HIP but not HIPP...our Nige at the Proms

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIP but not HIPP...our Nige at the Proms

I was quite transported by the Partita. I found myself in equal admiration of JSB (what a piece) and the way NK had got to the heart of it. I was surprised to be un-bothered by the Kennedy corybantics.

If only he didn't open his gob.

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
      If only he didn't open his gob.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

i find kennedy's renunciation of anything that marks the establishment in appearance and speech admirable if somewhat unappealing ... however he is an artist and deserves the respect and courtesy that requires such things to be put aside ... this was a deeply serious and brilliant performance, playing of deep concentration and sensitivity with bravura where needed ... an incredible combination of 'flow' and control ... for me one of the best proms this year
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          i find kennedy's renunciation of anything that marks the establishment in appearance and speech admirable if somewhat unappealing ... however he is an artist and deserves the respect and courtesy that requires such things to be put aside ... this was a deeply serious and brilliant performance, playing of deep concentration and sensitivity with bravura where needed ... an incredible combination of 'flow' and control ... for me one of the best proms this year
          Hmmm. I seem to be on my jack with this one, having found the "jazz" pieces glib beyond belief; and I'm still not sure about 18th century baroque pieces being played with gushings of rubato, maing them sound as if composed by Mendelssohn.

Comment

and I'm still not sure about 18th century baroque pieces being played with gushings of rubato,
            There's plenty of performers/performances around that you will approve of, SA. Given the playing style espoused by NK (and the majority of solo violinists, in fact) I thought the Partita was tasteful and not overburdened wth false expressive devices. I thought the speed relationships between 'movements' were nicely judged. And gushing? Surely not.

Comment

well for the avoidance of doubt i was referring to the partita in d min and the prelude ....

the 'jazz' was ordinary but highly accomplished and fun ... i liked the bass player ...
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Stop being so elitist and snobby

The bass player was wonderful, and NK's playing ws a lot of fun. He appreciates other real musicians as well, and his sense of humour is better than a lot of so called "comedians."

There is no British player (or non-British for that matter) that could stand there and give such a committed and musicianly performance of the Unnacompanied Bach. Even if I very occassionally would have played the odd bar differently myself, I respect his point of view.

Kennedy can play any British violinist in the last 40+ years into the ground, and the other's (including some dire foreigners) are only comparitively at about ASBRSM grade III level.

I've just got a secondhand copy of his CD made in 1990 of the Brahms concerto with Tendstedt, and I'm really knocked out by it. Two really outstanding musicians collaborating and Brahms is the winner. Great performance.

And I totally agree with Nigel's criticism of HIP and also of conductors. His is a voice in the wilderness.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  however he is an artist and deserves the respect and courtesy that requires such things to be put aside
                  Respect and courtesy which he does not extend to others, regrettably.

Instead he confines himself to personal attacks on his colleagues, suggesting that they're incapable of playing baroque music, and implying that this repertoire should be reserved for himself alone. Unwilling to be bothered with any of the research or first-hand source material of the period, he dismisses it all with his ever-burgeoning hubris.

I wonder how orchestral players who work with him feel about being told that they're no-hopers? It's all very unattractive indeed, and I suspect this curmudgeonly misanthropy (writing-off entire nations-full of violinists with a wave of his hand) bodes ill for his future.

I will stick with Rachel Podger, Andrew Manze, OAE, Mullova, Biondi, Giardino Armonico, Mutter, Kremer, Cafe Zimmermann, Red Priest, Joshua Bell, the greatly-missed Monica Huggett, and others whose performances enthrall and inspire me. I can't listen to Kennedy any longer - his bilious attacks on his fellow musicians have tainted his performances for me. His monstrous ego is too large for my cd-player these days. Music is about something a lot bigger than one man's overweening ambition.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
                      Respect and courtesy which he does not extend to others, regrettably.

Instead he confines himself to personal attacks on his colleagues, suggesting that they're incapable of playing baroque music, and implying that this repertoire should be reserved for himself alone. Unwilling to be bothered with any of the research or first-hand source material of the period, he dismisses it all with his ever-burgeoning hubris.

I wonder how orchestral players who work with him feel about being told that they're no-hopers? It's all very unattractive indeed, and I suspect this curmudgeonly misanthropy (writing-off entire nations-full of violinists with a wave of his hand) bodes ill for his future.

I will stick with Rachel Podger, Andrew Manze, OAE, Mullova, Biondi, Giardino Armonico, Mutter, Kremer, Cafe Zimmermann, Red Priest, Joshua Bell, the greatly-missed Monica Huggett, and others whose performances enthrall and inspire me. I can't listen to Kennedy any longer - his bilious attacks on his fellow musicians have tainted his performances for me. His monstrous ego is too large for my cd-player these days. Music is about something a lot bigger than one man's overweening ambition.
                      WHAT AN ABSOLUTE LOAD OF OLD CODSWALLOP!!

I've recently spoken with orchestral players who have and are working with him and I never hear any of the BS that you are attributing them with.

And quite a lot of those fiddlers you mention I would pay to avoid. (Not quite all).

He follows in the great Menuhin tradition. And he has spent years studying the Bach, and he can at least play the notes and in tune which is more than the likes of Manze can, who sounds like a year one beginner.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                        WHAT AN ABSOLUTE LOAD OF OLD CODSWALLOP!!
                        Well, that was a deeply-considered and nuanced response, wasn't it?

Comment

There are two conflicting issues here:
                          1. Nigel Kennedy's great musicicanship
                          2. The massive chip on his shoulder.

As for HIP/HIPP - N.K. trying to be "hip" is incredibly embarrassing; but at least one musician is prepared to stand and challenge the fashionable tidal wave of HIPP guesswork.

Comment

For those who (like Ariosto, apparently) didn't read it, Kennedy's broadside against the entire musical world, and other broken-down no-hopers who can't find third position, can be read here in The Guardian.

Comment

I'm pleased you agree. You obviously understand what I'm saying.

PS Are you a string player? An orchestral msusician? Do you play the D minor Partita?

Comment

Working...
                              X