No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... a national muse?

[first; apologies for trespass but it ain't jazz nor classik, but etc...]

P J Harvey wins the Mercury Prize for Let England Shake ...

i think and listen little to the stuff that mercury prizes are made of but find this album truly exceptional .... there is a new national anthem on it somewhere ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Haven't got a clue what you're talking about......and care even less.......
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

how kind of you to tell us what we already knew Mr Pee
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        [first; apologies for trespass but it ain't jazz nor classik, but etc...] .... there is a new national anthem on it somewhere ....
        That should flush the Empire Loyalists out of the woodwork in apoplexy...

Comment

.....as featured earlier this year on "The Verb". See post 36 there for the review. Not bad but maybe time to revisit and reassess.

I am in no doubt that it was the right decision in a poor year. They so often get it wrong. Apposite politically. And by giving the award twice to the same artist it also somehow gives a bit of shape to the history of these awards.

Not entirely sure who all the judges were. One was Corinne Bailey Rae. She doesn't impress me much.

Funnily enough, I was looking earlier at the list of all of the nominees since Mercury started to see what had been there beyond rock and pop. There is quite a lot of it.

Even some jazz there Calum - what do you think of the ones included since it began?

Comment

Mseleku was a loss, another national muse ....

Barker, Tracey, Pine, Surman, Kinch and Kit Downes i wouldn't argue about any of them, not heard the latest Simcock [Stan T is the man tho]

Comment

My knowledge of jazz is just ahead of my knowledge of classical music. The average member of the public would see me as well-informed. The aficionados would rightly see me as an ignoramus. It is bits and pieces of the pure form collected in the memory over years and a lot of coming at it from other angles - things "with a jazz influence".

You mention ST. One of my pure jazz cds is "Under Milk Wood" funnily enough. I love Starless and Bible Black which I probably heard first on Desert Island Discs. I know Soweto Kinch because I investigated the cd following the Mercury nomination. I got into Portico Quartet in the same way before seeing them, and enjoying them, at Womad.

I keep renewing a library book "Jazz from New Orleans to the New Jazz Age" edited by Ronald Atkins. I really like it and am learning a lot from it. If R3 doesn't completely renege on its commitments, I hope to learn a great deal more.

Comment

I've been following PJH since the early 90's....odd flat period mid 00's when she went US but allways a couple of gems on every album and collabaration....often a couple to run across the room to stop too....
                bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  [first; apologies for trespass but it ain't jazz nor classik, but etc...]

no probs - worth it just for the Mr. Pee post.

Besides her new album does appear to feature Turkish lamenting and a kanun on one track, so this is deffo the right place....

Comment

>>>worth it just

Mr. Pee the artist ?

Anyway I wouldn't have been remotely curious about any prize winner ... but now Calum has spoken I'd like to know where I can
                    get a free sample of PJH.

Didn't they used to give out samples of PLJ ? I bet Mr Pee would know.

Comment

Yesterday Mr Pee wrote on the "Stormy Weather" thread

"Force 8 gusting 9 all day down here in Chichester Harbour"

Hmm. Sounds as if his wind problem is blowing this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                        I'd like to know where I can
                        get a free sample of PJH.

Wake up England is, of course, on Spooter.
                        'England' is the track I was referring to.
                        I prefer the idea of her to the reality, but no doubting of her worthiness (and hard work)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                          Wake up England is, of course, on Spooter.
                          'England' is the track I was referring to.
                          I prefer the idea of her to the reality, but no doubting of her worthiness (and hard work)
                          I quite liked this song but was struggling to take the whole thing seriously - oh I know she doesn't need to wear jeans and a t-shirt but honestly PJ, cut out the KB look willya?
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            I quite liked this song but was struggling to take the whole thing seriously - oh I know she doesn't need to wear jeans and a t-shirt but honestly PJ, cut out the KB look willya?
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGlbVPdxC60
                            I thought she had a dead crow on her head. THAT, everybody, got the Mercury Prize?????

Comment

I got very confused with all this. Started to watch the clip again - that says something in itself - thinking of the comment "I prefer the idea of her to the reality, but no doubting of her worthiness (and hard work)." Recalled how you and I had exchanged notes to that effect earlier this year GT. We agreed. I still do. Then it was "She seems to emerge as the Dorset clay like XTC are the Wiltshire chalk". Obviously I quickly thought better of it. Wouldn't ever write that crassly for the generalised public.

A short time then for thinking how her recent poetry classes in Bridport had obviously helped her. There followed some puzzling about a no doubt really ignorant blank spot over JC's reference to KB. Ah, just got it, yes, I was being thick there. And finally to cap it all, I just couldnt see how the thing on her head could possibly look like a cow. Now I re-read it, I see that s_a said "crow". It all makes much more sense now. It is a kind of elegant glumming and yet still mythically very immediate.

I do like her though - I think it is only the voice that leaves doubt - because she is a very rootsy, no, perhaps unusually organic, phenomenon. I also enjoy her words a lot, even if she does detail to the point of verbosity as I do overly sparse one-liners. Rarely. Was it the last cd where she became so ethereal it was just like listening to a vanishing oil lamp? This one is much better. I hear military thorns, rattling jewellery, farmyard wagons and five dancing spoons. Perhaps best of all, she isn't Bat for Lashes.

PJ Harvey "Let England Shake": The West's asleep. Let England shake, weighted down with silent dead. I fear our blood won't rise ag...
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-09-11, 01:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X