The Last Night: What Would You Like to See?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Last Night: What Would You Like to See?

There has been a lot of (virtual) ink spilt on the annual jamboree that is the Last Night of the Proms.

The BBC have asked you, as Controller, to come up with a solution; a programme worthy of the occasion bearing in mind the need to reach a global radio and television audience. Apart from that you have carte blanche.

What do you choose?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    There has been a lot of (virtual) ink spilt on the annual jamboree that is the Last Night of the Proms.

The BBC have asked you, as Controller, to come up with a solution; a programme worthy of the occasion bearing in mind the need to reach a global radio and television audience. Apart from that you have carte blanche.

What do you choose?
    Not to answer your (interesting) question, but I was moved to see the concert - for a global audience - that the NY Philharmonic gave as a memorial to 9/11: a complete performance of Mahler 2. For anyone in New York it was free admission.

For a long time I've harboured this heretical idea that the last night of the great festival that is the Proms should be a single big work, but that would mean demolishing a long and much-cherished tradition. So that's not going to happen

Comment

Next year is thw diamond jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II, so I would like to see the 2nd half of the LNOTP replaced by a complete performance of Elgar's Coronation Ode. It would be different without destroying all aspects of the tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Next year is thw diamond jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II, so I would like to see the 2nd half of the LNOTP replaced by a complete performance of Elgar's Coronation Ode. It would be different without destroying all aspects of the tradition.
        Now that's a rather clever idea. As you say, it gets in at least one bit of the tradition. There seems only ever to have been one complete Proms performance, and that was in 1902 conducted by Elgar - so it's somewhat due for another airing too.

Comment

Only a 110 year gap but yes, a very good idea.

Comment

I would love to see Elgar's Coronation ode included in next year's LNOP. Be quite fitting.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              I would love to see Elgar's Coronation ode included in next year's LNOP. Be quite fitting.
              Excellent idea.

Comment

Is there a recommended line of communication for making suggestions to the BBC?

Comment

One way is to talk to Roger Wright outside the Royal Albert Hall while queuing for a prom.

Oh - I forgot; the season has finished

Don't forget that next season's programme is probable all arranged already and just needs finalising.

Comment

As I think I have said to anyone who will stand around still long enough to listen - - it is pity that someone didn't grasp the nettle some years and went the way of the Vienna New Years Day concert - programme a straight concert and leave all the "other" items to encores !

Comment

What about a rare outing for all five Pomp and Circumstance marches ?

In fact I dont think I've ever seen those programmed in any concert.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        What about a rare outing for all five Pomp and Circumstance marches
                        Or even all six.

In fact I don't think I've ever seen those programmed in any concert.
                        I think the problem here is that they lack variety when played consecutively, but if they were spread out within the concert, it might work.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Or even all six.

I think the problem here is that they lack variety when played consecutively, but if they were spread out within the concert, it might work.
                          Dodgy ground for some die-hards though, EA. Think of the blood spilt over Debussy's Images recently. They also appear seperately in concerts and on CDs.

Comment

If we assume that 2012 is JB's final Last Night, to add to the suggestion of Elgar's Coronation Ode (which would go great in the 1st part, perhaps after the obligatory Last Night new work commission), I could also suggest, perhaps more for the 2nd part:

1. Maurice Jarre (arr. Gerard Schurmann): Overture to Lawrence of Arabia
                            2. Dvorak: Prague Waltzes (never been performed at The Proms)

Comment

OK, modifying the above post with the idea that 2012 will be JB's final Last Night as BBC SO chief conductor, a slight revision to the hypothetical program. Namely, to start with Dvorak's Othello Overture. No prizes for guessing the reason why .

Comment

Working...
                              X