HIP but not HIPP...our Nige at the Proms

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I think Mullova has recorded the sonatas and partitas twice - this is the second of her two versions, recorded (so the sleeve tells me) on her 1750 Guadagnini with gut strings and baroque bow. I don't know if the Suk version ever made its way onto CD, I have it on LPs.

If Nige's persona was genuine it would be easier, but it's so palpably assumed, along with the carefully distressed clothing. I'm with Mr Pee on this one. There's clearly a mismatch between his playing and his persona. Fortunately there are plenty of alternatives!
    The Mullova second recording sounds interesting and (my joking apart) I will try and hear it. I particularly like Guadanini's and would be interested to hear the effect of gut strings. The one I tried was with a modern set up. I'm not so sure about the baroque bow, but I do realise it makes it easier with some chords. Does she play at A440 pitch or lower? That may also be a decider for me, or maybe not.

With Nige perhaps we should all ignore his persona? If I measure the playing against just about everyone else he comes out as at least equal to the best and better by a long way than most. Of course he doesn't look as good as those pretty girls, and I WOULD kick him out of bed, but at least he can play them into the ground. And to be honest, I was surprised at his very pure reading of the Bach. This and other reasons makes me suspicious of the scholarship of some of the other spouters, and one in particular, on these boards.

I'm told by a real authority on these matters that my enthusiasm in his support is strong. It may sound over the top but in fact when we have such a talented British musician of world class stature then perhaps, just maybe, we should give him lots of support an encouragement. After all, it doesn't happen that often that we have a Nige to sing about.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
      Does she play at A440 pitch or lower? That may also be a decider for me, or maybe not.
      Again I refer to the sleeve note which tells us she plays at A=415.

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
        Here's [...] showing how bowing (with a baroque bow) informs the phrasing. (YouTube). No punk haircut. No outrageous clothes. No gobby self-promotion. Just the music She's greatly missed.
        Absolutely beautiful, Al R Gando, and many thanks for posting that clip. While she was only playing short illustrative passages, I didn't note any of the rubato I heard in Nigel Kennedy's performance of the Bach.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Hmmm. I seem to be on my jack with this one, having found the "jazz" pieces glib beyond belief; and I'm still not sure about 18th century baroque pieces being played with gushings of rubato, maing them sound as if composed by Mendelssohn.
          I'm really amazed that you say that! His was a fairly straight reading, and there was certainly no "gushings of rubato." There are many performers of these works around who take far more liberties, and that has been going on for more than 70 years. I know the D minor well as I play it myself, and I know the possibilities. It was mostly in pretty strict time, with slight allowances made for the odd "nuance" as someone with excellent academic qualifications on these boards has described it...

EDIT: I'm off to try a Guadanini with gut strings now so you will all be pleased to hear I won't be able to answer any more queries ... until much later, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
            I'm really amazed that you say that! His was a fairly straight reading, and there was certainly no "gushings of rubato." There are many performers of these works around who take far more liberties, and that has been going on for more than 70 years. I know the D minor well as I play it myself, and I know the possibilities. It was mostly in pretty strict time, with slight allowances made for the odd "nuance" as someone with excellent academic qualifications on these boards has described it...

EDIT: I'm off to try a Guadanini with gut strings now so you will all be pleased to hear I won't be able to answer any more queries ... until much later, that is.

Have fun! See you later, Ariosto

Comment

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
              The Mullova recording rarely gets shelved-back into the cd-racks at my house, and is usually lurking around the cd-player Although the gut strings do certainly make a different sound, it's the bow which shapes the phrasing and articulation that determine this insightful and engaging performance.

Here's showing how bowing (with a baroque bow) informs the phrasing. (YouTube). No punk haircut. No outrageous clothes. No gobby self-promotion. Just the music She's greatly missed.
              If you like the rasping sound and the bulges on every note, then that's fine. I just prefer other ways of doing things.

Comment

I can't get past Nige's persona I'm afraid, I can't watch him and it gets worse when he speaks.

You and me both. I switched on the BBC4 concert for approximately 4 seconds - don't want it in the house thanks. Definitely, as they say, a face for radio. I have two or three of his recordings, and usually manage to blot out the recollection of what a [*supply preferred noun*] he is. Then again I haven't listened to any of them for a while...

Has he dropped the retch-inducing, pretentious surname-only branding? Radio Times etc seems to bill him in conventional first name - surname fashion
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I can't get past Nige's persona I'm afraid, I can't watch him
                  Watching on television I found that a few seconds into the partita I wasn't even aware of him.I was completely transfixed by the music.I am no expert, just a music lover, but I thought the chaconne was stunning.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    Watching on television I found that a few seconds into the partita I wasn't even aware of him.I was completely transfixed by the music.I am no expert, just a music lover, but I thought the chaconne was stunning.
                    He's a bit like Grayson Perry, the persona is part of the deal. He's so in-your-face with it that he makes it impossible for - some of us at any rate - to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Nice to find some real music lovers with excellent taste, and a fair degree of expertise, EdgeleyRob, there aren't many of us left.

Too many prefer Grade V beginners with rasping sounds and horrible bulges!! Makes you wonder what future there is for classical music when all these precious people who love HIP kick the hip replacement bucket.

Comment

He's a bit like Grayson Perry, the persona is part of the deal. He's so in-your-face with it that he makes it impossible for - some of us at any rate - to ignore it.
                        When the personality- or image- gets in the way of the music, then the music inevitably suffers. That is the problem with NK.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          When the personality- or image- gets in the way of the music, then the music inevitably suffers. That is the problem with NK.
                          surely its "all about the music" and nothing else ?
                          or does that just apply to orchestras from dodgy regimes ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            surely its "all about the music" and nothing else ?
                            or does that just apply to orchestras from dodgy regimes ?
                            Well if the Pittsburg SO or the Israel PO had turned up dressed in bin-liners, that would have been OK?
                            Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 10-09-11, 13:58. Reason: spelling, grammar and incomprehensibility

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              I'm afraid I have to disagree Mr Pee - but I know as a man you can take that on the chin!

I think there is a problem here, because NK played all the Bach standing rock solid, eyes closed most of the time, and almost faultlessly from memory, and delivered a very very sincere version which is probably unique to him.

It was only later that he did the showman act, and even then I found it entertaining.

If you and other people on here cannot divorce the person from the music, then there is something wrong with you. I would say rightly or wrongly, that you have a prejudice against him because he is an affront to you perception of how people should behave in the classical world. You prefer old fashioned (often false) humility and dress code, and you close your ears to the reality of what you are hearing. It's easy then to find reasons why you don't think much of his playing.

Maybe you should perform all the Bach partitas on the clarinet at the RAH and have a presentation which fits in with the establishment's expectations. The rest of us can then enjoy and benefit from Nige's performances and wallow in our own ignorance.

Comment

Only 3 sets on my shelves - Milstein, Josef Suk and Mullova's 2009 version. I often play the Mullova. I'm a plucker and own the music for the Segovia transcription for guitar and occasionally try to pick my way through the easier bits as a form of relaxation (no hope of ever playing it).
                                I heard Mullova play the D minor Partita in Bristol some years ago. She'd just starting using gut strings but not a baroque bow. I thought it was a wonderful performance. It's interesting that you mention a guitar transcription - one of the best performances of the Chaconne I've heard was given by John Williams.

I also enjoyed watching Nigel Kennedy's performance on TV and wasn't particularly bothered by his 'persona'.

Comment

Working...
                                X