Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philip T's advice

Golly, it all sounds horrendously complicated - enough to put a first-timer off. I'm sure that it was much simpler when I used to queue.

As for 'regulars' being rude, I never found that, but there were always those who made sure they were in the front leaning on the barrier. I do remember queuing for the Royal Opera's prom Ring Cycle, & sleeping on the pavement overnight (with others I'd met in the queue) for Gotterdammerung. A somewhat officious type was incensed that we'd beeten him to it, & tried to insist that, as a (self-appointed) steward he should be in the front of the queue.

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Golly, it all sounds horrendously complicated - enough to put a first-timer off. I'm sure that it was much simpler when I used to queue.
    I prommed for the first time up in the Gallery this year (and first time at all for many years) and everything went like clockwork. I didn't go to the pre-event talk, but even that appeared to be very easy once I'd got my raffle ticket (I went to get something to eat instead ).

I think I could do without the crowding in the arena - judging from the bird's eye view. The Gallery was very relaxed.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      I am, of course, open to corrections and constructive suggestions. It has always been clear to me that it's tricky to get the balance right between putting people off by over-complicating the advice and having people put off by leaving out advice they could have done with.

Just asking, but when did you use to queue? There was a complete overhaul of the arrangements in 1993, but I didn't think recounting the history of that was appropriate for what I was writing.

Comment

I think PhilipT's advice is excellent. I can attest that it's all correct; most importantly, it stresses courtesy between Prommers as the most central element, not just doing things because "that's the way things are done around here." As a first time Prommer this year myself, I was worried that it was going to be mostly the latter. I'd much rather have had this information rather than the rumours and hearsay that I had heard about these "eccentrics" before I went in there the first time. As it turned out, almost everybody at the front was kind and courteous to me each time I was up there, which was only every so often (I spent the first month trying out various areas of the arena).

Mind you, I definitely met the "officious" types that Flosshilde mentions, but generally speaking I've found that they tend to be lone wolves who hover about 4-10 rows back, mainly because I think they had some sort of contretemps with so-and-so in the front row in 1972, and stare at the back of so-and-so's head in silent rancor every night since.

FF, I snuck up the Gallery a couple of times this year just to see what it was like -- and yes, what you may lose in presence, you gain in being able to spread out and relax. I met a fellow up there (hello to you, if you read this board) who told me, "My last night in the Arena was 1978, and I've never been back!"

Comment

Why don't people just go for the concert and the music?

Comment

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
            Why don't people just go for the concert and the music?
            Most of them do, I'm sure. But they have to be somewhere in the hall. We day-trippers have to make our arrangements, like everyone else.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Quite often though the ice cream and the alcohol are much nicer than the music ...

I was once a bit tiddly on the RAH platform during a tedious and boring recording for a commercial. Every time we had a few minutes off we hit the bar. Better not say anymore. (Alcohol is normally against my religion).

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
                I am, of course, open to corrections and constructive suggestions. It has always been clear to me that it's tricky to get the balance right between putting people off by over-complicating the advice and having people put off by leaving out advice they could have done with. Just asking, but when did you use to queue? There was a complete overhaul of the arrangements in 1993, but I didn't think recounting the history of that was appropriate for what I was writing.
                Philip - I'm not criticising you, or the advice you've posted - just suggesting that the whole thing sounds much more complicated than the more informal procedure when I last queued - which was a good long time ago. I moved to Scotland in 1994, & my work for a few years before that precluded queuing, so my visits tended to be seated.

Comment

Is it really so complicated. It all boils down to the stuff in bold, the rest is just amplification. Mind you, I do think the hall could make things easier by taking a leaf out of wimbledon's book and actually handing out some dos and don'ts - their equivalent of a raffle ticket is a numbered piece of card which actually explains the queueing process

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                    Mind you, I do think the hall could make things easier by taking a leaf out of wimbledon's book and actually handing out some dos and don'ts -
                    ...including applause between movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      ...including applause between movements.
                      I'm with you, but such behaviour isn't restricted to those who prom. Rather the opposite, if anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X