Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it seems to me that there are two very different things here.

Clearly for some people 'doing the Proms' is a friendly, very much community experience - the delight in the hours of various queueing, the camaraderie, the inner sanctum knowledge, the sharing, the traditions, ------ and then - there is the musical experience where I as person X experience a performance of a work by composer Y given by performers Z.

It seems to me that the first experience is much more of a religious/sociologically interesting cult matter than a musical one. It clearly also provides lots of the dopamines that some of its followers crave: it is one that (having experienced it several times) I find a complete 'turn off'...

Whereas the 'musical experience' can, of course, be wonderful. Best experienced at home on a good radio. Hence the need for BETTER RECORDED SOUND!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
      That sounds fantastic! Which reminds me: every year, it's always so frustrating to be handed brochures that outline what's happening in London that I'm about miss by a week or two. Biggest teeth-gnasher this year? The Southbank Boulez series. Grrr...bah humbug! Oh well, hope someone here writes a review.
      There's a simple solution to that: Move to London. Bring Prissy with you, too.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        it seems to me that there are two very different things here. [...]
        Whereas the 'musical experience' can, of course, be wonderful. Best experienced at home on a good radio
        There's more than one way to experience music...and believe me, my way gives me all the dopamine and adrenaline I can handle and then some.

Nietzsche: Apollo versus Dionysus

"Two very different things" indeed: you experience the Proms your way; I'll experience it mine.
        Last edited by Guest; 14-09-11, 16:14.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BudgieJane View Post
          There's a simple solution to that: Move to London. Bring Prissy with you, too.
          Oh, I'd say she's ready...all I need to do is figure out how to make it happen.

And speaking of heightened creativity and inspiration, I just realised I never posted a photo of the necklace I made out of the brick fragments of Royal Albert Hall I gathered last year after it almost dropped on us. It's a little hard to see, but the beads are dark red garnets, and the piece of the Hall is set in silver...oddly enough, I only wore it opening night; somehow it just doesn't seem right to wear it like ordinary jewelry. I made two more pendants in slightly different shapes, and still have plenty of raw material to make more. Anyway, here it is:

FRAGMENT OF ROYAL ALBERT HALL NECKLACE

...hope you like it!

Comment

Working...
          X