road filming a scene from "Frenzy" with Jon Finch and Barry Foster. After doing it for several hours he crossed the road and thanked us all for being so quiet and "well behaved".

Comment

Working...
                      X