Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    In our brane, Einstein's speed limit for light applies, so that the speedy Italian neutrino must have somehow temporarily left our "brane" for a dimension where it could travel faster than light and then come back in again .
    I don't see that there would be any need for the neutrino to trave faster than light in the other dimension to appear to do so in ours. There now follows one of my favourite thought experiments:

Consider two physicists measuring the distances between pairs of points on the surface of their world. They do this by measuring the shortest time it takes them to move from one point to another. They know their speeds, so they can work out the distances. The world is an apple, and one physicist is an ant while the other is a maggot. The ant moves much faster than the maggot, but for short distances their results agree within experimental error. As they move to measuring longer distances their results diverge, with the maggot consistently measuring a shorter distance, because the maggot is aware of an additional dimension that the ant is not.

Comment

Neutrinos have done it again ...
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Neutrinos have done it again ...
        ... and we ca'n't blame Berlusconi this time.

But hang on - perhaps we can blame an Italian government that doesn't have any elected members!

There - I knew there was a reasonable explanation ...

Comment

Working...
        X